350 Chevy Torque Motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 07:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 Chevy Torque Motor

Ok first of all I know this is the hotrodders Bulletin Board but I figured if anyone knew about cams and intakes you guys would. I'am trying to get my friend's four-wheel drive truck it is somewhere close to a 1980-84 to have some more power and I was curious what lift and duration would be a good choice on a cam and what intake Manifold would go good with that. My first thought was a 480 lift with like 250 duration and a weiand Intake. Then someone brought up the Idea of roller lifters and rockers but I thought you had to do some work to use that type of stuff and they said that I didn't have to and I could use a hydraulic cam so I am really confused and I was hoping to get some help Thanks in advance

BC

Advertisement

Last edited by BCCustom; 04-16-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 08:04 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

you can put a roller cam in, but that costs a considerable amount of money. For your particular application I would recomend going with stamped steel 1.6:1 rocker arms on a Lunati cam (part number 60101). You'll probably need new springs to match that setup and may need to check for valve clearance. This setup would work very well with an otherwise stock engine. If you want to change something else too, the next best part is long tube headers, and for a manifold I would recomend an Edelbrock performer.

ALSO the addition of these parts will more than likely also increase your MPG- just a nice little extra!
Old 04-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
you can put a roller cam in, but that costs a considerable amount of money. For your particular application I would recomend going with stamped steel 1.6:1 rocker arms on a Lunati cam (part number 60101). You'll probably need new springs to match that setup and may need to check for valve clearance. This setup would work very well with an otherwise stock engine. If you want to change something else too, the next best part is long tube headers, and for a manifold I would recomend an Edelbrock performer.

ALSO the addition of these parts will more than likely also increase your MPG- just a nice little extra!
Welcome to the site, Newbie...BCCustom.....

Lunati does not have a part number 60101.
Their number 06101 has a gross valve lift of only .393 That is pretty lame.

I suggest a duration range of about 208* and a lift of .475 if you can get it.

CompCams 12-231-2 X4250H 206/214* .453 lift
CompCams 12-235-2 X4254H 210/218* .462 lift

Don't forget that valve lifts approaching .500 might cause the keepers to hit the valve guide/seal , which would require machine work to the head.

Last edited by xntrik; 04-16-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
I agree with xntrik. Either of those cams will work well with a pretty-much stock motor.

I'm assuming you already have some decent gears in the truck because of it being a 4 x 4, but if not, gears should be first, then converter (2,200-2,500 heavy duty), then headers/mufflers/pipes and finally the cam. Think of these parts as a "combination" of parts that work together to gain more as the sum of the parts rather than each part would gain individually.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1
I agree with xntrik. Either of those cams will work well with a pretty-much stock motor.

I'm assuming you already have some decent gears in the truck because of it being a 4 x 4, but if not, gears should be first, then converter (2,200-2,500 heavy duty), then headers/mufflers/pipes and finally the cam. Think of these parts as a "combination" of parts that work together to gain more as the sum of the parts rather than each part would gain individually.

Agreed.

But I tend to think exhaust first,
then converter, 2000-2200 max,
then cam.

I failed to mention in # 3 that these are hydraulic flat tappet cams. I don't think the rollers are worth the difference in power. $$$$$$$
Old 04-17-2006, 04:43 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Lunati does not have a part number 60101.
Their number 06101 has a gross valve lift of only .393 That is pretty lame.
Really.........

Lunati VooDoo 60101
Old 04-17-2006, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Headers and exhaust will help the most

A good set of 64cc, small port heads will help a lot or at least some mild bowl work on the stock heads.

A mild hyd cam is your best bet. Look for a cam with a duration of 204 to 208 intake and 210 to 214 exhaust with 108 to 110 lobe seperation. Lift should be in the 0.450" range.

Use a Q-jet with an edelbrock performer intake

Later, consider a 383.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Thanks hippie- perhaps I should have said that it was the second smallest VooDoo cam that Lunati made to be more specific. Right now for hyd flat tappets on the street those cams have the best lobe shape- that is if they match the duration you are looking for.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:36 AM

hey man

whats going on ........I just thought you should know a bigger cam by itself only moves your peak power to a higher RPM....a big cam with a intake will help since the intake will allow a little more air in the engine....but the real key to power is to allow the engine to breath..inhale through a 4bbl carb and singel plane intake and importantly heads. exhale through headers and exhaust.

the singel most important modification are cylender heads..you gain between 20hp-250hp depenging on if you are porting your existing heads or shaving the heads or even fitting them with oversive valves...a good heads can mean the diffrence between night and day followed with

