350 Chev Engine compression test - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2002, 07:41 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 350 Chev Engine compression test

My son and I replaced the 350 engine with 118K miles from his '73 Monte becaused the timing chain broke. After he replaced the chain, it wouldn't start, got p.o'd and decided to get a crate engine. Now it turns out that the reason why it wouldn't start was becuase when he changed points, he didn't put the condenser in the distributor.
I have the original engine on a stand and was wondering if there's a way to do a compression test? I'm thinking that when the timing chain broke, it may have bent a valve or push rod?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2002, 12:55 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Sure you can, bolt a starter on it and connect it to a battery and get a remote starter switch and run your test. but a compression test isn`t going to tell you what the rod and main bearings look like, with that many miles, you can safely bet it`s wore out. if the engine is stock with a stock cam, i wouldn`t think it hit a valve, if it`s the original engine with dish top pistons and a stock cam profile, it`s possible, but not very likely. with that many miles, I`d just rebuild it before it self distructs. just my 2 cents.

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: DoubleVision ]</p>
Old 12-14-2002, 06:02 PM

Another good advice. Thanks
Old 12-14-2002, 06:31 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Do a compression check by bolting on a starter and shorting acrross from the starter wire to the main battery wire.For bearings I would just prime the pump with a oil pressure gauge hooked up and see how much pressure.Although evan if its OK I wouldnt try and say stick a cam and such performance stuff on a high milage motor.Just run it as is if you reuse it with out a rebuild.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:20 PM

ok guys. Here is a brain buster. I just built a 40 over big block 396. My problem is when its cold at fast idle it seems to stumble while warming up but then it clears up after that. then at idle it seems to have a intermitted fluctuation at idle. I have a 256 extreme energy cam kit. The entire engine in new. bearings, pistons, moly rings, have heads all done with new seats,valves and guides including new springs, locks, retainers,push rods and rocker. new holley fuel pump and edelbrock 750 electric choke and vacuum secondaries, and new ignition system,. dwell is set at 30 degrees and timing 8 BTDC. I have it idling at 650 rpm and pulls 16 inches of vacuum. it goes to 16 then to 15 and back again but not consistent on the vacuum readings. i have taken the carb apart and rebuild it. and still the same. compression is all good. car is not running yet still being completed for restoration. i was wondering if my cam lobe went bad? i tried checking it my puuting my hand over the rocker arm and turning it over and seems ok. valve lash is all good too. Am i flipping out for perfection? the cam has a good idle but i wonder if the lifter is bleeding off. i have tried just about everything and have run out ideas. open for suggestions compression is about 160- 167 on this fresh engine i need to food for thought. thanks guys.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.