350/350 set up in a questionable car.(1956 oldsmobile) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350/350 set up in a questionable car.(1956 oldsmobile)

okay for anyone that followed my first post about my 56 oldsmobile I have yet to figure out what the frame they welded on the front is but I'm going to the parts store today and buy some brake pads and compare them to the ones on it. My issue is I'd like to put the motor and trans in the car this weekend but I have a few questions first let me give you some details.

The car when I got it had a 455/400 olds rocket in it. The engine was blown due to a piston that let loose and went through the block the car actually ran a little after I got it but only for a few seconds and sounded like a chainsaw chewing on gravel.

okay : chapter 1 the horror
After taking the engine and tranny out we discoverd the 455engine mounts were bolted ( I use this term litely and I'll show you why ) way back towards the back of the cross member and by way back I mean hanging off the edge one of them (ds) had 1 bolt in the top and that was it, the other one (ps) had 1 bolt in the top and 1 in the bottom somehow some idiot drove this car without a decently bolted set of engines mounts in it and it ran apparently pretty consistantly from the papers I've found in the glove box. see picture 1 of motor mounts. Also the motor mounts were sitting on roughly 3 quater inch spacers where the bolts were. both top and bottom.

Chapter 2 horrors continued
The trans mission crossmember was literally a hollow peice of boxed steel also about 3/4 inch square. the trans mount was nothing more then a thin plate of mettle welded to it. it wasn't even boloted into holes that were in the frame but ones that someone had put there.

so my question now:

I've got a chevy 350 and a 350 auto with the short tall shaft.

I concerned on what motor mounts to pick up I was looking at universals and seeing as I won't have much of an option for bolting them in, I figure I'll weld them. my theory is to get the mounts set the engine and trans in the car put a block under the tell shaft and perceed to check the level of the engine front to back. and side to side once I've gotten it level mark the spots remove the engine and trans and weld. would this be the right way to do this? if not can someone who might have ran into a monster like this went about it?

Sorry for the long winded intell I was trying to give everyone some insight into my issues. if I owe anyone a therapy bill please send it to me via email and I will get back to you.

Thanks again, you all will always have my appreciation and respect. I hope I'm as good as you all someday or at least safe and passable.

Mike Hateful
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL380180.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	58387   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossmem1.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	58388   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL380179.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	58389  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

First off, I am NOT a SBC hater but a car like that deserves to stay unique. I would look for an Olds engine. You are probably like me and too poor and have to use what you have. I bet if you get the frame and engine mounts for the clip you have it will be a bolt in or maybe you have to drill a few holes. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 AM
boatbob2

Engine mounts..

Hi,buy new upper and lower engine mounts,bolt them onto block,put SBC (with trans) into car,level engine S To S,Front to rear.(use carb pad to get level,then see what you have to do to bolt lower mount to chassis.use jack under trans to help level,then see where the new crossmember needs to go.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replys.

Olds455 I agree 100% normally if money weren't an issue I'd be all for a olds rocket and day of the week but as it stands right now I'm working with what I have laying around. if things work in my favor I might have to put about 800-1000 dollars into the car to get it running and street legal.

My only concern is if you look at the pictures I posted along with the orginal post notice the spacers that were used with the motor mounts does anyone have any idea as to why someone would have to lift an engine 3/4 of an inch off the cross memeber? the car has an xframe in it I'm almost wondering if it was to clear that frame or...well besides that theory I have no clue lol... Thanks again and if anyone else has any insight into the the spacers please feel free to through me some input.

Mike Hateful
Old 09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

ok, first off whoever did work on this car was a hack so don't try to rationalize what you see it looks like he did whatever seemed the easiest to him at the time without thinking about safety.. did this person also put on the clip? if so im not sure that you will be safe trying to drive this thing. that being said........

you need to start over again with what you want to do. first off before setting in your engine you say that it has the original x member. if the drive shaft is running through the x member you will be limited as to your pinion angle for your drive shaft. your setup will not be 100% level it will need to set back a few degrees you are not going to want to try and reset the pinion angle on the rear end.
the front clip is probably to long and that's why the mounts are so far back. if you set them in the center of the cross member you may need to custom build a new drive shaft. as for the tranny cross member you can build one out of square tubing but you need a thick enough wall on the tubing for strength and a plate with some reinforcement for mounting the tranny.
i don't know anything about you or your abilities you may have all the skills to accomplish this in the end but you cant just go out there with a welder and some tools and fabricate everything you need in a weekend. your doing the right thing by asking questions

i would get your lift take your motor and new frame mounts set it in for mock up and start measuring things look at the overall picture and check for clearance will your drive shaft fit after you set the motor and tranny where will the crossmember bolt to the frame etc and good luck!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,008 Times in 847 Posts
You don't know what you don't know, so you need to do some reading to bring yourself up to speed....
http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Swappin...6031855&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Engi...031855&sr=1-10
Old 09-14-2011, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

Replies and Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies out there again I can't thank you all enough. I've been reading alot the last few days as far as any info I can gather off the net and so forth.

I had a body/colision guy come look at the frame welds he said everything looked good except the steering was on a angle that had broken the cuplar and could bind if driven without a repair, he sugguested droping the column a few inches but I'm looking in the the borgasons universals.

Tech thanks for the recomendations on books, I'm willing to buy them both but may I ask which one is going to give the most info out of the two? I want to do it as close to right as I can. (lol some people would say I'm wrong for using a chevy engine lol)

Thanks again you all, and if you have any questions or want pics or want to make recomendations please feel free to write me or so on. Have a good night everyone it's mid night and I've been up for 24 hours and then some now.

goodnight
Mike Hateful
Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

But when did the olds v-8s come out? The 455's and 350s? Are these the same as from 1949?

i say go chevy. It's the easiest way. Then later, when you've got the resources, you can always switch to olds.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:44 PM

Last photo:

olds v8?

Was you're question about the "when did the olds v8 come out" were you asking from the factory or the one we took out of the car?

I know olds had a v8 in 55 and 56 I think it was called the 330 rocket engine, generally painted gold, been ages since I did the orginal research. they probably came out with a v8 before that.

the cars orginal engine I have no clue where they went with that or the trans tbh, it had a busted 455 olds in it when I got it.

And yep going with a chevy engine, I have one sitting around along with the trans for it.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Nothing wrong with a Chevy engine. The Olds V8 came out in '49, the "modern" Olds 350-455 started in 1964 as a 330 and 425 respectively to answer against all odds' question.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

thanks olds

thanks for the replies
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

What i was trying to get at is, was is the olds engine such as the 455, 350, 307, 260 the same one as what they offered in 56---like the SBC in 56 IS the same as all other small blocks? Because people (perplexingly) are insisting that you "keep it olds."

1) But if the 455, 350's etc are not the same as in 56 and it appears that they aren't then who cares what you got under the hood?

2) It's all gm to me. i would run pontiacs, buick, olds, cadillac and even GMC power in a chevy but the only reason i don't is because chevy is the easiest, cheapest, fastest to get running.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.