350 Chevy Issues engine trouble... Please help me! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 06:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 Chevy Issues engine trouble... Please help me!

I Moved This Post From "Introduce Yourself", I read somehwhere it said to ask your first question there, but I was told I should move it here so here goes:

I have a 1972 Chevy Nova (Fake SS) with a 350cid, with a Elelbrock Performer 600cmf 4BB carb. I think it has a mild performance cam. And no one who has tried has been able to time it right. I looked all over this site, both searching and looking in the knowledge base, but I couldnt find any information to help me. So I thought I would ask if any one has any helpful ideas.
A few days ago, the initial timing was at 27* (i think) and i dont know if it was before or after TDC. and it was running pretty good. Then one of my buddies in shop class tuned my carb, later that day my dads friend decided to play with everythign in the engine, and found that my distributor had NO springs it it, so he put some in, and we have had even more trouble timing it after that. Last night my buddy set the timing to around 17*. and adjusted my carourator to get my engine working well enough, but it kept killing when I put it in gear, but I had to go somewhere so we just upped the idle speed, so i could leave. So i have no idea what to do right now, I dont know that much about engines, and i would like some help on what I should do in attempt to get it timed right. Please Help!!! almost anything would be helpful!

I was told that maybe my ballancer is off because the rubber in it gets old and it spins out of whack, but i dont know if that is the case. and I think i read somewhere that if i have a cam the timing tab is useless. How much of that is true? Is it possible that my distributor was put in wrong?

OH! Also, its a pain in the butt to start.

Thanks!
Quote:
Better to post this question in the engine forum Dude. It does sound like you have a balancer problem to begin with as it should not wobble so find another and change it over and then try you timing and carb adjustments.
I went out to work on it today with one of my buddies. We brought the timing down to 10* advanced. or around there. but it would kill when we put it in gear. But it didn't wind down, it just shut off, as if someone tunred the key off. so we adjusted the idle mixture the way the manual for my Edelbrock carb said we should. Then we upped the idle speed because the engine kept dying. But, after we did that, it popped a bunch when i would get on the accelerator hard out on the road. So i brought it back, shut it off and it deisled for about 15 second and it wouldnt stop so i turned the key forward and back really quick and it stopped. We brought the timing back about 4* so it was around 6* advanced, and it still deisles really badly, and has very little umph, but we couldnt fix it cuz my mom called and told me to get home right away. Any sugestions?

Advertisement

Last edited by ineedspeed; 11-26-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last journal entry: New door panels
Last photo:

It could be that your balancer is off. I use the timing tab on my engine and i have a pretty mild cam in it. If your car is dieseling when you shut it off the the timing is to far advanced. Did your carb say what hey recommend the timing to be at? On my Road Demon Jr carb it says to set timing between 12* and 14*. mine is set to 14, I think most people like to run SBC around 12*-14*. Did you put the cam in the engine? If so do you have the cam card?

Do you have the vaccum advance unpluged and the hose plugged when trying to set the timing?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, i.e. trying to set the timing with the vacuum advance still connected. 27 degrees initial advance is way too much if you have a vacuum cannister. If it was retarded that much your headers would probably be glowing.

I'm also wondering about the distributor. If someone assembled it without springs, what else is wrong?

Sounds like you have toooo many helpers messing with the timing. This is an excellent opportunity to learn to do this yourself.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MI2600
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, i.e. trying to set the timing with the vacuum advance still connected. 27 degrees initial advance is way too much if you have a vacuum cannister. If it was retarded that much your headers would probably be glowing.

I'm also wondering about the distributor. If someone assembled it without springs, what else is wrong?

Sounds like you have toooo many helpers messing with the timing. This is an excellent opportunity to learn to do this yourself.
I agree M12 no advance retard springs holding those centrifical
weights is a big problem iff none and replace with some ya spark timing is gonna be in a different world..

Simo,///
Old 11-27-2004, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Did your carb say what hey recommend the timing to be at? On my Road Demon Jr carb it says to set timing between 12* and 14*. mine is set to 14, I think most people like to run SBC around 12*-14*. Did you put the cam in the engine? If so do you have the cam card? Do you have the vaccum advance unpluged and the hose plugged when trying to set the timing?
No, the carb didn't say what they recomend the timing to be at. The cam was put in the engine long before I got it, I have NOOOO clue what it is. Yes, I did have the vacume advance disconnected and plugged.
Something that I find weird, is that when my distributor didnt have the the springs, it ran fine, or at least it seemed that way to me. I'm no engine expert, so I't may not have been, but my shop teacher and my buddies in shop said it ran great. But when Tim put the springs in it it started running strange.

Quote:
I agree, I'm gonna try to do the rest by my self with help from you wonderful people here at hotrodders.com!

So today I plan on going out and checking to make sure the distributor rotar is pointing to #1 Wire, at TDC. What do I do with it if its not? Take it back and line up the rotar and then put it back in? Also, how do I check to make sure my ballancer is correct? Is it possible for timing chains to get stretched? Is ther an easy way for it to be checked for proper tention?

Also, the car, mostly the engine, but like if ou walk around the car, it always smells like gas, my friend thinks it might be that the intake manifold is getting too hot and boiling the gas in the carb, and causing the smell. What do you guys think? At idle it runs between 190 and 250 Degres F. But sometimes gets up to 250, which i know is way too hot. My fan pushes NO air, should my replacement be a fan with a clutch or just one that spins all the time?

