34 Ford Front Axle
I recently purchased a 34 Ford Front Axle for a T-bucket roadster i am building. All of the disc brake kits i have seen advertised are for 37 to 41. Is there anyone who makes a disc brake conversion for the 34 spindles
you need to pick up a set of 37 -48 spindles.fleamarkets have lots of these. i used a pair of 64 chevy van spindles on a 34 axle in my 30 coupe. good luck!
I believe the difference it the thickness or height of the king pin boss at the end of the axle, the 34 being thinner, you could easily make up a spacer to make up the differance, i have used early econoline spindles for these type axles, you have to cut off the factory arm and use a hot rod one from Speedway
[ February 22, 2003: Message edited by: BOBCRMAN@aol.com ]</p>
OK, here's the scoop on early Ford axles.
1. The kingpin boss thickness and hole ID are the same for passenger cars 28-48 and pickups (1/2 ton) from 1928-47.
2. All the spindles from passenger cars 28-48 and pickups (1/2 ton) will fit all the axles when using the appropriate kingpin set.
3. The 28-36 spindles are not often used on rods because they do not accept the early hydraulic brakes without adapters, and because the aftermarket disc brake kits are made for 37-48 spindles.
4. The 37-41 spindles are known as "round" spindles and they 42-48 as "square" spindles. This is from the shape of the brake backing plate mounting flange on the spindle.
5. The axle bolt or spring perch boss on the axles are 2 different thicknesses. This is the dimension mentioned in the catalogs which is critical for buying batwings and other suspension components.
Of course, there are overall length differences, spring perch boss width differences and "drop" differences over these years as well.
Hope this helps.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.