34 Ford project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2006, 10:20 AM

Last journal entry: 34 Finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

34 Ford project

Well now that I am retired it's time to actually complete my 34 Ford. I have owned it for 40 years! Bought for $50.00 and traded a 389 pontiac motor for it. Never been on the road! You know the drill, college tuition,marriage, mortgage, three boys,tuitions again, weddings, now grand childeren. I have built several cars for my sons and wife.Well it's time for me. The car is a steel five window coupe. The car has had a Buick.Pontiac 421.Chev 327 and at last I will be putting in a hotrodded small block Ford in the car with auto trans. Car is a roller now but needs some body work attention. I have to go back and fix the mistakes I made in my youth! Rare when you can actually do something like that! Has I-beam axle,juice brakes,9inch Ford rear,no engine installed. Plan on upgrading suspension under new frame rails I just bought. Probably sell the original frame etc. What is the feeling on conventional dropped "old school" front end vs IFS. Probably not going to drive more than 100 miles in any event. Looking for some parts and advice. Thanks, RHPHOTROD

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Welcome to Hotrodders........I used a dropped axle on my coupe because it was more traditional. Independent front ends are good sometimes they can cause problems with mounting fenders on full fendered rods.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

Ifs

Thanks. I am staying with the full fenders as well. Kind of like the traditional look. need more input from others.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

34' Ford project

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhphotrod
Thanks. I am staying with the full fenders as well. Kind of like the traditional look. need more input from others.
What kind of info are you looking for on your 34' Ford? I am not an expert, but I do know a few things about 34' Fords. See my photo album.
hot34coupe
Old 12-22-2006, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

34 Project

Nice ride. What manu. and drop front axle is that? I like the stance and the car looks great. Also what steering box are you using? Any problems with bump steer? Are you using standard width axle? Thanks
Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 AM
NAVY VETERAN

Last photo:

welcome aboard
nice ride BTW
Old 12-22-2006, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

34 Ford project

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhphotrod
Nice ride. What manu. and drop front axle is that? I like the stance and the car looks great. Also what steering box are you using? Any problems with bump steer? Are you using standard width axle? Thanks
The axle is a 4" drop Superbell, 46". The steering is a 68' Mustang steering box setup with cross steering. Have only driven it a couple times as I am still working on it. I put a front panhard bar on it when I was building the front suspension, so bump steering should not be a problem.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:59 PM

Last journal entry: Original wood for Drip pan
Last photo:

Just came upon your post doing a 34 ford search. How is the coupe coming along or do you even still have it? I have a 34 3 window project myself and like to see what others are doing.

Jack.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Jack,
Yes, I still have my 34', I have owned it for 20 years and have no plans on getting rid of it anytime soon. I have it pretty well finished,( there never really finished) I will add some newer pics of the car to my photo album. I flamed the outside with Ca-Kid style flames and carried the theme to the inside of the car with black and maroon leather. Flamed the door panels and headliner and did the same to the trunk. I am planning on adding fenders eventually when A friend diggs out a set of steel 34's from his barn up in KY. I am using a Jag XJS rear end so will have to widen the rear fenders to fit the tires inside the fenderwells.........Kyle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12-12-3.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	39577   Click image for larger version

Name:	flamejob1.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	39578  
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Last photo:

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the reply,
Good to hear from you. I have owned my 3 window for 43 years and am in the process of re-doing what I started 43 years ago. I looked at your photo gallery and like what you have done. Your coupe looks like it has a mild chop. If so , how much? I am trying to keep mine "old school" but have added the Unisteer rack and pinion and a new aluminum radiator. To keep it old school I have replaced the 46 ford brakes with 58-60 Buick alum brake drums including the backing plates on the front axle. I should add that I drove the coupe for 15 years after the first "build" and am now trying to fix the early mistakes and improve the drive ability after ignoring it for 20 or so years. The coupe has the Pont. 389 I used for the first build but I have a Pont. 461 ready to drop in after I get the chassis done. Hope to hear more from you on your build.''

Jack.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Welcome to the site....
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

New Interiors

Thank you,
I assume from your handle you do auto interiors? I do my own upholstery work on my cars. Not a full fledged trimmer but I get by. Just like to do every part of the build myself. Kind of a self satisfaction thing. I have a question for you. I am building a custom bench seat for my 34 from scratch and need to find a source I can buy 4-6 inch foam to pad the seat frame and sculpt the design of the seat before doing the actual upholstery. I need some pieces 40" x 28". Anyone you would recommend to buy from?
thanks, Kyle
Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

Lets see more

Hi Kyle,
Now that we got this thread going again lets see more pics of your latest progress.

Jack.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot34coupe
Thank you,
I assume from your handle you do auto interiors? I do my own upholstery work on my cars. Not a full fledged trimmer but I get by. Just like to do every part of the build myself. Kind of a self satisfaction thing. I have a question for you. I am building a custom bench seat for my 34 from scratch and need to find a source I can buy 4-6 inch foam to pad the seat frame and sculpt the design of the seat before doing the actual upholstery. I need some pieces 40" x 28". Anyone you would recommend to buy from?
thanks, Kyle
Kyle.I only played around a little with Interiors.I wanted to learn alot more about it but didn't have the time to learn more about it..I'm way to busy doing custom Fab work for a lot of other's and myself...But I got a lot of my stuff from here...http://www.yourautotrim.com/ Hope this help's you out..
Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

You could also check in with DanTwoLakes on this site for interior suggestions and advice.

454 RATTLER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.