350 Or 383 Camaro Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 04:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 Or 383 Camaro Help

I have a 86 Camaro Iroc.. im plannin out tearing out the old engine. (which is blown) and want to put in an engine with good power (like if possible between like 390 and 400+horsepower ) and decent gas milage.. i knowim not gonna get no 25+ per gallon but i dont want no 10 mpg or nething... I know 383's are a lil better for torque but i still cant decide and would hope that someone could help me with this... and also what would be best Trans for it? i want this car to be a good daily driver (besides winters) but beable to run good too. (i run with 02 Ws6 Trans ams,Cobras, gto's N **** so i need something to keep up with them.)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2006, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

This is a joke right!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

If you want to build a stout small block then build a 383 type, not much more expensive. You can buy a complete 383 reciprocating assembly from Eagle or Scat. A Good set of aluminum heads (I use Edelbrocks RPM) 750 Holley or Demon (no double pumper, gas mileage reasons). Edelbrock RPM air gap and I would use a Comp Cam XE268H for drivability. And yes you could go a lot wilder but you said you wanted some gas mileage. I would use a GOOD rebuilt 700R4 with a 3.73 rear end.
Now you know you really wont get very good mileage with this this cuzz you wont be able to keep yer foot out of it, but thats why we work so we can afford to play....enjoy
Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM

thanks

Thanks 327nut that'll help me out a lot and 73olds ur an idiot! these forums are too HELP people so if u are going to diss on people who need help and dont know EVERYTHING then I personally think you shouldn't be on these site...
Old 10-09-2006, 01:37 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

86, I am sure 327 meant that most people that are rebuilding small block chevy engines these days are going for the most cubic inches they can get.

However, it all depends on your budget. You can get an easy 400 horses and 400 ft. lb of torque with a 350 using a 750 carb of your choice, a comp cams XE 268 or similar cam (I would choose 262 for the street), GM vortec heads with necessary machining to handle lift over .450 inches, Performer RPM intake, headers, and 1.6 rockers. Those power numbers would probably go up by 30 in both torque and HP with a 383 but you have the extra cost of the 383 parts. Choice is yours. Why isn't your blown engine able to keep up now?
Old 10-09-2006, 02:31 PM

i just dont want to deal with rebuilding the engine... and its all rusted N messed up so i just want to redo all of it.. i want to get a crate possibly(turn key) and not have to worry about building it myself.. dont really have the time, so im trying to find somewhere where they sell crates for a decent price, im out in michigan and dont really know where to start looking for anything (either online places or engine places) anyone know good places with cheap crate turn key engines?? .. i know i want either a 350, or 383 but not really 100% sure what to do, then i want a new transmission and somewhat want a Manual but idk.. im just looking for everyones info that can be done... but thank you to everyone who has responded to me!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 02:34 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Michigan here too! Go to GM Performance Parts online and look at their crate engines. You will also find what you are looking for at Scoggin Dickey online. If you are in the Detroit area I would suggest you call Booth-Aarons in Berkley and see what they would charge you to build one or do a core exchange.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:04 PM

i live about 30min from Detriot, in the Plymouth-Canton area... but thanks for the help!!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86IrocMaro
Thanks 327nut that'll help me out a lot and 73olds ur an idiot!
Sorry. I guess my sense of humor doesn't go over so well all the time. A 400 hp engine and good gas milage engine just somehow don't seem to go together in my mind. I'll try harder to control myself in the future.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I don`t think you should apologize olds, what you said was true.
Now as for you maro, I hope you have plenty of money as you`ll need some of the following to do this swap. A stronger rear that will stand up to the new power plant, you`ll also need lower rear gears, something in the 3.55 range and you`ll have to have a posi traction unless you want to fry 1 tire off. To get "decent" mileage you`ll have to run a overdrive tranny, likely a 700R4 thats been built with stouter than stock pieces so it`ll survive behind the power and a stall converter along with a massive tranny cooler to keep it in liveable temps. Next you`ll need to stiffen the unibody with sub frame connectors or it`s asking to break the windshield due to flex, and if the car has T tops don`t waste your time on a 400 horse goal, when you get to that level the car will need a cage, and a roll cage on the street is not safe when your head hits one of the bars. I don`t know if you plan to run a carb if you do you`ll need to bypass the computer and replumb the fuel system. If you plan to stick with injection I hope you got a lot more money since to reach your power level with injection will take lots of time and tuning. So no, I wouldn`t call Olds a idiot, he was simply being something called REALISTIC, which is something your not being. 400 hp and good mileage? that`s not realistic to start with, the best that you could hope for would be about 10 MPG, and that would be pushing it. My guess would be it`d get about 6 to 8.
Overall my advice would be to drop in a crate 350 with vortec heads, and I`d still add sub frame connectors, and when you need extra power, add a 100 horse nitrous kit. Lastly, yes this site is to help people, but help with unrealistic goals is another matter entirely. I`m also betting by your posts your not over 25 years old, and this is where another lesson comes into play, remember, horsepower is speed, speed is wrecks and tickets, you can`t enjoy your camaro in a wheel chair or in a casket.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:42 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

