Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '34 ford motor mounts
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamothe1
I'm starting to put a 350 chevy small block in my '34 ford. I'm going to install a Heidts mustang ll IFS and side motor mounts. Right now i'm trying to figure out where to locate the motor mounts. it seams the cars I've looked at have the mounts kinda flush with the top of the frame rail. I would like to lower them about 1" as the trans (200r4) would fit better. If I lower the mount will it be more of a interference problem to get the steering connected from the steering column to the rack and pinion which is the forward mount type and does the linkage go over or under the mount?
In most cases the rack on the IFS can be angle shimmed back so the shaft going to the column will lay back down below the motor mount. If you require more room at the mount, you can grind out what you need to clearance the shaft and weld a supporting bridge to strengthen the mount. So what I am saying is, the shaft can go over, under or through the motor mount if it has to.

The floor panels of a 34 can be modified to accept a 200R4 if need be. If it is a glass car, which most buildups are now, a few cuts, some cloth and resin will get it done.

Or a combination of lowering the engine and raising the floor panels somewhat, will also get you there too. The choice is yours.