350 to 383 ? To much or not enough ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 08:08 PM
VROOOM !!!!!!

Last journal entry: This is the Rough Draft of the V8 Frame
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 to 383 ? To much or not enough ?

Ok heres the reason im going to do this, I have had starter problems with my 350 chevy motor and found the block was cracked and a chunk of the starter mount came off so I decided to get a new shortblock and its a 383 with .200 dome pistons, and I was wondering if that was to much of a dome and what would the compression be like with Edelbrock Rpm heads with 64cc chambers, but would my compression be to high for pump gas ?. This is going to be assembled with a Double Pumper 700 cfm carb, a edelbrock rpm manifold, a cam with a adv duration of 282 and 292 with a lift of 498 and 510, holley headers and thats about it. Is this a good setup for some power on the streets or more towards the drag lane ?. But the block is a Blue Print Remanufactured 383 with Keith Black Hyper Ruetectic pistons and gm rods with a forged crank.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

your compression will be very high, I didn't even bother to compute it because even with flat tops a 64cc head on a 383 procuces high compression, Either run a huge cam and run it on the drag strip, or run ethanol on the street.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:05 AM

Last photo:

another totally rediculous question!!! 383 with domed pistons and 64 cc heads---> are you building a deisel engine??? your compression will be about 50-1, it will ping at idle in neutral. quit useing buzzwords to try to impress us...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stupidthread.gif
Views:	89
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	29454   Click image for larger version

Name:	smartthread.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	29455   Click image for larger version

Name:	warningsign2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	29456  
Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 AM
VROOOM !!!!!!

Last photo:

350 to 383

OK Im sorry for being a complete idiot about evrything but I was looking for something with some power, what would my power be like with the compression and the longer stroke if I already have 415 horsepower ?. How many miles to the gallon do you think I would get ?. Im not trying to be stupid but I want something that will be imppressive and have some grunt towards it. How well would this do in a 1979 Monte Carlo that weighs 3000 ?. Would it be able to haul balls low end or is this just a total drag motor ?. How fast do u think it would run a quarter mile in that car ?. And What octane would I need for it to not ping?. I guess my main question is, would it have power but still be able to drive once in awhile on the street ?. And I would love a horsepower Guestimate. I know Ive asked stupid questions before but this is the only place I could ask to learn so thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

With those domes on a 383 you are way up into race gas territory.between 12.5 and 13.5 to 1 depending on deck ht. gasket thickness etc.Yes it will be fast with good fuel and heads. Probably could be run on E85.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I think you would have piston to valve clearance problems with 2.02 valves and that tall of a dome and that cam.

That motor would not do well at all on the street. And you could make it work as a race engine but not with Hyper pistons. The cylinder temps would just be too high.

My suggestion would be to find some 76cc heads, this would bring your compression down a good bit, and make it halfway reasonable.

Unless you change your entire fuel system to run ethanol then it is not really an option. So premium fuel mixed with a bit of race gas is more than likely what you will have to run with anything over 10:1.

Are you considering buying this engine? If so what is the price? I am willing to bet that you could build a 383 yourself for about the same price.

Don't bother asking theoretical E.T's and gas mileage questions until you have a definate combo lined up and know all the particulars of the vehicle.

As a matter of fact don't ask about gas mileage at all unless you have something under 10:1 compression. At that point it is not even an issue. It is like saying "how much gold will it take to gold plate this gold bar?"....who cares? It is going to be a lot of money either way.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:19 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

In short- get different pistons, forged if you want to race, flat tops if you want a street engine (unlees you plan to run ethanol) with a cam that big MPG's will suck, I suggest learning to deal with it- HP is not cheap to build or operate.

Your heads and cam are good for a hot street setup, the pistons are good for... paperweights. You'd have a decent setup if you'd just change your pistons, and building a 383 short block in your garage will probably be cheaper than ordering one prebuilt.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM
VROOOM !!!!!!

Last photo:

Thank you for the answers

I would run jet fuel just because I want to race it once in awhile and see what it all has but what do you think more horsepower range would be ?. Like over 400+ ?. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:49 PM

?????

Normally, i think a fella should be able to build a motor, and do so, with basic tools, limited knowledge, and guidance. But, I really think in this particular case, you need to fall back on the old saying," there's no replacement for displacement". Find yourself a Buick, Olds, Pont engine in the 400-455 CID range or a 472/500 Cadillac. Cheaper than Chevrolet, stock, a TON of torgue, in a G body like you describe, a monster to tame. Try going to a few towing company auctions where you can pick up a whole car with any of the above mentioned engines, plus you'll get a heavy duty trans and rearend to swap; because, you're going to need them also. You can get one of these "cars for parts" for almost nothing. Sell off what you don't use, and scrap the rest; scrap metal is bringing pretty good $ now. Get some real world experience first, and learn along the way. Then, and only then, should you start thinking about building your own engine.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

with that cam, 10.0 to 10.5:1 cr would be ideal.

A 383 would need flat top pistons with 4 valve reliefs (-6cc) with 64cc heads and 0.040" head gasket with pistons below the deck 0.015" (typical amount) to make 10.5:1 cc.

A KB hyper piston for a 383 with a 0.200" will make around 13:1 cr with a set of 64cc heads and 0.040 head gaskets.

You could pull out the pistons and have the domes cut off and use a 0.060" thick copper head gasket.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I think those are probably hollow dome pistons, so you wouldn't be able to mill them down flat.

As far as HP, you probably would be over 400 but you will have to get a different cam, gears, stall, and the right tires to use any cam that could take advantage of that compression. The 670 cfm will be too small, you would need a big single plane intake, and your bottom end better be able to hold up. Because you would be more like 500 Hp by then and spinning 6500 RPM, which is alot in a stroker with hyper pistons.

If I were you I would make an adult decision and just leave it alone, HP doesn't just happen when you throw parts together, and more than likely you will end up with a 6000 dollar motor that you can't afford to put gas in and has less power than a 3000 dollar 350.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

I doubt they are hollow domes. You never know until you flip the engine over and look. But yes, make sure they are not hollow domes (good point).

I have cut the domes off KB hyper pistons many years ago, but forgot what part number they were.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Uhhhh, ummmm, I don't think it will run on Jet fuel, a little too thick.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:48 PM

Last photo:

don't do it, you'll need to change your name.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy350_Camd
I would run jet fuel just because I want to race it once in awhile and see what it all has but what do you think more horsepower range would be ?. Like over 400+ ?. Thank you.
HP, using jet fuel, will be about 0. JP is kerosene based and will/should not run in a piston engine.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.