Hot Rod Forum banner

34 ford coupe chassis build?

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  OneMoreTime 
#1 ·
hello iam starting to plan a fresh build chassis for a 34 ford coupe even though ive done all the measurements and the drawings but i would like to ask what should i look out for as this would be my first build
i plan to use independant front suspension and a diff with a 4 bar set up at the rear
i would like to use 10" wide wheels at the rear with 8" at the front the over all wheel base would be 120"
i would also like to run the exhaust in front of the rear wheels blend them in to the sills but am not sure if this is allowed coz i would want them to go through the frame to keep them high for ground clearance if anyone can give me some tips that would be greagt thanks and good work to all of you for making this forum and showing all your hard work :D :D

#3 ·
I think that you should reconsider the front wheel width as you can run into potential interference with tire height. A 60 series tire on a 6" wide wheel would work nicely.

These are ~25" tall 205/60-15 on 6" wheels.

I would probably not run the exhaust out in front of the wheels as the fumes will tend to film and eventually corrode aluminum or chrome. Some folks will run their exhaust that way, but they also spend a fair amount of cleaning time.

#4 ·
I would stick with the 6'' wheels up front.. And as far as the exhaust, You can run them out the side with no problems.. Just as long as they come past the outside of the body.. Exhaust under a car is a big no !!! no !!! IT WILL RUST OUT YOUR CAR !!!! ''VERY FAST''.. I ran the exhaust out in front of the back tires on a few of my cars with no fume problem's.. ;)

#5 ·
hi sorry for the late reply been busy working thanks for the answers the reason i was going for 8" fronts in because the car is going to be a full custom and ive never seen them on a 34 coup i just think it will keep the front a bit fatter looking with a nice low stance at the front and high rear end with big fat tyres deep dish alloys my mate brought me a pic he found of a roadster which had 16" wide rears it looked complete mad am just after doing something different
as this is my first build i have been looking at buying a compleat jag v8 for a donor as you can buy these pretty cheap and would make it easy for me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.