350 engine dies sometimes.. transmission ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 engine dies sometimes.. transmission ???

HI guys !
Please help
Two years ago i bought 1979 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with some modifications (roll cage, SBC350 with Holley Street Avenger 80670 Dual Feed, Edelbrock Performer RPM (1500-6500) intake,MSD dist., Headers, B&M TH400 trans, new sparks, cables,).

Car was in bad condition , so i start 2 years complete rebuild project (without engine).

Now car is ready , but i have problem;
Engine runs smoothly on idle (about 1000rpm) but when i put in gear it drops to 500rpm and idle rough, and dies when i turn steering wheel, but when i push gas pedal car runs and drive.
Intake is Edelbrock Performer RPM (1500-6500), i don't know what kind of camshaft is in engine, possible something performance (i saw Comp Camps Roller Rockers). Yesterday i changed carb,set ignition timing, fuel level, idle air/fuel mixture but problem is the same, tommorow i want to put Edelbrock Performer Intake ( idle-5500).
I rebuild transmission (converter is old) and i think to myself "maybe is something wrong with trans? "
What you think guys ?

thanks

Michael
Poland

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom_rider View Post
HI guys !
Please help
Two years ago i bought 1979 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 with some modifications (roll cage, SBC350 with Holley Street Avenger 80670 Dual Feed, Edelbrock Performer RPM (1500-6500) intake,MSD dist., Headers, B&M TH400 trans, new sparks, cables,).

Car was in bad condition , so i start 2 years complete rebuild project (without engine).

Now car is ready , but i have problem;
Engine runs smoothly on idle (about 1000rpm) but when i put in gear it drops to 500rpm and idle rough, and dies when i turn steering wheel, but when i push gas pedal car runs and drive.
Intake is Edelbrock Performer RPM (1500-6500), i don't know what kind of camshaft is in engine, possible something performance (i saw Comp Camps Roller Rockers). Yesterday i changed carb,set ignition timing, fuel level, idle air/fuel mixture but problem is the same, tommorow i want to put Edelbrock Performer Intake ( idle-5500).
I rebuild transmission (converter is old) and i think to myself "maybe is something wrong with trans? "
What you think guys ?

thanks

Michael
Poland
You need to explore the cam timing, if it won't idle under 1000 in neutral it could be telling you it's a big stick in which case a stock converter would pull the RPMs down to low for the cam to keep the engine running. A higher stall converter would be required to allow a higher in gear idle without pulling through traffic lights when trying to be stopped. Or less cam will do the same thing.

Bogie
Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

thanks
How to easy explore camshaft timing ?
How to check what stall converter do i have now ?

Michael

Tags
engine dies rough

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.