350///357 build - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
Why an LT cam? Does this cam have a fuel pump eccentric- if you even need one, I don't know what you plan on doing w/this deal.

You have to shorten the cam dowel/drive pin to use the LT cam. No big deal (in some cases the pin can be driven deeper into the front journal), but there are thousands of hydro roller cams made for that engine that'll fit w/o any extra work. You cannot find anything but an LT cam?

Not in the voodoo line, No I couldnt.... I really should have checked if it has the fuel pump lobe.... the LT4 HOTCAM does if im correct.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM

Last photo:

All the pictures im seeing of the lt1/lt4 voodoo cams have the fuel pump lobe. Guess ill see for sure when it gets here in a few days. Bought the ls7 lifter kit too..

I was looking at the Scorpion platinum steel rockers? Just trying to make sure the only mod i would need to do is the work on the valve covers?

Im thinking I want to stay away from the narrow body rockers...
Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

I skimmed through 6 pages of this thread and still haven't seen anything about the wt of the vehicle,type of trans,rear end gear ratio,size of tire,yet a cam choice was make..................
Old 12-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
I skimmed through 6 pages of this thread and still haven't seen anything about the wt of the vehicle,type of trans,rear end gear ratio,size of tire,yet a cam choice was make..................
Yes the thread is cluttered to say the least, I think its been mentioned though. Was thinking about starting a new thread with less blabble babble, sorry about all of that its my fault.

Its a 1982 Chevy C10 single cab- Not sure how much it weighs in at.. Should be 36-3800 I would think?
33" tall tires, Its got the stock gears in it right now but Im looking into 3:73 or maybe even steeper with the tall tire... not sure just yet..
Ive got A RMVB TH400 for it. Going to buy 24-2600 stall after christmas.
Dual trans coolers with fans and deep pan with cooling fins.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Im wondering about these scorpion steel platinum series rockers on the vortecs(guideplates)..... Wondering how they compare with the heavier endurance or race series.

If I use taller centerbolt valve covers I might not need to grind out baffles? Its not a big deal if I need to, just a quick zap with the angle grinder. Def dont want to do any grinding on the rockers though. especially if theres already been material removed for weight reduction.

i would assume that the rockers are weaker and will not last as long in exchange for the benefits of less weight?

I would rather get the heavier series if that is the case.. Im just pretty sure I want to stay away from narrow bodies.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK View Post
Yes the thread is cluttered to say the least, I think its been mentioned though. Was thinking about starting a new thread with less blabble babble, sorry about all of that its my fault.
You need not worry a bit about it! I would rather spend an hour here than two minutes at another current thread where the OP is a total jerk/troll/a-hole.

Scorpion is a good brand and I have actually used them in the past. I didn't know they had come out w/steel Platinum series rockers. The aluminum rockers are good to an ungodly amount of spring pressure (I don't recall how much but it was a LOT) so I wouldn't worry a bit about their strength, even w/a narrow body. As long as they clear the center bolt valve covers you're good to go, IMO. Just be sure to match the stud size of the head to the rocker when you order them.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Hey guys. I don't mean to barge in but I have a ralated question. I'm rebuilding a 355 and I have balanced the pistons/ rods within 1/2 a gram. Do I still use the same harmonic balancer?? (external balancer) I have not had the crank balanced, or do I need to change to a neutral or fluid balancer. Again I'm assuming a 400 balancer is neutral. Thanks for anybody help!!!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You need not worry a bit about it! I would rather spend an hour here than two minutes at another current thread where the OP is a total jerk/troll/a-hole.

Scorpion is a good brand and I have actually used them in the past. I didn't know they had come out w/steel Platinum series rockers. The aluminum rockers are good to an ungodly amount of spring pressure (I don't recall how much but it was a LOT) so I wouldn't worry a bit about their strength, even w/a narrow body. As long as they clear the center bolt valve covers you're good to go, IMO. Just be sure to match the stud size of the head to the rocker when you order them.

First off I have nothing but respect for all of the guys that invest their time and knowledge helping young gear heads figure it out and I ALWAYS remember that I dont have all the answers. I try to take full advantage of the resources available on this forum. THANKS!

Now, I am confused.
Does scorpion even make a steel rocker? JEGS has a selection of scorpion rockers listed under "STEEL ROCKERS", "race" "endurance" "platinum"
Summit has NOT ONE scorpion rocker listed under steel, only alum.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

Regardless, One of these three will be the rocker I get.
Just trying to figure out which would be the best for my daily driver.

endurance race or platinum.

Do you only see the benefits of a lightweight rocker arm at HIGH rpms? I dont plan on revving past 5500 but I DO want to go overkill on some parts.

Well sure havent seen very much on the net about the platinum series, Unless I catch some wind otherwise, These will be the ones I get. Im going to give Scorpion a call in the morning and check the spring pressure ratings on the endurance compared to the plats.

I just assume the platinums would be weaker with their lighter weight. My springs are 135 lbs. @ 1.750, 325 lbs @ 1.200 1.250 diameter

Last edited by 0trbo4myCHEVUICK; 12-17-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

Should be noted that it looks like Lunati recommends
Seat Load: 108 lbs @ 1.750 in.
* Open Load: 339 lbs @ 1.250 in.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I'm going by what you said:

Quote:
Im wondering about these scorpion steel platinum series rockers on the vortecs(guideplates)..... Wondering how they compare with the heavier endurance or race series.
Maybe you made a typo above?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Anyway, the Platinum series aluminum rockers will be great. You need not worry about strength but sure, talk to them to verify the fit w/the Vortec/center bolt valve covers.

You mentioned timing sets earlier. I have used the Cloyes p/n 9-3157 set- it's a true roller but not a double roller. There's also the 9-1157 double roller but I have not used it so cannot say if the block needs to be clearanced or the timing cover spaced out to use it or what. I bet if you research it you'll find out, though. Pro Gear is another name that comes up a lot w/the LT1/4 crowd. You might want to see what they have for the Gen 1 SBC w/an OEM roller set up.

I have no problem using a single roller timing chain/set. Double roller sounds like it's stronger, but if it were all that and a bag o' chips I'd expect to see it on a motorcycle! lol
Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Yeah Cobalt.The single larger motorcycle style link timing chains are superior.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I'm going by what you said:

Maybe you made a typo above?
I assumed they were steel because they are listed under steel on JEGS
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Well cool, just got off the phone with lunati. The man said the lt1/lt4 voodoo cams DO have the fuel pump lobe and the dowel pin is designed to be knocked back to proper length for a non lt1/lt4 OE roller block. So no grinding!

He also recommended timing set
Full Roller Timing Set - Chevrolet 262-400 (w/roller cam) 3 keyway - Lunati Power

Full Roller Timing Set - Chevrolet 262-400 (w/roller cam) 3 keyway
Product Description
Full roller timing set for Chevrolet 262-400 (w/ roller cam) applications
•Keyway(s): Three (+-4, 0)
•Roller Diameter: 0.250 in.
Part Number: 93026
Previoius Part Number: 93026LUN
Jobber Price: $70.27

He also stated the recommended valve springs for this cam are too weak. He couldn't say for sure about my springs without knowing the brand and type.
I gave him the spring specs I have and he said that they SOUND perfect for the application, but could not know for sure without further information.
Im going to run the springs I have.

I was also getting conflicting information on if the lift numbers were advertised with a 1.5 or 1.6 rocker. Some sites just say "factory rocker arm ratio" and some sites say with a 1.6 rocker.
He confirmed the lift numbers are with a 1.5 ratio rocker, which is a relief.

Gonna call scorpion next and try to talk rockers with them.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.