Hot Rod Forum banner

34 Ford Coupe Top Insert Info, Help Please..

7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  yekoms 
#1 ·
Can somebody help me find some info on how the top insert is attached to the top on a 34 Ford coupe from Ford? Books,links,pics etc.
I don't want to use the Julliano's kit. I want to use the original type top insert and tack strips but, I'm not sure how it was originally done.
I'm thinkin' of fillin' the hole with a donor roof(steel) except for the tack strip area and usin' foam padding and the original type tacking pieces.
I would like it to look stock on the outside but, not mess with the chicken wire cotton, etc.
Any thoughts and ideas would be great. Thanks,Smokey

#3 ·
Hey Dan
Thanks for the reply.
Yep, I got a sample packet and instructions for top inserts from LaBaron Bonney. They were real nice to talk to. It helped a bit but, used a Model A for an example. I still need to find out how the 33-34 wood and tack strips are setup.
I went to an original type car show this past weekend lookin' for info. Just my luck the only 34 their was a cabriolet. About 20 model A's and three 35's. Thanks again,Smokey

#4 ·
I'm glad you got a partial answer from them at least. I have always had good luck with them on cut yardage and vintage windlace.

Why couldn't you put the steel roof on and then glue an insert on like a vinyl top? Don't the inserts have trim around the edges of them, or am I hallucinating?

#5 ·
I don't know if it will help at all, because I can't say that a 32 is the same as a 34, but currently I have a 32 5 window with the original wood tack strips intact, installed and the fabric is gone from the roof. The carpet tacks are still in place, and to my knowledge, it has never been redone..

I will be happy to take pics of any part of the wood or whatever, if you think it will help.

later, mikey

Attachments

#6 ·
Mikey,
Thanks for the info. By your pics it looks to me like 32 and 34 inserts tack on the same way but the tack strip area around the opening are a little different. 35/36 and up used a rubber seal.
Your's is the first 32 that I've seen. Another guy on the Jalopy Journal HAMB Board sent me some pics of a 34 from the inside with a stock top in it.
The helpful people like yourself on these boards are just great. Thanks very much,Smokey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.