Hot Rod Forum banner

348/409 headers

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  327NUT 
#1 ·
Hi there, First time post for me but have been looking awhile. My project is a 53 Chevy pickup that I have been working on for several years. It has a stock rebuilt 348 engine, and I will be using a GM Tbi injection on it. What I was wondering is would there be any advantage to running headers on this motor vs the stock manifold. Mpg would be the only gain I think I would gain and minimal at that. This will be a daily driver pickup so reliability is a factor. Whats your thoughts? Thanks Seth

#5 ·
headers or 348

your post makes no sense to me? maybe educate me rather than post against me.I dont know of any single improvement you can make to any engine that is better than headers.
some people might not need any power or fuel economy inprovements,Im not sure why you are against headers.,,,Im not selling headers,Im just stating they are a good thing for mileage or power,just use the correct size tubes.

#6 ·
Thanks for the comments, I think we are all on the same page of it may be of some benefit but other than looks, not really justifiable do to the cost of W block headers. I will try to get some pics of my project on here when I have a little time. Pics make things more interesting. Seth

#8 ·
Vinnie, appologies for my choice of verbage... like the man said this is a stock rebuild, he's looking for mileage and dependability. He's not going to be out pushing the rpm limit where a good set of headers would really justify the cost. Just cruising around town he would never notice any performance or gas mileage benefits. Have you priced a decent set of 348/409 headers lately? $475 - $575, I don't think old Jere Stahl even makes an over the counter header anymore, just custom stuff $$$$$$$$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.