.... 4bbl carb, singel plane intake,headers,slightly bigger cam,and a msd ignition. A 2000 stall converter and a shift kit on the trans will only help.

do you know alot about cylender compression ..you can gain power with higher compression.....compression is the "squeeze" that happens every time the piston reaches the top of the cylender against the head. The higher the compr. the closer the piston is to the fire in the cylender.which means since the pistons are connected to the connection rods and crank it affects everything.
sometimes the pistons in factory engines are set a littel deeper than needed making compression drop..u can use slightly longer connection rods to increase comp.. or shave the head to bring the chambers closer down to build compression.

thats all 4 now

Last edited by TwinturboEFI454; 04-17-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:19 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Remember guys, this is for a 4x4 truck, not a quick car! Forget about big HP numbers altogether, you want big torque at low speed. That's assuming it's for rought trail and rock crawling work. If it's a sand or mud racer, you want rpm.

A SMALL 4V carb will limit high end HP, but deliver GREAT off-idle torque. I mean something like a 500 cfm, a 600 cfm at the most. Square bore will probably work better than a spread bore like a Q-jet. The carb is already on the small side, so opening the secondaries more often isn't going to hurt that much. Opening those big secondaries on a Q-jet when you need a little more power could cause a slight bog at the wrong time. I know it won't under perfect conditions, but if the truck is leaning or at some odd angle and running low speed, but you need to "goose" it to get over a rock/log/etc. and drop back down on the other side, you might not get over with a Q-jet.

A dual plane intake is almost a must! A large open plenum is great for high rpm, but not so good for low rpm. You've got the right idea, think TORQUE -- NOT HP!! You don't even need really big torque numbers, you need good torque numbers at low rpm. Tell the guys at Lunati what you plan on doing and they'll recommend a cam. I wouldn't try picking the cam myself. If you're unsure, call someone like Crane and get a second opinion, then compare. You should find similar specs.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:47 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinturboEFI454
whats going on ........I just thought you should know a bigger cam by itself only moves your peak power to a higher RPM....a big cam with a intake will help since the intake will allow a little more air in the engine....but the real key to power is to allow the engine to breath..inhale through a 4bbl carb and singel plane intake and importantly heads. exhale through headers and exhaust.

the singel most important modification are cylender heads..you gain between 20hp-250hp depenging on if you are porting your existing heads or shaving the heads or even fitting them with oversive valves...a good heads can mean the diffrence between night and day followed with

.... 4bbl carb, singel plane intake,headers,slightly bigger cam,and a msd ignition. A 2000 stall converter and a shift kit on the trans will only help.

do you know alot about cylender compression ..you can gain power with higher compression.....compression is the "squeeze" that happens every time the piston reaches the top of the cylender against the head. The higher the compr. the closer the piston is to the fire in the cylender.which means since the pistons are connected to the connection rods and crank it affects everything.
sometimes the pistons in factory engines are set a littel deeper than needed making compression drop..u can use slightly longer connection rods to increase comp.. or shave the head to bring the chambers closer down to build compression.

thats all 4 now

Those are great points for high HP, but we're not talking about high HP, its low end torque we're after.

Dual plane intake, high lift, low duration, about 9.5:1 compression, small carb, short rods, long tube headers, the good TRUCK stuff....
Old 04-17-2006, 10:57 PM

wow

Thank you guys so much, that was crazy how fast you all replied to that and it is going to be a big help, but his starter just went out so we are going to pull the motor and replace the flex plate, and maybe do some other work while the motor is out of the truck and Thanks again you guys rock.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,057 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCustom
Thank you guys so much, that was crazy how fast you all replied to that and it is going to be a big help, but his starter just went out so we are going to pull the motor and replace the flex plate, and maybe do some other work while the motor is out of the truck and Thanks again you guys rock.
This would be a good opportunity to replace the converter.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:34 AM

One more question

How does using a smaller carb work better for you? and does the Holley truck avenger series really work better than a normal holley or Edlebrock thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

I'll "second" ap72's cam selection....split pattern and more exhaust lift builds torque, .468"E lift sounds pretty safe for spring bind

depending on the heads and springs...comp cam 218/226 .462/.480(!!!) 111c is a possible depending on gears and tires and use

talk to both

smaller carb generates higher velocity at low to medium rpm to build torque..

I "second" the 500cfm carb, try a junk yard 1" 4 hole spacer for even more velocity?

Last edited by red65mustang; 04-18-2006 at 10:49 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.