Hot Rod Forum banner

34 Progress

119K views 223 replies 43 participants last post by  geezer69 
#1 · (Edited)
Several of yuze guys have been asking about how my car is coming. Time has been in short supply lately, but I have been dedicating just about every waking free moment to it. The car has been completely disassembled for the last time. The body is off the frame and on a rolling fixture. I am hoping to paint either late September or early October when it cools off a bit. I have devoted a huge amount of time in getting the deck lid to fit correctly with even gaps. The body where the deck lid meets had also been consuming a huge amount of time. The glass work in the channels was very course and needed to be smoothed out first. I then layed on a good layer of Evercoat Rage and sanded most of it off to arrive at some nice looking deck lid channels.

The pics show the first application of Evercoat MX241 polyester primer around the deck lid opening and the front cowl area. The cowl area also required a large amount of work to smooth it up. There were portions that had very rough glass work with some divots and other defects that had to be corrected. The first coat of primer really shows up the things you don't really notice when you are roughing up the raw glass. It will reveal lots of pinholes that will be filled before the second coat goes on.

All the voids that existed around the front windshield opening have been repaired and it looks good.

I am next turning my attention to the door openings that also have some rough glass work to be corrected and filled. After the above items have been taken care of I will apply several heavy coats of MX241 to the entire body. It will then be block sanded again and a coat of PPG K36 2K primer/surfacer will be applied followed by another block sanding session. I have just about removed my fingerprints with all the sanding that has been going on :pain: . Following that a final coat of PPG K36 will be applied and wet sanded with 600 to hopefully arrive at a ready for paint body.

The fenders, running boards, gas tank cover have all been primed and block sanded once.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Vince,, nice job on the coupe,, who is the body manufacter?? I can relate to the work involved in building a glass car,, we just finished a 33 Rats Glass coupe in sept, of last year,, it was a 21/2 year project, and we worked on it every day,, except when it was in the paint or trim shop, the side windows on it were 2 completely different configurations, we had to make our own garnish moldings, and many other problems that came up, just hang in there and take it one step at a time,, you'll really enjoy it when its done,, nice work by the way,, check it out on my project journal,,, Bill

#9 ·
Bill Parten said:
SAME goes for Rats glass,, they are terrable,, flat spots on EVERY panel Bill
Great work Bill, really looks terrific. My project will be 2 years this November working when I have the time, which isn't every day. I can't hardly wait until I get to the interior stage.

Vince

#13 ·
Another shot, this time of my crowded garage. It is amazing how many body parts a full fendered 34 Ford has. I barley have room for my chassis and the wifes Tahoe. The garage is a mess, sanding dust gets on everything and is everywhere. I use a leaf blower at the end of a work session to blow out the garage before bringing in the wifes car.

Vince

Attachments

#15 ·
baddbob said:
Looks like a couple of iwata copies in the mix :thumbup: QUOTE]

Yep a W400 and I'm not sure about the red one. Actually the one on the far left is a HF HVLP gun that actually sprays real well. I haven't used the other three yet, and don't know if I will since they are not HVLP. :(

Yeah your garage may be messier, but you got a 69 Camaro in the mix :drool:

Vince

#16 · (Edited)
Another progress installment

Well folks, got some more pieces painted this weekend. Friday morning was fairly cold, in the upper 40's when I arrived at the paint booth. promptly turned on the heater and waited for the temp to get in the 70's in the booth. Plan was to paint the underside of the deck lid and the undersides of my 4 piece Rootlieb hood. Mixed up some DBC and DT885 and went into the booth. I did not run the exhaust fan while painting because it would reduce the temp in the booth very quickly. Turned off the heaters, sprayed the first coat, exited the booth and turned on the exhaust fan for a few minutes, then turned it off and turned the heater back on. I applied 3 good coats of DBC extending the time between coats to about 45 minutes each. I used my venerable Harbor Freight purple gun and it laid the color down superb. Mixed up some DCU2002 clear and DCX61 hardener and loaded it into my new W-400 Chinese clone. this is the first time I have used the W-400 clone so I was anxious to see how well it applied the clear. Turned off the heater and went into the booth. Adjusted the gun on some masking paper I had taped to the wall, and got a real good pattern. Started to lay on the first coat of clear and was not impressed. this gun was not atomizing the clear near as well as the HF gun did previously. And it was putting out a huge amount of over spray compared the the HF gun. The W-400 is not an HVLP gun and I was expecting this, but not the extent it was. I sprayed clear on one hood panel then dumped the remaining mixed clear into my HF gun. I am simply amazed at the HF gun, it is without a doubt the best value in knock off guns IMO. The ability of this gun to lay down base then adjust and lay down clear superbly is fantastic. I applied 3 good coats of clear to everything waiting about 45 minutes to an hour between coats to allow for the cooler temps. The pieces looked great, no orange peal, no runs and a mirror like finish. I cleaned up everything and turned the lights off in the booth and went home until the next morning.

Every Saturday about half of our club meets in the shop to go to breakfast, so by the time I got there quite a few of them had already checked out my work. I jokingly got several offers to paint some cars, but I declined. The pieces still looked fantastic, but now they were dry. Below is a snapshot of the underside of my hood. The pearl and metallic in this paint mix really jump out in the direct sunlight.

Vince

#23 ·
baddbob said:
DZ, you're paint and bodywork looks second to none! Very nice!!!! Bob
Thanks Bob, just practicing for the exterior pieces, body, hood, fender, running boards, deck lid. Next on the paint list is the fenders and running boards. Hope it goes as well as the rest has so far. This weekend I will be doing a spring cleaning on the paint booth I have been using. It needs a good cleaning before I do the big pieces.

Vince

#24 ·
Paint booth repaint

Repainted the paint booth and a general cleaning underway. New light bulbs and cleaning years of paint from the glass on the fixtures. next step is changing out all the filters. getting ready to roll the 34 into the booth.

Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.