Here is a combo that I had and how it did.

1972 ventura (same as a nova)

355 9.9:1 comp
Upgraded vortec heads
performer RPM intake
xe268h comp cam
1 5/8th inch hooker comp headers
GMPP hei
holley 650 dp

I had a built 700R4 tranny along with a 3.90 rear gear and 26" tall tires

Based on dynos I have seen, this motor was probably around 375 hp/410 ft lbs

It beat stock to mildy modified Lt1's fairly severly, but never ran against an ls1. I figure it was a low 13 second car.

It got 17 mpg on the interstate cruising at 3000 RPM at 75 mph I dont know what it got in the city.

I would recommend the same thing except for stroking it to a 383 and running some 1.6 roller tip (comp magnum) rockers. That should easily put you over 400 hp. It will hurt gas mileage a little, but you could also run a little less rear gear which should help. Those 700r4's have a really steep first gear, so you dont need a bunch in the rear to get off the line. I would try a 3.73.

Check out combo 73
http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos10.html

Here is a good place to get the top end from
http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/2172...PM-Air-Gap.htm

Here is a shortblock to consider:
Budget SBC 383 2 bolt main block, new cast steel 3.75" crank, resized OEM 5.7 rods, KB 'claimer' 5cc valve notch pistons (9.8:1 with 76cc heads or 11.1:1 with 64cc heads), file fit rings, flat tappet cam, double roller timing set, new balancer and flexplate $1699

Or this one if you plan on building it up more in the future:
Street/Strip SBC 383 4 bolt main block, Eagle cast steel 3.75" crank, Eagle SIR 5.7" rods, KB or Sealed Power hypereutectic 7cc valve notch pistons(9.6:1 with 76cc heads or 10.9:1 with 64cc heads), file fit rings, flat tappet cam, double roller timing set, new balancer and flexplate $1999

Both of these are from this shop:
http://revolutionaryperformance.com/short%20blocks.htm

I am sure that you can choose which piston you want to get the compression where you want it.

Adam

Last edited by firestone; 10-11-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Seems you guy are edgy today

86IrocMaro did say he didn't expect 25mpg(sarcasm included) but 10mpg was to little. So....why doesn't 375hp 383 make 15mpg with a good foot and an overdrive so unreasonable?

My 400 355 with a manual made 14 in a 88. I don't see why he can't get 15 out of 383. BTW he never said whether he intends on using FI or not. HE never gave any indication aout his age or financial status and yet you guy ***...umed he didn't have the resources or finances or any way to reach his intended goal.

At what grounds do you guy's stand flaming a person you know NOTHING about? Except he has a goal.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:47 AM

If your looking for a manual the tremec 5spd.Is one of the strongest 5 spds I've ever bought.But a 700r4 is still cheaper.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks John N Bonzi... im 18, and have i guess not a lot money, but im workign on it.. im currenty gettin ready to buy an 86 Iroc, which will be mine in 3days... i want an engine that is stout and strong something that has some muscle.. but yea i also want to get decent gas milage... I was ask whats the main differant betwwen fi N carburated? like which is better or what not? will one of the two help with gas milage??? thanks everyone so far for helping out...

im more into the painting N body work area of cars... not the engine N stuff
Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 PM

Double vision yea thanks for the help NOT... im not saying i want F-ing 40mpg or nething... and yea im 18, but im not stupid if thats what ur saying cuz im young im gonna do stupid stuff? what an teenager cant have a fun car w/o being dumb?? wow u r an idiot... and yea money aint the option cuz i have all the parts i really would besides the engien N rear end...and no im not doing nitros.. always reminds me of them stupid lil rice burners... i want motor

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.