35 Ford Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2007, 11:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

35 Ford Suspension

My 35 Ford has a Heidt's M II front suspension with stock shocks and 57 Chevy rear springs with a dearched main and air shocks. While front and rear push down and rebound nice and the ride is really isn't all that bad, I think it could be better. The air shocks only have 60 lbs and installed because I am thinking of pulling a small travel trailer or travel with a full load of passengers.
Advise is all over the place concerning ride using dearching vs lowering blocks and air vs coil over.
I was considering replacing front shocks and springs with air bags and replacing rear air shocks with Bilstein coil over shocks.
What I'm looking for is those commercials where the car stays level and the suspension is taking all the bumps. Am I dreaming trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 12:01 PM

In a word....YES! You didn't mention what body you have but by the "full load of passengers" comment I guess we can eliminate everything but Tudor or Fordor Sedans, can't we?
Do you have bottoming problems with rear suspension as it is without the air shocks inflated, i.e., are you using the air shocks as suspension rather than bounce dampeners? Is this a problem with 2 passengers as well as 4 or 5?
If so, you made a mistake in the design of your rear suspension, not enough spring for the job.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:02 PM

35 Ford suspension

It's a two door sedan. I think it would bottom out without the air shocks but it has 5 new leafs now althought the main was dearched. I ran this system for 15 years until I tore the car apart 12 years ago. Actually I had 6 in the car including one really heathy young girl and it seemed to ride better and with only me on a smooth road rides good. It is a old car with mix matched parts and maybe I'm expecting too much. Takes alot of trial and error to get all the stars in alignment. What's your thoughts on dearched springs vs lowering blocks?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I guess I disagree with several things posted.

First I am pretty sure you said that you have a 35 Ford on rear leaf springs and MII front with coils.

Let me comment that air shocks are 50/50 action and usually valved stiffly. I have them on the rear of mine because I want a stiff shock, but for a different purpose and they ride very smoothly in my use. I run mine with 10 psi unless I have a load. I use my air shocks to control body lift when launching as well as ride height with a load.

If you want a better ride, I would look to Posies for super slide springs, or definitely install teflon sliders into your springs.

I don't like lowering blocks. Lowering blocks are for looks, not function. Lowering blocks add significantly to axle wrap/wheel hop when launching.

Dearching is a second consideration that lowers the car but also removes decent spring action and harshens ride because your are sitting heavily on the shorter leaves all the time. The shorter leaves are to give you a progressive spring rate. In essence a dearched spring approaches the action of a monoleaf.

I prefer first that the spring eyes be reversed or made mid-eye to get lowering while maintaining the arch/ spring progressive rate.

If price were no object, I would air bag all 4 corners by A.R.T. Period.

Added: I have determined that ride harshness is USUALLY caused by to too stiff of shock valving.

You can't necessarily have a canyon carver that rides like a TownCar and works well with one or 6 people in it.... but the air ride comes close.

Last edited by xntrik; 01-17-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:09 PM

35 Ford Suspension

Thanks for all the input. Air ride seems the way to go but will take some design work on the rear since the guy put the springs on the outside of the frame since the 57 Chevy springs were so long and I never changed it. I think I'll get a kit to mount under frame to get rid of the dearched springs. Deep down I never really thought that was the way to go. Don't ask me why I did it.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:13 PM

35 Ford Suspension

Do you have a web site or phone for A.R.T. Thanks
Old 01-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1935 Ford Steve
Do you have a web site or phone for A.R.T. Thanks

Air Ride Technologies about the biggest name in the business.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.