350 chevy what starter to use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 09:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 chevy what starter to use?

Im Derek with my 55 Willys project back, i have made progres, got a newer rebuilt 350 n long block n needing to finish kinda dressing up, got a new short style water pump, need alternator not sure what amp i should use, not running pwr steer, or a/c, just basics, also big ? is my flywheel is
168 tooth so can i run most of the new starters u c for sale on Ebay, my motor was cast n 1979, most new starter listed dont list that far back, but im told i can pick kinda any of the newer starters listed for chevy 350?
Im not wanting to buy any thing fancy n flashy its just for my 55 Willys weekender, im seeing the starters for as low as $60 n alternators 63-110
amp 1 wire for about $70-$100 i need advice on both, thanks, Derek

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 PM

buy a good quality starter,might be a long walk if you stall the truck out in nowhere land.
Buy a big alternator if you have an electric winch
Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I Had nothing but good luck with this starter,,, As far as buying big name starters... I will never spend my money on them again.... I was told I had to have a power master starter on my 468 big block.. Yeah Ok !!!! Broke the nose right off one,,, Bought this one and never had a problem after that.. I put this little starter on every car I build now... Good people and good stater for the money.... Lay it next to a power master starter and you won't know one from the other..Check with this guy...Chevy 305 350 454 Mini Racing PMGR Starter High Torque | eBay
Old 06-25-2013, 11:38 AM

As far as the alternator, I would heed the advice of automotive electrical guru Mark Hamilton, who advises against "one-wire" alternators...

MadElectrical.com - Mad Enterprises

I've bought full kits from Mark for both my '71 Thunderbird and '70 Caprice, and I've been 100% happy with the results both times...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Never had a problem running one wire alternator..It's all I use..
Old 06-25-2013, 11:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdhunter View Post
Im Derek with my 55 Willys project back, i have made progres, got a newer rebuilt 350 n long block n needing to finish kinda dressing up, got a new short style water pump, need alternator not sure what amp i should use, not running pwr steer, or a/c, just basics
Use an internal regulator type alternator. The most common- and usually cheapest- is the SI series. The 10SI can be found w/amp ratings from 37 to 63. The 12SI were available w/56 up to 94 amp.

One wire alternators are generally speaking not the best way to go. More: Delco SI Alternator 1-Wire vs 3-Wire Explained and MAD Electrical

Quote:
also big ? is my flywheel is
168 tooth so can i run most of the new starters u c for sale on Ebay, my motor was cast n 1979, most new starter listed dont list that far back, but im told i can pick kinda any of the newer starters listed for chevy 350?
Im not wanting to buy any thing fancy n flashy its just for my 55 Willys weekender, im seeing the starters for as low as $60 n alternators 63-110
amp 1 wire for about $70-$100 i need advice on both, thanks, Derek
Many of the high torque mini starters use the bolt holes that are straight across from each other. These holes were used w/the 153 tooth flex/flywheel in OEM apps. The staggered bolt holes are used w/a 168 tooth flex, again in an OEM app.

So as long as you have the straight across bolt holes in your block you can use an aftermarket starter that uses those holes w/the 168 tooth flex. If you choose to use a traditional Chevy starter, get one that has the staggered mounting holes in the nose. More on starters here.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:31 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Never had a problem running one wire alternator..It's all I use..
DITTO.. not all I'll use but never had an issue with one
Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 AM

Either a one-wire or a 3 wire alternator will work, but the 3 wire is a better choice if you want it to work like OEM and keep the battery charged at any RPM. If you are going to run the Willys at low speed quite a bit, the 3 wire is probably a better match overall.

The 94 amp internally regulated GM 12si should have enough output for your application, and they are available from any parts store. You can get them with various clocking for the case terminals (3, 6, 9 etc.) and with either V-belt or serpentine pulley. Brackets for an SI alternator with a short water pump are probably not OEM, since the SI was mostly used after GM switched to the long pump. However, the brackets you need should be available in aftermarket.

Bruce
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

Use a CS-130 alterator.. good for 110A, and they charge WAY WAY WAHY better at idle.. but they aren't cheap.

$100-ish from advance auto parts.
if you use the alternator to a 1989 Olds Cutlass Cierra with the 3300 v6, you will get a CS-130 with 180-degree opposed mounting lugs that will fit standard sbc alternator mounts with some persuasion.

this is a METRIC alternator, it's ever-so-slightly shorter in height then an SI series, and you will need a metric bolt for the tapped hole in the housing, but it DOES fit.

you will need a 4-wire plug from the parts store to wire it.

my neighbor got drunk tried to leave the park, and in the process, tried to shove my olds cutlass cierra under my mobile home...
http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/NonMonte/car1.JPG

so before his insurance company hauled it away for scrap, I liberated the CS-130 alternator (wish I kept the whole 3300 very nice engine)
and bolted it up to my '72 monte carlo with its 1970 SBC 350.
i put the custom fan on there for looks.. the stock one would have worked fine. it even does ok with a single v-belt instead of the poly-v.

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/Engine/DSCN0763.JPG

side view:

http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/Engine/DSCN0762.JPG

as for the starter, unless you are running crazy compression, an o.e spec starter should do fine.. it's all I've ever used.. even at 9.5:1 compression and long-tube headers.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.