Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350/383 Chevy timing ? I'm stumpted
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallam11 View Post
Gents, I changed cams from an old SSI 214/224 to a XE-268 cam. The SSI was mild but it ran like a scalded dog when called upon. With the new cam the car idles great and moves along well but not as good as with the old cam. What puzzles me is for the car to run it has to be set at 25 degrees initial and goes up to 45 total and still wants more (the vacuum canister is detached and plugged). The engine starts without dragging and does not ping at all. I have a feeling I installed the cam one tooth off....can any of you gentlemen tell me how to tell if the cam is off a bit??
I'd say your estimate of being a tooth off is a good one. Distributors driven off the cam are in a wierd place. You're timing them to the crank not the cam. The hidden assumption is that the cam is also timed correctly to the crank. When you start seeing the need for what appears to be exceptional amounts of advance, then you can assume with a high degree of probability that the cam is not synched up with the crank either because of an error in set up or from parts wear in the timing set of gears and chain.

Bogie