350/290hp can't find bolt size for hole near oil filter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350/290hp can't find bolt size for hole near oil filter

PLEASE HELP!!!. I have a 350/290 crate engine. On the drivers side on center of the oil filter and about 1" up is the plug for the oil preasure sending unit. About 1" up from that and about 1" back ( about the same plane as the mounting pin for the trans. is another hole with out any plug in it. I can't find the size plug that goes into this hole. 1/4 pipe is just a hair to large and1/8 is way to small. I can run a 7/16 bolt into the hole but much to slopy. Along with myself and my parts house we don't have any idea what size plug goes into this hole. Any help would be appreciated as I am totally stumped. Thanks, Jack Bukszar

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Gearhead

Last photo:

Have you checked with the dealer? How about Scoggin-Dickey? They sell a lot of these engines...
Reid
Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM

350 bolt hoe

Thanks for the reply. I will check with the dealer tomorrow. I did have a friend of mine call me a he thinks that the hold goes through behind the block and comes out into the bell housing area between the Flex plate and the block. Hope he is right because this is blowing my mind.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

I'm pretty sure the hole you are referring to is the mounting hole for a manual trans mechanical clutch z-bar ball pivot. It doesn't go into the block coolant passages, but as your Friend said it goes into the area behind the block where the flywheel is located. If I'm not mistaken it has a thread of 1/2"-13 threads per inch(coarse). I didn't have a 1/2" bolt handy to check except for a balancer bolt and it was fine thread and I could see that it was to fine for the threads in the block. I would install a 1/2-13 x 1/2" long as a plug to keep water splash off the clutch if your going to use a manual trans.
ssmonty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03010 (Small).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	65132  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.