Hot Rod Forum banner

35 Plymouth/ Stock to Streetrod?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bancy62 
#1 ·
I recently took possession of a '35 Plymouth PJ Deluxe fastback that I had previously owned 15 years ago. It is a rust free creampuff with about 50K miles. I am planning on converting it to a highway drivable, and daily driver dependable vehicle, by updating the suspension, brakes and drivetrain, while keeping the stock look. Budget is minimal (what else is new).
Can this be accomplished with parts from a salvage yard, or do I need to sell the house to buy aftermarket parts? I really have no idea what front or rear end would fit.
A small block Chevy (because I know and love them) is in the plans paired with an automatic trans w/overdrive.
I would appreciate ANY info on where to begin, what options might be available in regards to fit and function.
Thanks

#2 ·
mopar info

Here;s a link to some frame info. I think your frame is the same.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1937-plymouth-frame-specs-157708.html

MY son has a 36 coupe. Some where he has contact info from a guy that built a 36 coupe. after talking to that guy his plans are firming up. but the build is on hold. Our plan is Mustang II front suspension. The frame has enough arch that dropped spindles are not needed to get it to sit right. we have a stock mustang II crossmember, granada disc brakes, and a choice of rear ends, either 8 in mustang drum brakes or 5 .0 mustang with 5 bolt ranger pickup axles and lincoln town car disc brakes or a Lincoln town car disc rear. Rear choice will depend on what wheels and how they fit (different widths). At one time the 36 had a SBC. then a V6 buick. his present thinking is a small block Mopar. I don't know how that will fit. Welder series has weld it your self M II crossmember kits and instructions on how to fit it. they also have lots of other parts\\

Paul Horton's Welder Series II&offset=0&sort=relevance

#3 ·
Buy an 87-92 TPI camaro/firebird or corvette from a junkyard

Roller cam engine, 700r4 automatic, lots of little bits n pieces you might be able to adapt to your ride. keep the tuned port efi if you want. Sell the carcass and get your money back

The Welder series stuff is good stuff. If you're not a welder, you can still form the pieces, tack weld them and take it to a pro welder for pennies on the dollar.

#5 ·
Of course, you COULD show a little "class" and use a Dodge V8. One could get a 318 or 360 "Magnum" for reasonable money from a late '90s pickup, with a good OD auto trans. Hard to beat a 318. Can't kill it with a GUN...

There's a '34 sedan here in Chesterfield with a 392 Hemi and a 5-clutch TF in it. NICE work.

Food for thought. I just think a Plymouth would be just "wrong" with a non-Chrysler engine in it.

Jim

#6 ·
I appreciate your suggestion to stick with the same blood. In my younger years I had a couple 318's and they are, as you say, bullet proof. I turned to GM many moons ago when I thought I was buying a 350 to replace the blown 6 cyl. for my 79 Chevy short bed. That 350 turned out to be a high performance '65 Vette 327. Never looked back after that. I do appreciate your input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.