350 with 305 heads and rv cam ???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 with 305 heads and rv cam ????

Hey all ive been creepin the msg board for sum time and have got a lot of excellent info from you all.... I have an 85 buick regal with original paint, excellent body and frame, i put a 200 4r tranny in it with a trans go shift kit in it , 373 rear end gears from a 00 s 10 and a posi unit from a monte carlo ss, still the 10 bolt... i also got a olds cutlass off some one and it had a rebuilt 1982 350 with 305 heads and a rv cam in it. I have installed this into my buick. My question is what can i do to upgrade.... ? When i installed the engine i used my original intake and carb from my 305 in order to keep all the pollution **** intact. I have 275 60 15s on it and if i put her in 2nd and brake stand it then let off the brake in 2 nd at about 4000 rpm it will put a good strip of rubber down. It seems to fall on its face around 4200 rpm.... now from what ive found on line its around 10 to 1 compression .? Im wondering if the vortec heads with the ghetto grind and home port job with a aftermarket intake with egr friggn plumbing and a nice 650 carb is a good upgrade ? because i think it will be trading off the compression for better and more efficient flow ..... im a licenced autoservice tech and this older school stuff is giving my brain a work out. Also wondering if maybe the quadra bog just needs tuned butter on this 350 set up as its off the 305 ????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Never do 2nd gear burnouts with a GM transmission.
sprag failure.

If the 305 heads are stock as cast and stock GM valve springs and a small
RV cam and stock GM intake not suprised the power drops off soon.

Yup the qjet jetting can probabily be improved.

The 305 HO heads (#4416) don;t come alive until they are (generously) home ported
Preferabily with 1.94x 1.60 valves. Then, they deliver as advertized.
In stock form they are just lame stock heads.

The stock intake will limit performance. A dual plane hi rise is the prefered choice.
"RPM" intake.

Do you require a functional EGR system? Does this car have to pass a emissions test or visual emissions equip inspection?

Without detailed engine specs the cr cannot be calculated.
The details matter. I bet its less than 10:1.

What "RV cam" Lots of good heads to choose from besides vortecs. ( hard to encorparate EGR)
Old 07-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Instead of defining and evaluating your cars performance by doing burnouts.
Take it to the track and run it in the test and tune class and get some time slips.
The MPH from time slips and true scaled car weight with driver tells you how much horsepower you are making.
Now you got something meaning full to gauge your performance.
And a baseline to work from.
When you do go to the track and want to do a water burnout with your street tires.
Drive around the water hole and back the rear tires up to just in front of the water puddle. Not in the puddle.
In front of the puddle. All you need is slightly wet pavement(or concrete).
Burnout to 5000rpm in 1st thu 3rd gear. ( not overdrive)
You only need to see tire smoke. thats all.
Do not do a 2nd gear burnout. ( brakes the tannsmission)
shift 1-2-3 and release the foot brake as soon as tire smoke appears.
Pull directly to the start line and stage. DO not test (dry hop) the tire bit.
This decreases traction on launch. Big smokey burnouts on street radials make the traction worse.
You just want to clean off the tires. Shift the car at +/- 5000 rpm.
Do not load up on the converter when staging. stage at near idle rpm and rug it on the last yellow.
Do not use OD, ever. Work on consistant clean launches (60ft time) and shift points (ET) and MPH (horsepower). timing, jetting changes.
Drag strip burnout edict with street tires. You want to avoid getting your front tires wet and dragging water to the start line and avoid soaking the rear wheels wells with water.
This is for your own safety and the safety of other racers.
Do not roll thu the water box with street tires.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 07-15-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Those 305 heads are done by 4500rpm. The 420/442 lift cam works with low compression. It does not cost low end , but adds a little power 3500 to 5200. The vortec heads require no work, and will cost no low end. They will gain you above 3000 rpm nicely. Reprogram the govenor to shift about 5200. The Qjet and a dual plane intake will give a performing boost over stock. When keeping the low end thrust you cannot really say its is a bad combo in a full size street car. 3.73 gears are good. A liveable 2400-3200 stall is a good idea. It will be fun , enjoy even if its no racecar. A qjet is a great street carb, next would be the new AVS type. If you know what your doing the Holleys DP really shine at the track, but not my first street choice.

Big heads and a 268-274xe cams are nice but operate in a different range. They will dog out the low end. Unless you build to compensate in the package.

My first hot rod a 70 cuda 440 had a 509 cam, and I left the stock pistons in. They were only about .080 in the hole. With 906 440 heads and 410 gear, 3000 stall it was doggy from the line. The compression was too low. Terrible launching , but had the top end. A 70 Grand coupe cuda with the overhead console. It was cool. I miss it. Ran a 13 flat, and thought that was unbelieveable power.

Test and tune days are 120 plus spectator passes for people that come with and you only get 2-3 runs in. Sometimes it is a hard sell to get the people, and date set. Harder as you get older.

Last edited by spinn; 07-15-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Don;t know wher you race at but test and tune days are $20-$30 depending on the day at most tracks. My local track is open 5 days a week and a few nights during the week. Most tracks are glad to accomodate the street crowd.
Thats what the drag strip is for.
I ran 13 flat with a very mild 350 vortec motor w "rv cam"
Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 PM

RV cam? whats that?

With out some specs its hard to determine stall speed/gear ratio/shift points.The original cam that came in a used car I bought was totally done at 4500 rpm and it was 420 lift. 305 heads are not very good,vortecs seem to have good flow numbers for over 400 hp engines.The dual plane aluminum sounds good as recommended already. Q jets can work well too.whats your budget and intentions?Exhaust system you have is what?

test and tune is a great idea if there is a local track that can accommodate you.Good place to learn.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

My 350's built 8.5-9 to 1 with cams around 450 lift, performer intake 600 cfm carb, 3.73 28" tire, 2400-3000 stall th350's were in the 14's. In 3800lbs full size gm cars. Pre 95 engine building, vortecs were not out yet.

Route 66 drag way used to have test and tune once a month. It was expensive. Byron was much cheaper but farther.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM

it has a dual exhaust 2" with headers, i live in wooler near shannonville which has a track but i think its only 1/8 not 1/4 mile. i do plan on going and seeing what it can do, also plan on having the tranny rebuilt with all the go fast parts, like forward drum, stator support, 2nd band replaced with the wider one etc... guess ill wait and see what it runs first then post back and go from there...
Old 07-15-2012, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

The IL electromotive plant for train rebuilding sometimes had 2 events in the summertime. A chassis dyno and a 1/8 mile coarse in the parking lot. The second was a road coarse in their parking lot. It was a lot of fun, had to sign a waiver/release. Have not seen them do that in a while. The road coarse had some dog legs and many cones were flattened that day. See the 70 monte carlos and heavy chevys competeing for times with a honda / toyotas. Really a good time.

Early 90s a 70s grand prix made 260 rwhp , ran 14.4 at 95mph.TH350 3.73 28" tire 3000 stall ,462 heads on a 355, 650 carb, headers. What did I do wrong? That was pretty good no? Big blocks were in the 13's.

Last edited by spinn; 07-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 PM

sounds like fun. Just make as many passes as you can,get used to the car and enjoy the day.Then you have 1 or 2 weeks until next time trial and you can do 1 change and see what improvements you get.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.