347 Oil filter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2004, 08:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

347 Oil filter

I'm working on a 1957 Pontiac 347 engine. I found the oil filter canister in the trunk of the car, 4 door Starcheif hard top. It had the long bolt, an old dirty metal filter, but that was it. The canister is not flat like the Chevy's that I know. It has a dome on the end with a drain plug. I bought the new filter but it seems like there are some parts missing. I'm sure if I install it just like that, the oil will bypass the filter element through the dome. I'm thinking there is some kind of oil blocker with a spring maybe or some other type of setup that goes there. Does anyone know about this? Where I can find the answer or parts. Or maybe how to fabricate something that can substitute the original. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2004, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Oil filter

I would recommend getting a conversion kit, and going to a spin on type filter. There may well be a conversion kit for your engine. Other wise it will require doing some adapting hoses to your current fittings, and mounting a remote filter unit somewhere under the hood. These remote filter mounting units are found commonly in any speed equipment magazine. I would recommend contacting Summit or Jegs about a kit for changing your engine over from a canister to a spin on oil filter.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:28 PM

I was hoping to keep it stock. I'm also in somewhat of a rush. I'm doing this at my school and the professor is nagging me to get it out of there. Probably by next week. It is a good alternate solution though! I'm very well aware of the idea you mention, and I'm thinking about the spin on type as the solution.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

347 oil filter

I dont know if the canister oil filter setup from a small block Chevy of the same time period would work or not. You might try contacting one of the Chevy specialty houses that deals in reproducing stuff like that. OR, You could check out a junk yard in area that might have some old cars of that era.
Here are a couple links I pulled up on my pc by typing in Pontiac Auto Parts. These two places look like they may have what you are looking for.

pontiac-parts-for-less.com

kanter.com/p22-pon.html
Old 11-24-2004, 10:06 PM

MeligN,

You are correct. There is a flat washer that has a spring on it that pushes the filter up against the block. It should have very little space between the center bolt and the washer.
The Bolt also needs a copper gasket so oil will not leak from the bolt.

Scholman
Old 11-24-2004, 10:50 PM

I figured it was something like that! I actually went down to the hardware store and purchased a washer that fit just perfectly but I've been having issues with the spring. I'm concerned with the oil pressure factor. My professor gave me spring from a tranny, servo or accumulator. I just feel unsure about the spring tension. There is also a groove on the bolt, I think an o-ring or maybe a snap ring should go there. I got an o-ring for it but I'm unsure about it. I was going to use this setup until I asked someone who knew a little more about old cars than I, that's when they told me not to mess around with it because of it's affects on the oil pressure. So this is the part where I came to you guys for advice, and it seems I was right all along. I think I'm going to try the washer, just need to get a good spring.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.