35 Chevy Pickup-S10 Frame or something different? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2008, 06:34 PM

Last journal entry: So, here are a few more pics of the '28
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

35 Chevy Pickup-S10 Frame or something different?

I recently traded my '28 Chevy Coupe for a '35 Chevy Pickup project. Have wanted one for years so now the hard work starts. I have the cab, and front sheet metal, a 305 TPI motor and 700R4 that came with, along with an original frame. The frame has a tacked in Cutlass rear end that was primarily there so that it was a roller, the previous owner hacked off about 3 and a half feet of the rear frame, which I also have. There is no front suspension.

I am considering a S10 Frame which I know has been talked about in detail on this and other forums. Primarily a $ consideration for me as well as an overall stance I hope to achieve. I am worried though that the frame is too wide about the same place the cab would sit, or just in front. So, if you are standing in front of a S10 frame the frame kicks out both left and right on the respective frame rails, which will be wider than the cab of the '35.

Can this area be safely trimmed? What about cutting a section, then flipping it and re-welding so that the curves occur on the inside of the frame rail now? Appreciate your wisdom and advice. Thanks.
Attached Images

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 08:26 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Your pics are too small to see any detail.

S-10? NO

I say that because I doubt you can make it work with newbie skills, plus it will look bogus with the stock fenders. Be practical if this is your first build and on a budget.

How bad is the stock frame? Where is it cut?

If you can save the rails & crossmembers; I'd work on other things until you can afford a dropped parallel leaf front axle.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:42 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

looks like a poor attempt at a bobber truck to me, with the hacked off rails and all.

if the original frame is too far hacked up to save, you could have a frame built out of 2X3 steel tubing
Old 09-13-2008, 08:56 AM

Last journal entry: So, here are a few more pics of the '28
Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. The frame...

The original frame has only been removed behind where the rear axel originally sat. I have this section to weld back on. To tack weld the Cutlass rear end onto the original frame there minor cuts the previous owner made a few cuts, but metal was folded out of the way and not entirely eliminated so I can easily restore this area. This was primarily done he said to roll the vehicle around while he worked on installing a MSII on a toyota truck frame (also a little stubby in my opinion, but a narrow frame).

While I have installed Camaro subframes in the past, the stock 35 frame really tapers and narrows toward the front which left me with either a Mustang II, tube frame (no money for this right now), and the S10 longbed frame option you can find on Craigslist for little to no money. Looks like using an S10 would require a Vega steering box so the fendor on the driver's side would not rub, and perhaps a body drop of some type for the cab.

Sounds like though staying with the original will be the best idea. I have found a few MS11 hub to hubs that are reasonably priced but not for the 1935 frame--only for a 1937 Chevy Pickup and up. Any good leads?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
Junk Yard Junkie!

Last photo:

If you want to use an S10 frame, you might to chopp and modify. it almost 50 inches wide where the firewall would go!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.