Hot Rod Forum banner

34 Ford project

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  The Flyin Wop 
#1 ·
Well now that I am retired it's time to actually complete my 34 Ford. I have owned it for 40 years! Bought for $50.00 and traded a 389 pontiac motor for it. Never been on the road! You know the drill, college tuition,marriage, mortgage, three boys,tuitions again, weddings, now grand childeren. I have built several cars for my sons and wife.Well it's time for me. The car is a steel five window coupe. The car has had a Buick.Pontiac 421.Chev 327 and at last I will be putting in a hotrodded small block Ford in the car with auto trans. Car is a roller now but needs some body work attention. I have to go back and fix the mistakes I made in my youth! Rare when you can actually do something like that! Has I-beam axle,juice brakes,9inch Ford rear,no engine installed. Plan on upgrading suspension under new frame rails I just bought. Probably sell the original frame etc. What is the feeling on conventional dropped "old school" front end vs IFS. Probably not going to drive more than 100 miles in any event. Looking for some parts and advice. Thanks, RHPHOTROD

#2 ·
Welcome to Hotrodders........I used a dropped axle on my coupe because it was more traditional. Independent front ends are good sometimes they can cause problems with mounting fenders on full fendered rods. :welcome:

#7 ·
rhphotrod said:
Nice ride. What manu. and drop front axle is that? I like the stance and the car looks great. Also what steering box are you using? Any problems with bump steer? Are you using standard width axle? Thanks
The axle is a 4" drop Superbell, 46". The steering is a 68' Mustang steering box setup with cross steering. Have only driven it a couple times as I am still working on it. I put a front panhard bar on it when I was building the front suspension, so bump steering should not be a problem.

#9 ·
Jack,
Yes, I still have my 34', I have owned it for 20 years and have no plans on getting rid of it anytime soon. I have it pretty well finished,( there never really finished) I will add some newer pics of the car to my photo album. I flamed the outside with Ca-Kid style flames and carried the theme to the inside of the car with black and maroon leather. Flamed the door panels and headliner and did the same to the trunk. I am planning on adding fenders eventually when A friend diggs out a set of steel 34's from his barn up in KY. I am using a Jag XJS rear end so will have to widen the rear fenders to fit the tires inside the fenderwells.........Kyle

Attachments

#10 ·
Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the reply,
Good to hear from you. I have owned my 3 window for 43 years and am in the process of re-doing what I started 43 years ago. I looked at your photo gallery and like what you have done. Your coupe looks like it has a mild chop. If so , how much? I am trying to keep mine "old school" but have added the Unisteer rack and pinion and a new aluminum radiator. To keep it old school I have replaced the 46 ford brakes with 58-60 Buick alum brake drums including the backing plates on the front axle. I should add that I drove the coupe for 15 years after the first "build" and am now trying to fix the early mistakes and improve the drive ability after ignoring it for 20 or so years. The coupe has the Pont. 389 I used for the first build but I have a Pont. 461 ready to drop in after I get the chassis done. Hope to hear more from you on your build.''

Jack.

#12 ·
New Interiors

Thank you,
I assume from your handle you do auto interiors? I do my own upholstery work on my cars. Not a full fledged trimmer but I get by. Just like to do every part of the build myself. Kind of a self satisfaction thing. I have a question for you. I am building a custom bench seat for my 34 from scratch and need to find a source I can buy 4-6 inch foam to pad the seat frame and sculpt the design of the seat before doing the actual upholstery. I need some pieces 40" x 28". Anyone you would recommend to buy from?
thanks, Kyle

#14 ·
hot34coupe said:
Thank you,
I assume from your handle you do auto interiors? I do my own upholstery work on my cars. Not a full fledged trimmer but I get by. Just like to do every part of the build myself. Kind of a self satisfaction thing. I have a question for you. I am building a custom bench seat for my 34 from scratch and need to find a source I can buy 4-6 inch foam to pad the seat frame and sculpt the design of the seat before doing the actual upholstery. I need some pieces 40" x 28". Anyone you would recommend to buy from?
thanks, Kyle
Kyle.I only played around a little with Interiors.I wanted to learn alot more about it but didn't have the time to learn more about it..I'm way to busy doing custom Fab work for a lot of other's and myself...But I got a lot of my stuff from here...http://www.yourautotrim.com/ Hope this help's you out.. ;)

#16 ·
!933 Ford 3 winda'

I know I'm a little late.Seems like half of you guys are on the same boat as I am.glad to feel I'm not the only one.I got mine when I was 15 and now 61.Everyone heard the story,but I got time now,still low on bucks but what the hell,that never stopped anyone right?
Paisano

#19 ·
34 with droped axel

i have a 32 2dr sedan,used a 1965 comet box mounted behind front crosmember and cross steer,be sure to have cross steer rod paralell with tie rod,i used a panhard and made a sway bar,steering is 71 mustang and shaft straight to box with 1 ujoint. works great no bump steer, no need for power steering,hsd to do some bending on box arm,heated it and let cool slowly. i used smbford and moved it 1in to the right so as to have st steering shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.