350 Crate - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Automotive LTD Technition

Wiki Edits: 0

350 Crate

Hea y'all, i haven't been online in a while, i'm lookin' to put a 350 SBC in my new(er) 82' silverauto, recently we put a late 70's early 80's step-side wood bed off of a GMC on there, and we got a new unmarked tailgate from Summit, about the only things I've done to it as of thus, was put the carb off of my jeep on the pickup, and let my dad have the edelbrock off of the pickup (i had a holley, and we put the carb off of the jeep on the pickup and visa-versa), well now i'm looking to put an MPI setup on the truck, and i'm hoping that with a crate motor i can get a fresh start (so to speak) i was thinking of when i get the motor, putting it on the engine stand first off, and give it a good going through, this is a base-unit 350, 4bolt truck motor, according to GM it has about 275HP i'm hoping to get it to about 350 HP, with plenty of low-end torque, does anybody have any ideas as to how i can accomplish this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 11:58 AM

i've considered it, that or just bolt a set of vortec heads on, with a 350 horse 327 cam, a coupple of guys in my club suggested that cam O.o, but those arent bad ideas either, for 1500 i can get a 350 crate motor, how much do you think a set of vortec heads would cost?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM

i looked at that hi-energy cam in my Year One Catalog, pretty impressive, theres also the COMP Cams Offroad XTreme energy cam CC09
Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM

sounds pretty good, my dad suggested that i wate till' the warantee runs out, to do anything to the engine, it has a 1 year warantee, after that wears out i'm gonna think about that, i also have a 2000 stall B&M converter that i was gonna' use in my jeep, but instead i may just get a cam that'll use it, and run it that way. or i may just go with something similar to the suggestion you made earlyer, that sounds like a pretty solid idea, the p'up already has headers, and i'm converting over to fuel-injection, and a cam is pretty easy to install.. i like that idea
Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 PM

okay i just found out that the 350 horse cam is a solid lifter cam, so i may just go with a GM Direct 300 horse 327 cam, i'm kinda interested to see what that'll sound like O.o
Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

The 350HP 327 is a HYDRAULIC cam.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 AM

the Comp Cams replacement is listed as a Solid Lifter in the Year One book, i was gonna' go GM direct for the parts, and the engine i have now is only 260 HP, i'm just going for a little more, not quite a whole lot seeing as i'm going to put a crate motor in this truck sooner or later, and if i can get away with only paying 200 dollars for a cam and lifter combo, for the time being, or i could just keep this engine, and go with a cam with a little over .500 lift such as the "hot cam" from VOODO that they sell at Autozone here in town for a little over 400 bucks, the most that i know about is V6 engines, messin' with V8's is entire new ground with me on this one, the fundimentals are basicly the same, the crank turns at one speed, the cam turns at a slightly slower pace, and controls the intake and exhaust, but the cam's durration and lobe seperation also controls the compression of the cylinders by dictating when and how long the valves are kept open for, longer durration lower compression, shorter durration, higher compression (so i'm told) a friend of mine finally listened to me about putting a V8 in a truck he's building, but somebody talked him out of the 350, and instead talked him INTO a 302 Roller Ford Motor which will be 2 to 3X more expencive to build, oh well, i suppose he'll have to learn the hard way and we'll have to get specialized tools from Ford to tune and even assemble the darned thing, and also, it depends on which versian of the 350 you have that determines what size cam came in it, if its an entery level early to mid 60's motor, it could be as little as 190 horsepower, even most of the new ones are short on power, the crate motor i'm ordering has a modist 300 horses, i'll wate for the warantee to go out, and i'll throw something bigger in there, and work my way up, as i get the cash to do it, i dont claim to know Everything there is to know about an engine, but i do know enough to put one together, and make a little power, i've also been told mixed reports, (Big Valves for power) and (Big Valves Kill Torque) where are these people getting there information???????????? we've used Desktop Dyno 2000 and tested large and small valves in a bone stock 350 SBC and shown verry little difference up high, but down low we've seen as much as a 1500RPM difference in where the torque comes in with big valves as apposed to small. >.< there i go again, off on a rant. sorry guys, i need sleep

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.