350///357 build - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

No need to apologize I should be thanking you for the long post! Looks like ill be putting this thing together and calling it good for now. hope its not a dog. Moving on to find vortec heads.. I would go the 416s route but finding 40 extra hours for porting would probably take me a quarter year.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK View Post
No need to apologize I should be thanking you for the long post! Looks like ill be putting this thing together and calling it good for now. hope its not a dog. Moving on to find vortec heads.. I would go the 416s route but finding 40 extra hours for porting would probably take me a quarter year.
Now that does make sense for sure......I lived in my garage for a few weeks after work....wasn't very popular with the wife....
Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

I'm not sure what style of head gasket came in the set I bought. Almost positive it wont be the right one though.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Hotcam? Yes? No?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hotcam? Yes? No?
The hot cam would work well, but you will have to have vortec heads modified for the lift and use the correct valve springs.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Hotcam? Yes? No?
Always!! Well you got your options open a comp magnum 270h or 280h will make plenty of power. A similar sized xe cam may run a little smoother and be more street able. But it does not look like you are forced to run a really big cam. In the same manor i wouldnt go too small. Some ppl will swear by certain cams but they all got a purpose. Not sure what type of heads you will end up with but they should be matched up best you can. There are many different vortech heads and a bunch of ways to port them. Best bet is to see how much head you get before ordering the cam. Weak heads get a little smaller cam big flowing heads you can go bigger and make some good numbers.

The cam edelbrock uses in its kit is pretty hot and it makes about 400 hp. So you figure your cam choice should be pretty close the that one for 350 or 400 in your motor. The kit also came with alum heads so you can see quickly with stock heads its going to be in the 350-375 range even with a large sized cam. You can look at edelbrocks site to see the numbers on the performer rpm cam. I am only using this as an example because the publish numbers. Many ppl run good numbers with less but that is what they are willing to publish with there power pak combo. You really need to get your heads and measure everything and run the numbers and see what the dcr will actually be with the cam and heads to make sure its going to be dead on. I think the 270h is a safe choice but may be a little big. Im sure others will have better dual pattern cam choice. I try to avoid going, this is the cam for you buy this! Because its hard to say what is best for someone else. And sometimes the perfect cam runs like mush. Because of something you didnt plan on bad pistons or crap heads that look awesome but dont flow. I can tell you i have put cars on the dyno and quickly decided the cam i got sucks and its got to go. So im being a little gun shy telling you exactly what to get. without heads anything i say is a wag a wild *** guess.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd36 View Post
The hot cam would work well, but you will have to have vortec heads modified for the lift and use the correct valve springs.

Agreed. Now, does it have the mech fuel pump lobe? Im going to use a mech fuel pump..
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Last photo:

Sorry looks like ive answered my own question and it does.. The price is def right but ill keep looking at similar priced cams. The hunt continues for vortecs around 400... There is plenty of stock rebuilt vortecs for that price but none with the upgrades i would need. The hunt continues!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM

350///357 build

Quote:
Sorry looks like ive answered my own question and it does.. The price is def right but ill keep looking at similar priced cams. The hunt continues for vortecs around 400... There is plenty of stock rebuilt vortecs for that price but none with the upgrades i would need. The hunt continues!
I don't know if you will find a set of modified vortec heads but here is a kit with everything you need. https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...ter/sd8060arpm

Last edited by cdminter59; 11-14-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
I don't know if you will find a set of modified vortec heads but here is a kit with everything you need. https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-...ter/sd8060arpm

Hope I wont have to do that... 1500 for a long block with no roller cam doesent sound like a good deal to me.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Okay I Just bought some vortecs about 5 minutes ago Hopefully a quick spring swap and they will be ready to roll... Not sure about intake manifold ports matching since the heads have been milled but im sure it will be solved one way or the other...

Small Block Chevy Vortec Heads Custom | eBay
Old 11-21-2012, 03:36 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Okay I Just bought some vortecs about 5 minutes ago Hopefully a quick spring swap and they will be ready to roll... Not sure about intake manifold ports matching since the heads have been milled but im sure it will be solved one way or the other...

Small Block Chevy Vortec Heads Custom | eBay
The only 12 bolt intakes that even come close to matching the Vortec ports are called raised port (RP) intakes. RP intakes are a single plane design w/large runners and are made primarily just for racing. Using such an intake on a street engine- unless it was a carefully built semi or full race deal- will not be a good idea.

Other 12 bolt intakes lack enough material above the ports to enlarge them to match a Vortec head and still have enough material to reliably seal to an intake gasket unless the intake is welded first. The port sides may also be mismatched.

For a strong performance build I would recommend the Edelbrock RPM intake made for the Vortec heads, p/n 7116.

Too late now, but for not much more you could have bought the Bow Tie Vortecs.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

thought the bowtie vortecs were over 1200 for the pair?
I know the heads are drilled for early intake patterns but i DO plan on using a VORTEC STYLE intake.
I was wondering if the milling of the heads down to 59cc will effect how the intake botls up? Ive read that if done properly It should not.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
thought the bowtie vortecs were over 1200 for the pair?
I know the heads are drilled for early intake patterns but i DO plan on using a VORTEC STYLE intake.
I was wondering if the milling of the heads down to 59cc will effect how the intake botls up? Ive read that if done properly It should not.
It will change the port alignment and how close the intake ends are to the block. Look them over when you get them to see if the intake flange has been milled to correct for the deck milling.

A guess is that about 0.035"-0.040" was removed to get that volume. But the amount removed also depends on what the volume was when they were original- often the volume is larger than what's published. You might even ask the seller how much was removed and if the intake flange was corrected.

For more info, see: Milling cylinder heads

EDIT- Bow Ties are more, my mistake.
Good luck
Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

okay I will ask the seller. Now on to find the best roller cam for my application, all in under 5200-5400. Ill post what I come up with.
1100$ so far with shortblock, gaskets, assembled heads but will need a spring swap.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.