350 crate engine overheating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 02:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 crate engine overheating

i just recently installed a new sbc 350 engine in my 85 Monte Carlo SS, after installation the car started to overheat while driving >220 degress and getting to 260 degress. Everything is new on the engine except the water pump which came of a serpentine set up i got from the salvage yard.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 PM

Last photo:

I've got an '86 SS with a 350. Just thought I'd suggest you may have the wrong water pump. I believe the serpentine set-ups had a reverse flow pump compared to the old days(1960's). I'm not certain. You might check with NAPA or a dealer.
When I first installed my 350 it got hot. Found out the upper rad hose was missing what looks like a plastic elbow that keeps it from getting pinched by closing the hood. That seemed to fix it, but I bought a 3row radiator for peace of mind. Not saying you should. Just a thought. Good luck!
ssmonty
Old 01-23-2009, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmonty
I've got an '86 SS with a 350. Just thought I'd suggest you may have the wrong water pump. I believe the serpentine set-ups had a reverse flow pump compared to the old days(1960's). I'm not certain. You might check with NAPA or a dealer.
When I first installed my 350 it got hot. Found out the upper rad hose was missing what looks like a plastic elbow that keeps it from getting pinched by closing the hood. That seemed to fix it, but I bought a 3row radiator for peace of mind. Not saying you should. Just a thought. Good luck!
ssmonty
That's where I would start also, along with verifying proper timing. On a side note, I had an 85 SS a while back, and have some parts yet, if any interest.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

I was thinking the water pump also...it's a reverse flow pump from a serpentine set up but may be old and worn out! I was thinking of purchasing a high flow reverse flow water pump i saw on ebay! Radiator is brand new but i think it's only a 2 row radiator not sure!
Old 01-23-2009, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman
That's where I would start also, along with verifying proper timing. On a side note, I had an 85 SS a while back, and have some parts yet, if any interest.
what parts do you have? My brother also has a 84 SS is always looking for parts!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Are you using a serpentine or V belt set up? A V belt must use a standard flow water pump. (Clockwise) A serpentine can use both depending on the set up of direction. Some Serpentine systems use a smooth water pump pulley which is reverse flow (counter clockwise), a ribbed or grooved water pump pulley is standard flow(clockwise) So if your running a V belt with a reverse flow pump it`s going to run hot.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

350 crate engine overheating

I would like to say that i solved my overheating problem. I did the things that you guys n gals suggested:
1. changed thermostat, the new one i had was a bad one. took the bad one and put it in some boiling water and it never did open up.
2. after changing the thermostat, it started to heat up but not as fast. so my next step was the fan clutch.
3 changed fan clutches and it didn't help, so i sat and looked at the engine real good and "Ding" the bell rung in my head.
4 Since the engine is no longer on a v belt setup and now is a serpintine setup, the fan needs to rotate the same way as the water pump.
5 changed factory fan to a reverse fan and all my overheating issues was solved.
Thanks to all who put a post on my issue!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:40 PM

sbc overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirdeh20
i just recently installed a new sbc 350 engine in my 85 Monte Carlo SS, after installation the car started to overheat while driving >220 degress and getting to 260 degress. Everything is new on the engine except the water pump which came of a serpentine set up i got from the salvage yard.
I would say you also have the wrong water pump. what temperature thermostat did you put in?New? I would also check that the cooling system is not airbound.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:31 PM

Last photo:

The water pump is a reverse flow water pump and the thermostat is 160 degree. The first thermostat was new but bad, so i changed it and it works correctly. I just drove it for about a hour and temp didn't get above 200 degrees. It just skipped my mind that the stock fan for a v belt drive will not work on a serpentine drive set up.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

reverse rotation, not reverse flow
Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

correct reverse rotation

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.