350 crate engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2002, 02:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 350 crate engine

I bought a 4 bolt main crate 350 engine ('71-'85) from the dealer today and am mounting a rebuilt 700r4 behind it. I just ordered an Eldelbrock 2701 manifold and 600 cfm Eldelbrock carb. I've searched this forum and read that once installed, the engine should be revved to 2500rpm for 15-20 mins for break in, drain and replace the oil and filter. Should I re-torque the heads? Is there anything else I should do?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2002, 03:30 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

15 to 20 minutes is break in time for the cam. However i feel the engine needs more time to fully saturate the heat before you retoqure the heads. I like to closely watch the temp and let the engine run for 30 minutes at speeds form idle to 50. as in go drive around town for 30 minutes. I would allow the engine to cool over night ,check the toqure and again run it at temp again for 30 minutes. If everything looks good then drive it normally varing speeds up to 55 for 500 miles.At 500 miles i would then change the oil for the frist time. You will find there are many opinions as to how to do this. This way makes the most sense to me. Good luck and congratulations on the new motor. Will you let me know how the 2701 manifoild works for you?
Slider in Wa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2002, 05:58 PM
It is now Saturday, everyday!!

Last journal entry: Project '57 Ranchero
Last photo:

I'm an Edelbrock fan. In 1990 I put a crate 350 in my '40 coupe. I installed part number (at that time and looking at the invoice) Performer manifold 2101 and a 1405 600 CFM Man/Choke carb. It fired right off. Took it to a friend with instrumentation for very little final adjustment. That set up has not been touched todate. good luck, r

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.