350 chevy engine buildup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2003, 02:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 350 chevy engine buildup

OK here goes - I have a 1985 GMC SEIRRA 1500 with a 1987 Z28 350 factory roller cam engine.I have about 5000 miles on a fresh rebuild. My engine has 10.3 SILVOLITE hypereutectic pistons,block bored 30,stock 083 & 193 recon heads,low moile used 262 hyd roller cam and oem roller lifters,headers,performer intake manifold and a 600 holley carb. I just received my new PRO TOPLINE vortec heads with 194 & 150 stainless valves and 510 lift springs. My truck has turbo 400 trans,273 rear gear - but have another rear with 308 gear to be installed, 33 x 12.50 tires. I want to go with a extreme energy 274 or a magnum 270 camshaft. Is this a good choice and also what ratio rocker arms should I go with? I was thinking about going with roller tip self aligning rockers and a RPM intake for vortec. Any suggestions? THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2003, 02:48 PM

Unless you have the center bolt valve covers,you don't need self aligning rockers but,it that is the case then you do.Self aligning rockers are more exspensive and if you don't need them it will not make a difference in performance.You might just have to do a clearance test to determine the neccessary head gaskets that you might need.That also depends on the ratio you decide to go with for rocker arms.

[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Copper Top ]</p>
Old 05-22-2003, 07:49 AM

Last photo:

First off, center bolt valve covers don't have a thing to do with self-aligning rockers. VALVE STEMS heights are usually higher with self-alinging rockers. THEY ARE TO BE USED WITHOUT PUSHROD GUIDE PLATES!! They were original equipment on the corvette LT-4 engine. They are designed to keep the rocker stationary and not walk on the stem face under load. If your using aftermarket heads regular rockers are fine.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:22 AM

Last photo:

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 here....

With a 3.08 rear gear and 33" tires, I believe the cams you mentioned might be a little much.

You're going to need torque to get that truck moving. The two cams you mentioned are geared more toward high rpm power than torque. I would either stick with the 262 or even go with a tad less duration, based on the info you've provided.

Roy
Old 05-23-2003, 07:02 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

I like the specs on them 4X4 comp cams myself. HG
Old 05-26-2003, 02:01 AM

Last photo:

Are you going to a flat-tappet cam in that roller block?
Old 06-03-2003, 06:11 PM

As to the flat tappet cam question - NO - but I know now where you are comming from on camshaft selection because the camshafts were probably flat tappet cams RIGHT? I went ahead and purchased a LT4 hot cam and have also a set of pro topline vortec heads with 510 lift springs and a new set of oem roller lifters and hardened pushrods. I am also ordering soon a edelbrock rpm vortec intake manifold and 1094 .015 thick head gaskets to keep me in the .041 quinch area with my combo with 20 destroked pistons. Does this sound right now? PLEASE any comments are welcomed to keep this combo right this time THANKS ALL!
Old 06-06-2003, 10:14 PM

Last photo:

I was thinking of Vortecs & HOT cam on a 350 myself, but with KB 12cc D-cup pistons for ~9.6-9.8:1 compression. I'm thinking it might run on regular if built right. What pistons are you using? (I don't understand "20 destroked")
Old 06-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

the pistons he`s referring to are what I call "sucker" pistons, the factory compression height on a 350 is 1.560, the ones he has are 1.540, they sure don`t tell you this when you buy them and it`s not really needed, they do this to assure the rings won`t break when the rings go into the ridge on the cylinder wall which isn`t gonna break them anyways, I`ve ran many blocks with a ridge and never had a problem. I also agree with the others, a smaller cam will help you out torque wise, especially in high range and cruising on the highway. using the 0.15 head gasket is a good idea, but in most cases the pistons from the factory are about .020 or slightly less in the hole, so your quench will likely be around .055 which is fine, as long as it don`t exceed .060 it`s okay.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

SpeedPro 345's,etc. (SpeedPro 631's are 1.56) I always wondered why they did that. Seems like they could just drop the rings down a bit & leave the top where it belongs. I decided not to build a 307 once for just that reason, nobody made full-height pistons.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.