Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 Chev head gasket water holes too small?
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmfire
I appreciate the response. I'm not sure I buy that though. If we were to believe that the engineers at chevy designed everything to the utmost of it's performance then we would never have to modify anything. We all know that's not true. I honestly just think about things too much and don't mean any disrespect by my thoughts. I just like to know the how and why behind the things we do and how my engine works.

What would cause the overheating if the passages were enlarged? It would seem that opening up the holes would allow better circulation. That in turn suggests to me a cooler running head. Maybe too cool. Maybe that's the reason or maybe not. Is it to allow air out when the water runs? Does water ever go through the upper portions of the head? I don't know, but I'd like to.

Thanks again.
first understand how a cooling system works, then you'll understand Chevy got it right. not only does it allow flow, rather than just pooling, as stated above it allows it to absorb more heat. Thermostat operates on the same theory, slow the water down ( more like stop with the thermostat ) and allow it to absorb heat, water that flows too fast, absorbs less heat, and does not cool as well.