350 chevy small block ?s - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 01:07 AM

Last journal entry: pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hey, about the heads......you might still be able to find a pair of 461x's lying around somewhere. perhaps off ebay or someone that just doesn't know anything about them. If you do it up right, they can give vortech's a run for their money and at a much lower price tag. look up the info on both of them and see what you think. the biggest benifit of the 461x's is that you can use whatever intake you want. the draw back is no accessory bolt holes....there are ways around that though. i got mine with my 327 for a total of $275. man i made out big lol

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 06:00 AM

Last photo:

If you want that 350 to make power. You have to start out with a good straight bore. MOST 350 Chevy blocks have over 80,000+ miles on them when removed, for whatever reason. That many miles and you are looking at a bore job on the average small block. Start out correctly and use sound assembly practices, you will make your 350 hp goal.

Look at those dyno figures. That is a basic engine as I described. The heads are S/R which are a stock type head. Don't go overboard on compression. You are trying to build a good basic street motor, operating below 5500 rpm.

With the pre 1976 heads (461's for example) you will have more money in the heads than they are worth. They have to have hardened exhaust seats installed, plus all the normal Chevy head work, there is no place to mount your accessories. They use the old style large spark plugs.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:07 AM

Last journal entry: pics
Last photo:

Quote:
With the pre 1976 heads (461's for example) you will have more money in the heads than they are worth.
that is a matter of opinion.....how much is easily obtainable horsepower and torque worth to you? Besides, about the seats, I'm gonna have 2.02 and 1.60 valves installed anyway so that is no big deal...it doesn't cost as much as most people think to have a descent head job done. And if done right then it's well worth it to the owner.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:41 AM

Last photo:

unless I already had em layin around anyway, I agree, Id never go buy a set of older heads( like 461s) & than put money into em, by the time your done, may as well buy new. John
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

heyy thanks alot for yalls input but ide really like to go buy a new set of heads just so i dont have to go threw the hassel of haveing them rebuilt of anything being wrong with them so what would u suggest on them heads?

And how much on an avarage does cylinder boreing costs?

Last edited by 350MC; 06-16-2004 at 10:17 AM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.