(Thanks a bunch for all the help!)
Old 11-27-2004, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

i bet you have a q-jet.

that is what mine was doing. so i took it off and rebuilt it.
the problem was a scew holding the bottom plate on came loose and was making the carb leak.

a leaking gasket would do the same though.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

i think that my gasket for my carb is shot.
I checked the distributor but i couldnt exactly tell if it was off or not. ARG! This car! What i reallt need to do, is take the engine out, tear the whole thing down, and rebuild it, but i dont have the time, money, tools, or space to do it. I could do it at school in shop, but people steel things there.
Is there another way to get to TDC, other than bumping the ignition to get the timing mark to 0. Because what if my ballancer is off. I was told i could stick like a hanger in the plug hole and feel for the piston, but that confuses me because the plugs go in sideways-ish, and how would I know ifthe hanger is on the right peice of metal.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

i would do the carb first
Old 11-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Kill It & Grill It

Last journal entry: New door panels
Last photo:

To get #1 at Top dead center take the drivers side valve cover off and watch the rocker arms when you bump the starter. When they are both closed ( push rods should feel a little loose) you are at tdc. I believe this is how to do it. If ou smell gas when your walking around the car the the engine is probably running a little rich. You might want to go ahead and put new timing chain on there just to be safe because they can stretch and wear out. Im not sure on how to check if they are worn out. Im sure someone else on here can help more than me.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

mine was diesiling and smelled like gas. and bad gas mileage.
rebuild the carb.
follow the directions exactly and get a new float.

i took mine off, rebuilt it, and had it back on in under 2 hours.
and then spend the rest of the day fixing it cause i did not follow the directions.

i didnt adjust the float right and i bent the needle hook cause it didnt look right, and then i had to go back and fix it.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

You can tell if the timing chain is stretched by turning the balancer back and forth (plugs removed) and see if the distributor rotor responds to the movement or if it lags before moving.

A Q-Jet is a little more problematic than other carbs to rebuild, but patience and attention to the instructions is a must. Also, I've found some instructions leave a lot to your imagination, particularly float settings. If you run into such a situation, ASK, and we'll try to get you an answer.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

Thank you all for the advice! Unfortunatly, the 4day weekend is over and I have to go back to school and get loaded up with homework and will not be able to give results of what I do till next weekend. But thanks a bunch!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:04 PM

Last photo:

RE timing

I agree with mi2600, this is a great time to learn to do it yourself, I think you should get the timing thing situated first, screw the harmonic balancer, take the driver side valve cover off , take all the plugs out, turn the engine with a ratchet on the crank bolt till both the #1 valves close all the way, the push rods should be loose, #1 is the driverside front cylinder, then take the distributor cap off and make sure it is pointing to #1 wire, which I don't think it will be,pull the distributor up slowly while turning the rotor and skip a tooth until it is close to where it should be make sure it sets back in the oil pump also this can be a little tricky you may have to pull it all the way out and use a long screwdriver to move the pump shaft a little but it isn't that bad, this should get you in the ball park, then double check your firing order on the cap to the cylinders 1,3,5,7,on drivers side front to back and 2,4,6,8, on passengers front to back, after that fire it up put it in drive hold the brake and stomp it , if it rattles back the timing off (clockwise), if it doesnt crank it up , counterclockwise until it rattles then back off a touch , this will be dang close, then let us know what happens,,
Good Luck
Dan
Old 11-30-2004, 07:47 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
and stomp it , if it rattles back the timing off
What should rattle, the motor? Or is it something I will know when I hear it?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I've had the same problem before. The first thing that you're having a problem with is your timing is way too advanced for initial. This is why your car is hard to start (probably cranks slow when its warm, starter sounds like it wants to die eh?). Sounds like what you really need are lighter springs so that your timing advances faster. Its advancing too slow and you're trying to make up for it with a lot of initial. Easy fix.

Are your ignition components new? A lot of people will probably flame me for suggesting you "shotgun" the car with parts, but I do suggest, if you don't know their history or condidion, to replace the plugs, wires, cap, rotor. That way you have a good starting point.

You only want 8-12 degrees initial. Get the car running correctly and up to op temp. Set your idle speed and an set your timing for initial. Put the car in gear and use a vacuum gauge to set your idle-mixture. NOW you're set to mess with the car! Reason being is you can't determine what the hell you're doing without a baseline. BTW, get a greese pencil or marker and mark the base of the distributor and intake (draw a line that connects to both). That way you know where your timing is right now, and you can use it as a reference point.

Take the car out and drive it. Get it up to temp, take it out on the highway. Bring it to city speeds and put the peddal down a couple of times. How does it perform? If we're talking about an 8.5:1 motor here, you can run some pretty quick springs on the distributor (take off the rotor, take off springs, put new on. Crane cams kit from summit- 20 bux). In fact, the OBJECT of timing is to use the absolute LIGHTEST springs you can, without spark knock or detonation. Now a couple of things on that-

Before you change back to stiff springs because your car is spark knocking or detonating, you have options. First thing you want to see is when the spark knock is happening. If you're kocking or detonating at full throttle, you're either a bit too lean or are running too much timing. Check your plugs, take out some timing try again. You may be able to fatten up the secondaries.

If you get knock at part-throttle, you have more options. The best of which is to use an adjustable vacuum canister for your distributor, so you can take out part-throttle advance.

After a few miles down the road, try to tune in your carb by reading the plugs.

Hope that helps-

K

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.