347 stroker - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 05:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

347 stroker

i put a 347 into my 68 torino, and i was wondering what you guys thought, i know i should have a 390 in it, but it was almost free for me to do, so i went with what i had. the 347 has a 3/4 racing cam ( crane cam), forged pistions, stock head makeing around 9.5:1 compression, edlebrock air-gap intake, holly 670 double pumper, flowtech ceramic headers, splitfire spark plugs, msd 8mm wires, 3" dynomax superturbo muffers, stopped off before the rear end, and PATC level 2 C-4 trany with an 1800 stall and a "C" ratio servo and a level 2 shift kit, and i have the stock 8.8 rearend with 2:73 gears. any ideas or opinions on what i should do would be a big help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004, 06:30 AM
brains

Last photo:

If your happy with the 347 keep it, its your car, do with it what ever makes you the happiest. Now with that being said here is my opinion.
The 347 is a great stroker motor for mustangs or smaller cars. The torino is fairly heavy, you would have alot more power going with a 351w. The windsor also can be stroked to 393, 408, 418, 427, 433 depending on your budget and what type of heads you plan on using. Some advantages you have with the 351w over a 390 is weight and there are 10times as many performance parts for the windsors, at 1/2 the cost. The 347's dont really live as long as the 302 or 331 because they have so much stroke, If I remember right they use a 1.10 compression height piston which means the wrist pin is into the oil groove. Although its debatable I never liked running the wrist pins into the oil rings. If it was mine I would sell the 347 and build a stroker 351w to 408ci, if your on a budget go with the 393ci. If you are happy with the 347 then I would at least buy a set of nice heads for it, this will make all the difference in the world.

Ben
Old 04-20-2004, 11:06 AM

The 347 is a great little motor thats what I am running in my mustang and I absolutley love it. Its easy to work on light and has tons of power. What you need to do is get some heads for that bad boy stock ford heads suck get some edelbrock rpm heads or some AFR's and that baby will scream changing from stock heads your looking at 80-to 100 horsepower when ported and polished and matched to your intake. I had a similar set up as you with stock 289 heads changed to some performer rpm heads WOW huge difference. You already have the motor stick with it youll be surprised.

Also get some gears for that baby 3.55's would be nice
Old 04-20-2004, 02:27 PM

Put the Torino on hold?

Did you already install this set-up? If not, find yourself a nice fox body stang for this drivetrain, and enter the world of light weight and low cost Hi performance. The 8.8 would need to be modified for the torino leaf applicaion btw and just seems strange to put a late c-clip 3rd member in this application IMO.

Keep your eyes open for a light fox body (clean 4 cyl notch-oh yea) and light up the town with that stroker 347 (bigger brakes needed though...). Go for the throat without upsetting a 60's classic car. Preserve the Torino for the FE you would rather have down the road, and build a hotrod in the meantime!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If I understand your question right, you're wondering if you can get the performance out of this car that you want, and if you need to change the motor to do it, right? Before you even think about changing the motor, do two things first:

1. Put a higher gear ratio in it (so like a 3.50 or higher). This will take advantage of the power your motor is making now. I've heard from many builders that unless you change the gears in your car, you may not even notice a 50 horse difference in the motor, given that it comes on so slow.

2. You might want to think about a higher stall, something like 2400. I am not crazy about stall converters, and it doesn't sound like you are either, but a converter is something else that can make a world of difference in your performance. 2400 is a nice, streetable, conservative yet functional stall. Jegs' converters are made by TCI and I would be willing to bet you could get yourself one for under 200 bucks (the TH350 ones are like 90 dollars!).

If you do these upgrades and still decide you want more motor, cool, but both of these upgrades will complement your new mill as well, so its money well spent. In short, my advice to you is allow your motor to perform at its peak, allow your transmission, rear, and chassis to work with your 347, not against it, and you will very likely feel something that is very similar to a 50-100 horsepower difference under your foot!

Hope that helps-

K
Old 04-20-2004, 10:41 PM

so keeping the motor that this kid has and tranny and 2.73 rear,
what will that tank of a car run?

(J/k mike)
Old 04-21-2004, 06:57 AM

'68 Torino is a Unibody

Although no light weight, I now a guy who runs a warmed up 351 in a '68 Torino 2-door sedan. Pretty effective and hardly tank like.

Do not mistake the early Torino's with the "Starsky and Hutch" body on frame versions of the seventies. A '68 is probobly gonna weigh no more than 3500 lbs. They are based off the Fairlane which has similarities to the Falcon/Mustang chassis.

A properly set-up small block would be fine with gears in the 3.20 range and decent stall to get movin.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:04 AM
brains

Last photo:

The 1968 torino has a curb weight of 3890 + driver so were talking at least 4000lbs total.

If yo ukeep that motor junk the heads, you need a good set of heads either way

Last edited by brainsboy; 04-21-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

"3/4" is an antiquated term to describe a cam. It really doesn't give or tell too much info to be of any use. Since this isn't exactly a light weight car, I'd think about a cam that'll make as most street torque as possible with your 9.5 compression along with some mid 3 series gears and a modest converter. I'd also keep the stock 8" axle or 9" and forget about swapping the 8.8" in. IMO, in the long run, going this route will cost you more money.

Since we really don't know the cam, it's possible that the motor doesn't have enough compression for it. This will only hurt low speed torque. Work with a cam rep to pick the right cam & gear for your motor size & compression for your real driving requirements, not imagined!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:23 AM

i am really starting to think about the 351w block and working with that, and im still thinking about changing my gears in the futrue as well, the bad thing about my motor is that i dont know much about it, i had a company named sun racing built my block and they didnt really tell me anything about it, other then what is on the receipt, and i also think they went out of business not to long again, so what i have is really up in the air
Old 04-21-2004, 12:04 PM
brains

Last photo:

The 351 stroker is a great choice, but with it you need a good set of heads. Ford stock heads just wont cut the mustard in a stroker. So since you need heads no matter which choice you make, buy a good set and try them on your 347 motor. If you still feel you want more power, then build a 351 stroker, at least now you already have the heads a 351 will need.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:32 PM

I agree either way you have to get heads if you want the motor to perform If money is no object then a 408 stroker would undoubtly be a better motor for your ride but you have the 347 already slap some AFR's on it and some gears and give her a go
Old 04-21-2004, 12:42 PM

uh huh

I agree with Nitrous 69, as the saying goes "a bird in hand..." Do not underestimate the 347. The 5.0 based strokers will always be lighter than the Windsor, and the smaller crank journals are more efficient albeit less heavy duty than the 351. However, this extra beefiness and block stability is reassuring when under boost or NOS...

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.