Hot Rod Forum banner

$35 Electric Steering with Fail-Safe: No eBay module needed. Pics & Videos !

51K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  JeffB28 
#1 · (Edited)
It has been a while since I posted on this forum. I am not making or selling anything. I have posted this on couple of other forums and this is not for everyone.

Some of you have manual steering and I though you might like to see how added electric assisted power steering in my 1964 Falcon. Some of you may have come across the Saturn Vue conversions but I think I have found even cheaper and better alternative with no caster issues!

My testing shows that most Japanese branded cars and SUV with electric steering works in Fail-Safe mode if the control unit (ECU) is disconnected from CAN BUS. The effort in Fail-Safe mode feels just right like my 2013 Honda Civic. Not too much and not too little. Just like Hydraulic Steering, if the Electric Assisted Steering completely fails, the steering is back to completely manual mode maintaining car control.

The biggest advantage of using EPS from Toyota, Nissan and Kia/Hyundai is that the EPS works in Fail-Safe. The ECU for the column is mounted remotely and cab be disconnected and removed. The EPS from Saturn Vue and Chevy Cobalt has the ECU that cannot be disconnected and must be de-soldered for remote mount. More importantly there is no Fail-Safe and a 3rd party eBay module is needed in order for it to work. Additionally , people have reported that with after market eBay module, the Saturn EPS does not self center the steering wheel coming out of a turn. You have to make constant corrections.

Below is the list of Car that I know of that has Fail-Safe Electric Steering. Only 3 wire connection. Ignition On, Power and Ground to the Steering ECU. That's it !

2004-2009 Toyota Prius
2009-2013 Toyota Corolla
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (With ABS)
2007-2009 Nissan Versa
2009-2012 Nissan Cube
2012-2014 Kia Soul

ECU Part Numbers:

2004-2009 Toyota Prius 89650-47102
2009-2013 Toyota Corolla 89650-02300
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (With ABS) 89650-52120 / 52050
2007-2009 Nissan Versa 28500-EM30A / 991-30303
2009-2012 Nissan Cube 28500-1FC0B / JL501-000932
2012-2014 Kia Soul B2563-99500 / 4PSG1312 / FPSG1312

The output shaft on Toyota is little larger than the rest and therefore the Borgeson 312500, 11/16 36 X 3/4 smooth bore weldable coupling should fits nicely. This couple fits the others as well. The Kia EPS is the biggest and appears to be most heavy duty. The Prius & Corolla EPS are very easy to find at salvage yards so this is the best bet. I picked up these EPS for testing for $35 each at my local pic-a-part

Note: As with any modification, there are risks. This post is intended to show how I did my modification. Use it at your own risk!

Waid

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the general information:

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
On the 2008 Versa EPS control module which pin is the one that you run ignition power to? My module has two large connectors for battery and motor and a multi-pin connector with 16 small pins. I didn't get the wire harness with it so I need a pin count to know which pin is the correct one to run key power to.
I can't find a wiring diagram of these connection either, which would help.

I found it! It's marked in the pic of the diagram you posted. Thanks a lot!

#4 ·
How I modified the upper steering steering shaft and steering tube.

Attachments

#8 ·
#10 ·
In order to use the Electric Steering with power steering box or power rack and pinion, they must converted to manual by tack welding the input shaft to worm shaft or input shaft to the pinion shaft. They must be one. This is how I welded my input shaft to the pinion shaft in my rack and pinion. I removed the valve sleeve.

Attachments

#12 ·
I used a Saturn Vue EPS with ebay Module in my Street Rod and I'm very happy. The module allows you to adjust the amount of assist on the fly. That I really like. On the highway I dial it down to almost no assist and when I get to a show and jockeying into a parking spot, I turn up the assist. It's just a POT like a radio volume knob on the dash. In fail safe mode you can't make adjustments. It drives people nuts when they see me steering with one finger to park and then I open the hood and there's no visible power steering. Important to mention, all power to EPS and Module must be off when ignition is off or component overheat will happen.

#14 · (Edited)
The Electric Power Steering (EPS) provides variable assist depending on car's speed.

Fail safe means is that if the steering ECU looses contact with the ABS Module or the Car's engine Computer (i.e. putting it in another car), the steering ECU defaults to pre-set level of assist. The Electric Power Assist provides variable assist.

The Saturn Vue does not have a fail safe pre-set setting. It will not default to pre-set setting if it loses contact with the cars computer. Therefore, you need eBay box that can talk to it in order to make it work. With Toyota, Nissan, Scion and Kia, no other external module is needed. I have been told and seen it myself the issue with the Saturn EPS which external eBay module. The steering will not self center (return ability) coming out of a turn. This is not an issue with other EPS.

Additionally, if there are any faults in the torque sensor, the EPS will stops working all together can the steering will be all manual - same as if you lose hydraulic fluid.

Most people who are doing this mod are doing it with manual steering boxes. I tested in my Falcon with steering box and works great.

I will get some pics with tape measure and see if that helps.

Waid

#15 ·
One more EPS / ECU that works in fail-safe/limp home mode.

2008-2011 Scion XD It's almost identical to Prius but just tad bit smaller than Prius.

