35 Plymouth Coupe Steering / Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 05:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

35 Plymouth Coupe Steering / Suspension

Good morning, to bring you up to speed (so to speak) my build is a 35 Plymouth 5 window coupe. Currently I've completed all work on the frame including repairs, narrowed 9", 3" drop Posi leaf springs,all blasted and painted. I've also decided and am building a 1955 DeSoto Hemi. Time for steering and front suspension. It has been suggested doing a M2 front end but I'd like to consider reuseing the straight axle with a rack and pinion steering, leaf springs and modern shocks. I'd like thoughts / suggestions on this idea. (What rack and pinion, things to consider, potential problems)? I've got pictures of a mock up with the original straight axle moved to the top of the leaf springs to lower the ride.
Thoughts, suggestions, or ideas? Thank you, John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

plydo parts

My son's 36 plymouth had a disc brake conversion on the tube axle, He didn't like it The caliper brackets were not designed with caliper stops. all the braking force went thru the bolts. It had a rack and pinion attatched to the axle. that added more unsprung weight. and it requires a slip telescoping steering shaft. That all came out and we have the parts to install a Mustang II. The 36 frame rails are curved and stock spindles will have the car lowered and a reasonable ground clearaance. The car came with SBC motor mount brackets. WE had a pumped 351W and C 5 But He tried fitting it but required too much hacking. Some one gave him a Buick V 6 and he has a core buick and trans setting in for fitting ,,His latest thinking is to go Mopar. Even though We have 4 SBC engine-trans in the shop for projects. Tex Smith wrote a book How to build Chrysler Plymouth Dodge Hotrods. My son has it, lots of info & picts. The Mustanag II swap is in the book. If you google it and go to the amazon site, click on the book cover, You can " preview " most of the book. Just hold down the ctrl key and click the plus key to enlarge it so you can read it. You can "preview" a lot of books on book selling sites. moving the springs usually doesn't give enough clearance for bumps.

Last edited by timothale; 12-18-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

I did one a couple years ago. I used the stock axle and springs, moved the springs to the outside of the frame, and raised them up about 4" For the steering I used a one sided rack from unisteer that intended as a replacement for a Vega cross steer in a 28 to 32 Ford. It requred a new mounting bracket that used the stock steering box holes in the frame, and shortening the kit drag link a bit. The right tie rod end is from speedway and has a boss for mounting the drag link end built in.

For brakes, I used the stock hubs, 11" rotors from a late GM front drive, along with the calipers, and GM factory bracket, with an adapter bracket to fit the Plymouth spindle
Old 12-19-2011, 03:46 AM

Thank you for the information. Always helps to get input from those who "tried it"
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 AM

Last journal entry: A few ongoing projects
Last photo:

I'm doing a 37 Dodge Truck with a 331 Chrysler Hemi and Mustang II suspension. I know it's kind of apples and oranges, but I here are a couple of thoughts.

The first thing I would do is mock everything together. Even though the De Sotos are "Baby Hemi's" size wise they are still pretty wide especially if you add headers.

The 2 areas that I suspect you might run into clearance problems are:

Where the steering shaft will have to be routed. Remember the shaft will have to slide as the axel moves up and down so that will have to be a fairly long straight section attached to the rack

The other potential problem I can see is interference with the front of the oil pan. That rack bolted to the axel will add quite a bit if width if it's mounted to the back of the rack (more so if its a power rack).
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 PM

thankx for the ideas and things to consider. Means a lot to me. I'll be doing some "mocking" for a little while then be back!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

The 36 Plymouth was back today, here are some pictures of how it sets with a stock axle, stock spindles, Pontiac rotors and calipers on stock hubs. It has a Unisteer rack and pinion cross steer rack on it. Springs are moved out 2 1/2" per side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3 17 2012 001.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	810.7 KB
ID:	64053   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 17 2012 003.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	814.3 KB
ID:	64054   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 17 2012 004.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	827.8 KB
ID:	64055   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 17 2012 006.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	826.7 KB
ID:	64056   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 17 2012 008.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	798.7 KB
ID:	64057  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.