Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 34 Ford body alignment
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 05:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I believe the Gibbon body molds are taken from an original 34 so your hood should fit with minor trim unless something else is wrong. Remember thjat where the rear fenders join the running boards is a fixed point forward and cannot change unless you shorten the running boards. As the rear fenders arc around the body fender well, it must end at the bottom edge of the fuel tank cover in perfect alignment. Some of the parts that don't fit so well during the initial fit-up may relax some if you have some way to apply heat to the body, such as a paint spray booth overnight cook. The weather in Texas is probably too cold now to let the sun heat it up for you. Fit-up is done in two stages with a kit car. First the initial fit-up to see how close you are with the parts, then remove and re-assemble with precise fitting. The major problem with glass is the mold may be perfect but if the part is removed from the mold after two or three days and set aside for delivery, the resin will continue to cure up to 7 days. If there is stress on the part from setting on the floor, or parts stacked on top of one another, they will bend out of shape and when you get the part they don't fit. This is the difference between the body manufactures, how long do they leave the part in the mold. Think about it, one set of 34 ford fender molds, three days in the mold, five sets of fenders every three weeks, $1000 bucks per set! Outlaw leaves their parts in the mold for 7 days, three sets every three weeks, $1,200 pers set. You will make up the cost in time spent in fitting the parts. Check your running boards, for example, and I'm not trying to badmouth Gibbon because I've never assembled a Gibbon body, but try this! Take your running board and lay a straight edge one inch from the inside edge that fits to the frame (because the body overlaps the running board about 1" to the outside edge. If there is more than 1/8" bow across the board and you plan to paint, not cover the running board, you will need to fill the bow with body filler. Anything more than 1/8" and it will be noticible once you get the glossy paint on it. I assumed from your original post that this was your first glass car build, I also know that most body manufactures are not in the business of assembling bodies, just building parts, and once they have your money you're on your own. You can build your car, just fit everything twice, think ahead so you don't have to back up to correct a mistake, don't compromise, build it the best that you can and the satisfaction will be well worth all the effort.