34 Progress - Page 14 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Looks really nice. Hope my deuce turns out as nice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Holy Santa Clause Gonads!!! Looks really great! I've skimmed through you thread, researching the HF HVLP guns again, and last I saw this project was still being painted. Looks really good.

Question, is the floor made out of plywood or was that just a cover of sort? I know I've seen wood floors in similar models. I'm just curious why sheet metal wasn't used if the floor is indeed wood. To make it more period correct? Would you mind if I sent a few questions your way when it comes time to paint and wet sand my project car? I promise to bombard you with questions, as I've bought books and have researched this subject a lot, but it always helps to get feedback and to have questions answered by an experienced person such as yourself.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Last photo:

The floor is fiberglass, as is the rest of the car. I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Vince
Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 AM

Overlap with paint

The paint job on your Hotrod Looks Great.
Since you used the Purple Spray gun can you tell mw what the overlap was you sprayed with ?
I knoticed no tiger stripes at all.
Were you overlapping more than 75% on each pass ?

thanks
52F1
Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52F1
The paint job on your Hotrod Looks Great.
Since you used the Purple Spray gun can you tell mw what the overlap was you sprayed with ?
I knoticed no tiger stripes at all.
Were you overlapping more than 75% on each pass ?

thanks
52F1
Overlap was 50% or a little less. I was surprised at the lack of tiger stripes the PPG product exhibited. A lesser quality product probably would have tiger striped.

Vince
Old 05-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Overlap was 50% or a little less. I was surprised at the lack of tiger stripes the PPG product exhibited. A lesser quality product probably would have tiger striped.

Vince

That is Amazing Only 50% Wow
Most paints would have tiger striped at 50%
I usually use 75%

And the paint you were shooting if I remember right had a Lot of clear in it...Almost like a candy ??

You did a GREAT Job!!! I think the guy holding the spray gun was GOOD

52F1
Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Vince
I just read the whole thread nice and informatively I know you said you used two gallons of paint did you use two gallon's of spray or one gallon of base mixed 1+1 or did you use two gallons of base coat cut 1+1 ie. four gallons of spray color I am getting ready to do a 37 FORD WILDROD in the next week or so I am using the ppg deltron 2000 bd/cc in red med. the gm # is 164b it looks good in the book in and out of the sun I just hope it turns out as nice as yours. oh I am using the 2021 ppg clear to. how much clear did you use all to gather?if you don't mind me asking?oh yes I know what you mean about the $$$$$$$ just hope the wife don't see the bill

thanks OLDROD
Old 05-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39 OLDROD
I just read the whole thread nice and informatively I know you said you used two gallons of paint did you use two gallon's of spray or one gallon of base mixed 1+1 or did you use two gallons of base coat cut 1+1 ie. four gallons of spray color I am getting ready to do a 37 FORD WILDROD in the next week or so I am using the ppg deltron 2000 bd/cc in red med. the gm # is 164b it looks good in the book in and out of the sun I just hope it turns out as nice as yours. oh I am using the 2021 ppg clear to. how much clear did you use all to gather?if you don't mind me asking?oh yes I know what you mean about the $$$$$$$ just hope the wife don't see the bill

thanks OLDROD
Two gallons un-reduced DBC 2000, and two gallons DCU2002 un-reduced clear. I have about 3/4 of a gallon un-reduced clear left over, and one gallon reduced DBC left over.

Vince

Vince
Old 05-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Two gallons un-reduced DBC 2000, and two gallons DCU2002 un-reduced clear. I have about 3/4 of a gallon un-reduced clear left over, and one gallon reduced DBC left over.

Vince

Vince
Thanks Vince what is the difference in 2021 clear and 2002 if you know? I called the paint store today but most places have one person that knows his well you know what i mean and he was out today the gentleman that answered the phone was not sure said that most all the guys around here only use 2021 better UV Protection he thought. I tryed to look it up but the ppg site is a pain to!

thank OLDROD MAN THAT CAR LOOKS NICE
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Last photo:

I was going to use PPG newer clears like DC3000, but was advised against that and told to use DCU2002. The owner of Southern Polyurethanes Barry told me that PPG DCU2002 was most like the clear he sells that is so popular. I would have used Barry's clear but I wanted to stick with PPG products. The DCU2002 goes on like glass if the gun is set properly and the air pressure is sufficient. It needs to be cut & buffed within the first couple of weeks of application or it gets as hard as concrete. It is not a production clear as most of PPG's are. Get the spec sheets on PPG clears and read them, most are designed for production shops or to be used in a forced heat drying booth. I cannot say enough good things about 2002, I am by no means a pro painter but I achieved excellent results with it and highly recommend it.

PS It has been my experience that the counter people at the paint jobber will steer you to the wrong product that you need, and actually know very little about their products.

Vince
Old 05-15-2009, 06:08 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
PS It has been my experience that the counter people at the paint jobber will steer you to the wrong product that you need, and actually know very little about their products.

Vince
I can second Vince's statement - the owner of my paint store is very good but the help ..... well if you are asking for their real life advice, you best have done your homework first and have the basics of the product

Dave W
Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I can second Vince's statement - the owner of my paint store is very good but the help ..... well if you are asking for their real life advice, you best have done your homework first and have the basics of the product

Dave W
Dave you got that right as Vince said the counter people are lost so I will check back Monday when the paint man gets back from vacation or where ever he went I can wait and get the right stuff at the $$$$$ of ppg I don't need any mess ups on clear.Just to to give you a idea of one of the counter people I ask for a small can of bondo glass jell as i had a couple of small holes to fill he said they did't carry bondo he spoke English but did not understand it i guess boy we are blessed with them here i guess they hired him for the wet back CLIENTELE yea yea i know an't PC

later OLDROD
Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

hey man wheres this at?. i love the 3 and 5 window coupes.. my dream build
Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06
hey man wheres this at?. i love the 3 and 5 window coupes.. my dream build
Which car are you referring to? Is it this one?

Latest picture in front of our house.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 06-17-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Army Strong

Last wiki edit: How to remove a VW Type I body
Last journal entry: well once again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

yup. i just wanted to se a current pic of it

thanks

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.