ECU Part Numbers:

2004-2009 Toyota Prius 89650-47102
2009-2013 Toyota Corolla 89650-02300
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (With ABS) 89650-52120 / 52050
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - (Non-ABS) 89650-52070 & 520140
2007-2009 Nissan Versa 28500-EM30A / 991-30303
2009-2012 Nissan Cube 28500-1FC0B / JL501-000932
2012-2014 Kia Soul B2563-99500 / 4PSG1312 / FPSG1312
2008-2011 Scion XD 89650-52A10

#18 · (Edited)
Don't get offended by my .02 cents

Hot Rodding is Hot Rodding. I know some introduce newer parts on there older things (cars n trucks) but come on the old junk is where it is at, make it work with the older stuff. That's why it is called a Hot Rod not some kind of Hot "E" Rod E thing. Just my .02 on E parts, making up my mind for me in if at all they will work when a situation prompts a quick decision I don't like the idea of a piece of wire & some kind of sensor that makes a decision for me. This is why we are in a shi+ hole of problems when we introduce more into some thing that will work just fine with a more mechanical way or idea of doing it.

I also have worked for a local Automobile dealer that I have seen too many times after time a Mechanic PRACTICING on someones Wallet to see how much they can Extract from it in Labor Cost because he can't find or trace down the problem in the Electrical system. *** I'll go back in time and give you all some bit of Facts about when in our early stages of our Space Shuttle Launching's that A Computer on the shuttle and a Computer on the ground couldn't talk to one another. That was a "E" thing and each Computer probably cost up words in the Millions and the E things in our vehicles are of a much Cheaper version. Its your Life and others around you while driving that are most important. I myself am going backward to my old 64 Chevy car & my 68 C10, OLD SCHOOL BABE !!! like I said before my .02 cents

#24 ·
Don't get offended by my .02 cents

Hot Rodding is Hot Rodding.
Not offended at all. To each his own.

Some people are content with flat head and single barrel carb with 4 wheel drum brakes. I guess those are the "real" hot rodders :rolleyes:

I way I see it, this is a low buck upgrade that I did that eliminated hydraulic system and gain little bit of power and clean engine bay. I though that's what they did back in the day. Innovate.:D

Waid

#19 ·
While your statement is true I have enjoyed the opportunity to serve in the armed forces and incurred some injuries in Vietnam which left me with one good arm and leg therefore I have to find alternative means to do most things.

Try this, first spend 14.5 years in a wheelchair, then tie you left arm behind your back and bind your left leg to your thigh at knee level, then at 68 years old change out a tranny, engine or just wash and wax you car. Asshat!

#21 ·
First of all let me (if I could) shake your hand (no pun intended) in serving in the Military. Sorry to here for your loss of limbs, and I applaud you for doing what some people would find hard to do or impossible. Why all the hostility dude? I can understand your limitations and that you can move past them to get what needs done for you but why do you use your Injuries to make a point. Wow that was coming right out of Left field "Asshat"

#20 ·
I was call al kind of names for putting a backup camera in my Camaro.
I was actually told I shouldn't be driving if I need a camera to back up.
my reason for having the camera, I have 2 ruptured disks
in my neck and have limited movement
some people just don't realize how lucky they are

#22 ·
For what its worth a camera doesn't slam on the brakes for you while backing up, you have to do that yourself. I get it about the Ruptured Disks, I have had two Back Surgeries almost back to back and I also have Blown Out Disks still so I do and Can feel your pain. The point was I don't want some Computer/sensor/E wire making my Decisions for me I can do that myself.

#26 ·
RE: EPS size

Posted earlier requesting some measurements of a typical EPS, haven't gotten an answer yet so ran some rough measurements of the area I have to work with. Roughly 7 5/8" wide by 8" long. Another problem that I foresee is the heat from the engine and the headers. Anybody have an idea of how much heat they can withstand? You can see the burnt paint from when I had the timing waaay retarded. lol

Attachments

#27 ·
You must put the EPS unit inside the cab to avoid engine heat. This is true with all EPS units, aftermarket or adapted from a production car. This involves shortening and adapting to the steering column. This is not for the average wrencher. It involves top quality machining and welding. It also requires good solid mounts to withstand the output torque of unit. In max assist, the output torque is about 8-10 times the input torque. See site below for an example that has some of the work already done at substantial cost.
Improved Electra-Steer Ididit Steering Column Kit

#29 ·
2007-2009 Nissan Versa wiring

Using the 2007-2009 Nissan Versa EPS but didn't get any wiring or connectors with it (ebay). I have your 2008 Nissan Versa wiring jpg but not sure which pins are the correct ones for the torque sensor wires on the the EPS module pins. The torque sensor has wires (red, yellow, black and white) but they terminated at the column mount.I have included a pic of my EPS module if you'd be so nice as to head me in the right direction.
Also, the motor wires were connected to the left most pins and I'm not sure if this correct.
Been trying to find a 07-09 versa in local salvage yard to get connectors and wiring from but no luck yet. Not really sure what size the pins in module are either. I think .061/1.2mm?
Thanks for all your help.
Steve

Attachments

#31 ·
Thanks for the reply. Your wires are red, green, tan and purple. Do you know which of your colors are ground? Figuring that red is power. I wonder how those colors would correspond to my red, yellow, black, and white?
Worked on an Isuzu once, wires changed colors at ever connection throughout the car. Was a real joy to find a short/open in it.

#32 ·
Buddy at salvage yard called today. He got a 2008 versa in so I went and got the whole steering column. Included is a pic of what I was asking about. Notice how the wire colors change from one side of the connector to the other. Don't know why Japanese do this but I've seen it a lot over the years.

Attachments

#33 ·
Completed the EPS install on my straight axle 41 Willys. It's a pure pleasure to drive now, especially in slow tight turns. It is a great help to a handicapped person. Handles great on the roads and at the track. Used one out of a 2008 Nissan Versa. Having a brother that is a gunsmith with lathes and milling machines was a big help.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.