350///357 build - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
Man, I am tired of this wishy, washy back and forth. Do what you said you wanted to do. You didn't want to spend but $3000 right. Take the block to the machinist and let him check it out. You were going to get a Scat rotating assembly. It is a cast steel crank good to about 700 HP. Ask when purchasing the kit if they are using SCAT 2-ICR6000 PRO STOCK I BEAM CONNECTING RODS. They are 4340 forged steel. There are 4 different I-beam rods. The Pro Stock is the only 1 that is stroker clearanced. If you want them stronger upgrade to L19 or Arp 2000 rod bolts. Get the kit from CNC Motorsports their price is better and shipping is cheaper than Summit Racing. Call them on the phone to make sure you get the correct parts that you want.
Was this meant for someone else? 3000 is my budget but I nvr said anything about scat kits. I just want to get arp rod bolts

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Look at it this way race teams are commonly 200k over budget. 200 bucks is nothing budget is very hard to keep when building an engine. Without starting from new you never know what the machine work is going to cost. So 200 bucks to make it right is pretty good. I am currently 1500 over budget on my junk yard motor that had perfect bores. So i would be dancing at 200. LOL

Glad to hear its coming together. The most expensive words you can say at the machinest are "might as well".
Yeah 200 over budget is a lot better off than I thought I'd be but it ain't over yet lol. It's the labor that scares me. Hopefully if i mark everything it will go right back together like a glove. :/ yeah right.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Either it fits like a glove or its broken and your putting it in wrong. You shouldnt have any problems putting it together. Tools can be an issue. But they can also be borrowed.

Be sure to get the cam timed right.

Everything should be a light tap in and covered with assembly lube. A little oil can go a lomg way as well. Also be sre to fill the filter with oil so it gets oil as soon as it starts.

At some point all builds run out of money and you have to beg borrow or steal to get it finished. Best to start being cheap early. Lol
Haha right on. I went cheap where I could but I did spend over 1200 on valve train alone : I

Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I kind of see red when guys include the word budget and a hot rod engine build.

I coined a term.It's called a "open book build".

No budgets/no time limits.You collect the parts over as long as it takes when the funds are available.Then total when done what it cost.

Now if you budget yourself in a pile of trash parts,that isn't hot rodding.Where hot rodding is building the best.

So if you don't think your going to have the money or are not doing a "open book build"-

WELL THEN GO BOWLING.A BALL AND SHOES IS ALL YOU NEED.WALK AWAY FROM HOT RODDING AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post

No budgets/no time limits.You collect the parts over as long as it takes when the funds are available.Then total when done what it cost.

Now if you budget yourself in a pile of trash parts,that isn't hot rodding.Where hot rodding is building the best.

So if you don't think your going to have the money or are not doing a "open book build"-

WELL THEN GO BOWLING.A BALL AND SHOES IS ALL YOU NEED.WALK AWAY FROM HOT RODDING AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!.
Um.....ok? Cause that kinda sounds like open check book build....some of us have mortgages, kids, wife's, and yet we still wanna play....so our junk should sit in pieces while we save to buy the best parts? Hey....wanna guess what happens next? Nothing....thats what, and the hobby looses out...because eventually we grow weary of staring at a bunch of expensive garage art that never gets completed cause real life got in the way. So how about buying what you can afford, building what your able, fixing as required, and actually getting out there and enjoying your junk as often as you can.....course what do I know, I actually used a set of.....gasp.....305 heads on my last build....ohh....and may even toss a blower on my mostly stock, completely unknown SBC I have now....but hey, tell you what, while I'm out abusing my junk, and loving every second of it, you can show us all pics of your shiny afr heads, and forged parts, and latest big dollar whiz bang speed parts all piled nicely on your bench waiting to come to life.....253am....still bored....and mildly irratated now....
The Following User Says Thank You to bygddy For This Useful Post:
0trbo4myCHEVUICK (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
Um.....ok? Cause that kinda sounds like open check book build....some of us have mortgages, kids, wife's, and yet we still wanna play....so our junk should sit in pieces while we save to buy the best parts? Hey....wanna guess what happens next? Nothing....thats what, and the hobby looses out...because eventually we grow weary of staring at a bunch of expensive garage art that never gets completed cause real life got in the way. So how about buying what you can afford, building what your able, fixing as required, and actually getting out there and enjoying your junk as often as you can.....course what do I know, I actually used a set of.....gasp.....305 heads on my last build....ohh....and may even toss a blower on my mostly stock, completely unknown SBC I have now....but hey, tell you what, while I'm out abusing my junk, and loving every second of it, you can show us all pics of your shiny afr heads, and forged parts, and latest big dollar whiz bang speed parts all piled nicely on your bench waiting to come to life.....253am....still bored....and mildly irratated now....
well said !! ( great thread aswell )
Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
I like to buy the best aluminum spray paint and paint the 305 heads with it.
The second takes , in the pits and at cruises are priceless...
Lmao!....I should a done that......!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

While I respect your opinion I must say, this motor is Farr from a''hot rod' build. We are talking about a 3000$ 350 here and it happens all the time. I'm shooting for 350hp/375 torque. I still like bowling.

