350 build. Need timing and edelbrock carb setup advice - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 PM
1950 Chevy Pickup custom!

Last journal entry: Dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 build. Need timing and edelbrock carb setup advice

Ok guys, please bear with me here as I'm sure the answers to both my questions are pretty straight forward but my right hand man who usually answers these questions for me is not available and my experience is limited.
I need to know what my timing should be set at (ballpark) also what jet/rod/spring combo I should start with in my carb. I am in SE Alabama at about 100 ft elev. The carb was initially tuned for 4000 ft elev in Montana. I had the engine running and tuned well there, but have since moved down south and lost my timing position.
Also, does anyone have a desktop dyno program they can run this build on? I had one on my old computer and was unable to transfer the program to vista on my new computer and I made a few changes from my original build.
Thanks in advance.

So here is the build sheet:
-SBC 350, 4 BOLT MAIN, BALANCED AND BLUE PRINTED, .30 OVER
-SEALED POWER FLAT TOP PISTONS,
-ALUMINUM PATRIOT HEADS, 195 CC RUNNER, 64 CC CHAMBER, 2.02 INTAKE, 1.6 EXHAUST, PORTED AND POLISHED (9.9 compression ratio total)
-1.5 ROLLER ROCKERS
-STUD GIRDLES
-COMP CAM CL 12-211-2 (270H)
Operating Range:1800-5800 RPM
Duration Advertised:270 Intake / 270 Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift:224 Intake / 224 Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.5 Rockers:.470'' Intake / .470'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle:110
-EDELBROCK PERFORMER RPM INTAKE
-EDELBROCK 1406 650 CFM CARBURATOR
-1 5/8 TO 3 4 INTO 1 HEADERS.
-HEI IGNITION

Another note; this 650 CFM carb seemed to work well at higher altitude, would it be benificial to change to a 700? I have one on the shelf if I need it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2010, 10:07 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

My man, it's called tune and test. You can't expect anybody to know what your engine is going to want. Go to the forum search and punch in "timing for small block" and watch thread after thread be listed. Take your pick which one to read.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

Haha, good point sir. I guess I like a silver bullet..

Thanks for the quick reply, I guess what I am really looking for is just a good ballpark to start. If I can I'd like to try to start somewhere close-ish to where I oughta be.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

A good starting position would be to recalibrate the carb to box stock specs, and then tune from there. The timing, in MY opinion should be about 18* at idle and a total of 36* at 2800rpm. These specs are a good starting position and are going to be close.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 PM

generally most of the gm small block i've tuned on had total timing @32 to 36 degrees or even up to 40 if the cam is really large. Total timing is all of your vacuums plugged in where there suppose to be, engine warmed up to operating temp and rpm's @ 2000. As for your carb.. contact edelbrock about it and they will point you in the proper direction....
Old 09-13-2010, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

F-Bird: This is a 1950 Chevy pickup that I have been building for 4 years now. I have actually only driven it once, off of my trailer into my garage at my new place in AL(steep driveway, and I couldn't push it in). After I get a good idle tune, I will start driving and start working issues from there. As far as the current jet/rod set up in the 1406 I am not sure what it is. However I think I am going to take your advice and just swap in the 750 since I have it sitting there and it seems like the better choice anyhow. I will do the swap tomorrow evening, setting it to the default setup and check my timing. I will let you all know the status tomorrow evening. Thank you very much for the advice!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

On the edelbrock I find that you can usually go 1 step leaner on the large section of the metering rods (the first two numbers) without much problems and it helps economy. On the 1406 this is not the case though as it is tuned lean from the factory.

BTW to get it truly dialed in you cannot just change the rods or the jets, you have to do both. Most people only do the rods as it is a lot easier (2 screws), but it severely limits your tune. With a larger cam you can probably step down a notch on the springs too as your vacuum will be lower. For timing the already recommended 18 initial 36 total is a good place to start. If you want to really get fancy you can tune the secondary air door by adjusting the balance of the weights- but this can be a little tricky.

Tuning the accelerator pump is a bit trickier than a holley, start with the stock setup, again, I usually find you can move the arm in to go a hair leaner, and you can get different sized squirters from Summit to tune how fast it comes in.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:33 AM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

Moving the arm OUT or DOWN will lessen the pump shot. The closer the rod is to the pivot point the longer the stroke will be and more fuel will be squirted.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg T
Moving the arm OUT or DOWN will lessen the pump shot. The closer the rod is to the pivot point the longer the stroke will be and more fuel will be squirted.
you're right. My mistake- I really need to get more sleep! Its pretty easy to figure out with the carb in your hands though.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:01 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all of the help guys!

I set my timing to about 16 deg before adjusting my carb. I went online and found the instructions for tuning the idle. After a little head scratching and finding out I had a loose clamp on a heater hose I got everything dialed in. I then adjusted my timing to 18 deg (mechanical) and gave it a couple good revs, it picked up immediately with no hesitation and hit 4k RPM in a hurry. It has a smooth steady idle at 700 RPM. After all of that fun I couldn't stop there, The header gasket blew out after I started it (I recently put on new Hedman long tube headers) I couldn't let it sit like that so I pulled it off and went with the standard manifold gaskets and it worked like a charm. whew! Doesn't sound like much but all together it took me about 5 hours. Those headers don't go on or off easily. Again thanks for all of the help, I was able to approach the job with a little more confidence.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.