350 build parts combination conflict? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2003, 07:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post 350 build parts combination conflict?

I am building a 1975 350 and so far im planning to bore it .030 and go with 9.7:1 comp (comp. checked w/ 64 cc chambers). I havent decided on forged or hypereutectic yet I need to see what the budget allows for. I would like to run a comp cams magnum cam 270 ad. 224 at .50. hydraulic lifters, I plan on replacing the main bolts and rod bolts. I am going with a new cast crank and using stock rods. I am going to get the rotating assembly balanced. I may go with new valve springs if mine dont check out or the cam is too much for them. I am going with 58cc 305 heads 1.84 1.5 valves or from what i hear bad casting # 350 heads with 76 cc chambers 1.94 1.5 valves. The engine is going in a 1979 camaro with a TH 350 for starters and then later a TH 700 R4 for the lower first 2 gears and overdrive. My rearend ratio is 2.41:1 and the car weighs around 3400 I believe. Will this engine combo work or will I need a different cam or heads etc. Please share your advice with me or i might end up with a very heavy paper weight. I would like a fairly strong engine at low rpm and yet I would like it to rev out decently. thanks for your time.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2003, 10:49 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I don`t see much wrong with your combo, but I wouldn`t run the 305 heads, with a flat top piston, compression would be over 10:1 and it would detonate like crazy. you would need a dished piston with 305 heads due to there 58 cc chambers. replaceing the main and rod bolts aren`t needed if all you want is a street engine, so take that cash and put it elsewhere. just have the rods checked and see if any need resized. the cam is a little big also, if your after low end torque, then I`d run the comp magnum 268, 218/218 duration and 454 lift or something similiar. you`ll need the extra low end until you get the other tranny. run a dual plane intake and a 600 to 625 cfm carb, a set of spiral core plug wires and new high po module and coil, and you`ll have a very driveable package that still gets decent milage, trust me, you`ll be a lot happier with it. the comp cam with 224 duration would likely have a cruise rpm of 2600 -2800, and when you get your 700R4 with 2.41 gears in the rear it`ll cruise at 1500 RPM`s likely or lower at 60 MPH and will have no power and will drink gas. your car and your call. Good Luck.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

I went to my local machine shop and found a set of dart heads for 300.00. They are 1.94 intake and 1.5 exhaust. I am putting new springs on them that will best suit my cam. I think I will go with the 268 cam, I was looking at one similer to it. I think the heads are 68cc or 72cc. I am running a rochester qjet and am going to modify one of the many I have around this summer for it. I plan on using a weiand 8004 dual plane manifold.I think with this head piston combination I should be able to run poor pump gas if I need to while in smaller towns. Any thaughts or suggestions on this?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.