Hot Rod Forum banner

34 Plymouth coupe PE

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  39 master 
#1 ·
I currently have a 1934 plymouth coupe which I'm trying to put on a 1932 ford frame extending the wheel base to 110-112" (stock 32 frame is 106"). The guy who was building my frame dropped the ball and was unable to finish it. The frame is 80% complete minus the rear end of it which does not match the curve of the stock 34 frame. The guy who was working on it found a guy on some web site with complete details on how to do exactly what I'm trying to do. The guy who was building my frame is no longer in the picture and I can not get a hold of him to see how to finish the 32 frame (he had a drawing with all the dimensions). Anyone out there have any ideas as to someone who has done this and is willing to give me the information I need so I can finish my frame into a rolling chassis? Thank you.

#2 ·
Always had a soft spot for '33-'34 Plymouths, best looking of all the early cars. You're in a tuff spot but you already know that. The American Stamping '32 frame rails really don't lend themselves to the body curves of the Plymouth and the thickness is wrong too. Years ago I got a '33 Willys body with no frame. Turned it upside down, got the floorpan curve, wheelbase and width. We built a frame from 3/16" 2" x 3" rectangular tubing and it worked great. Fast forward to this year. Now have a '39 Chevy and decided to build a new frame. Used two sticks of 2" x 4" 3/16" rectangular for the build. No blueprints of the original frame were found so I jacked the car up and plub bobed the points onto the floor and made full size blueprints. Used Welder Series front suspension, 8.8 ford rear with air bags and triangle four bar. Cost of a roller was under $1000 and surprisingly easy to do. Highly recommend you go this route. Can't build a house on shifting sands.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info; the 32 Ford rails have been modified to fit the width of the Plymouth coupe and it will end up as a high boy which is fine by me, but it is the rear section that I am struggling with right now. I still have the original frame and the back half is good on it, so if nothing else I will mate the two together to get the correct length I'm looking for and the arch for the rear end will be correct. I just am hesitant spicing an old frame onto a new one. Again thanks for your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.