I would not have committed myself to a 3k build if I couldn't find afford a 4k build.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:32 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-BIRD'88 View Post
I like to buy the best aluminum spray paint and paint the 305 heads with it.
The second takes , in the pits and at cruises are priceless...
I should do that while they are off lol. I hope the 59cc350 vortecs perform
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygddy View Post
I have known and respected guys who's level of commitment to a project span from 3 to 5 yrs or more to build the best.During them sharing their build they contributed to hot rodding more to the sport than anything.

If you can't wait to get the parts you know you need,I gotta wonder about the rest of the build...............

Being 65 yrs old and not a kid,expenses of life and the understanding of that are a given.Hot rodder and hot rodding is who I am.Not unlike being a biker.The sacrifices made for that and my families support are also key elements.The thing is all too often I run across guys who have expenses they claim they just can't live without.Cell phones,150 channel flat screen TV situations,etc,etc,then tell me all the things they can't afford.I call out that as a matter of priority's with the project not being the number one.

I have been very lucky in to have after yrs of hard work to have a racing operation turn into a profitable business.That being a partnership,anything outside of the business that I want to build privately,I still bear the same cross as anyone else.It's all about money management.

"Open book build" is as I defined it.Enjoy the build not matter how long it takes and stay committed to it to the end.

BTW-these builds are not the same as postings on the net in terms of time it takes. We take all income type members that might not be heard of about their builds for awhile,but then update when progress is made.That's Ok. With each post they gain more respect from me.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:26 AM
"Thread Cop"

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
I have known and respected guys who's level of commitment to a project span from 3 to 5 yrs or more to build the best.During them sharing their build they contributed to hot rodding more to the sport than anything.

If you can't wait to get the parts you know you need,I gotta wonder about the rest of the build...............

Being 65 yrs old and not a kid,expenses of life and the understanding of that are a given.Hot rodder and hot rodding is who I am.Not unlike being a biker.The sacrifices made for that and my families support are also key elements.The thing is all too often I run across guys who have expenses they claim they just can't live without.Cell phones,150 channel flat screen TV situations,etc,etc,then tell me all the things they can't afford.I call out that as a matter of priority's with the project not being the number one.

I have been very lucky in to have after yrs of hard work to have a racing operation turn into a profitable business.That being a partnership,anything outside of the business that I want to build privately,I still bear the same cross as anyone else.It's all about money management.

"Open book build" is as I defined it.Enjoy the build not matter how long it takes and stay committed to it to the end.

BTW-these builds are not the same as postings on the net in terms of time it takes. We take all income type members that might not be heard of about their builds for awhile,but then update when progress is made.That's Ok. With each post they gain more respect from me.
Piecing a motor together with cheaply found parts and a new set of gaskets is also HOTRODDING!

Doesn't matter how cheap the parts come as long as the car goes faster than stock.

I wasn't aware that you defined hotrodding.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Piecing a motor together with cheaply found parts and a new set of gaskets is also HOTRODDING!

Doesn't matter how cheap the parts come as long as the car goes faster than stock.

Pretty sure that's actually what its all about, doing the best you can with what you have. Anybody can write a check, and I'm not interested in bench racing with my retired buddies when I'm 65yrs old about how my junk will perform, when and if it ever gets done....I would rather load my kids in the car, and enjoy it, or hit the track on the weekends...and enjoy it. Yep, I have a giant TV, because my whole family uses it, I have a big house, because my family uses it. Your right about one thing, its all about priorities, and my family comes first, car second.....so if I have to recycle some junk, or buy 1000$ heads instead of $1800 afr heads, then so be it....pretty sure my garbage 305 headed vette is faster now, and alot more fun, then a pile of expensive parts on a bench in your garage.
(Clearly not directed at you pugsy....as your right on the money and spirit of hotrodding)
The Following User Says Thank You to bygddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post

Hey Pugsy,

With every post you make and the progress I see you make,and the amount of effort I see you do,you got my juices running hot to work on my project and my utmost respect. You do exactly what I described.I see posts from you about what you got done next and then there are gaps to the next post.I would guess while you build up more cash for the next step. I have never hear a thing about a 'budget" from you.I don't know,but I would think your project is a "open book build" that your totaling in the end.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

What I would like to convey to everyone is a change in thinking.Stop this nonsense about budgets. It just leads to sometime substandard work and surely has lead to substandard parts leaving alot on the table in power and increased risk factors. I kills me to read about a failure in internal engine parts where the guy loses it all and then can't afford to replace it when another $100 to $300 in parts would have prevented it.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:03 PM
"Thread Cop"

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: SEAM SEALER
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Hey Pugsy,

With every post you make and the progress I see you make,and the amount of effort I see you do,you got my juices running hot to work on my project and my utmost respect. You do exactly what I described.I see posts from you about what you got done next and then there are gaps to the next post.I would guess while you build up more cash for the next step. I have never hear a thing about a 'budget" from you.I don't know,but I would think your project is a "open book build" that your totaling in the end.
I have enough capitol to pay someone to finish my rod. There just wouldn't be any satisfaction in it. I built my own chassis including control arms. I didn't buy them (although I could have) from Heidts or whoever. Cheaper, yes, and I believe even better. I'm using a whole bunch of used stuff, refurbing it all and will be as good as new.

This can be done also with heads, blocks, intakes. Timing covers and oil pans can be tin instead of billet. These things keep a "budget" as well and there is no difference in performance. Too many things to list.

I'll stand by what I posted and that is simply that hotrodding is making any car go faster than stock no matter where the parts come from.
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (12-31-2012)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.