350 engine I.D. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2011, 03:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 engine I.D.

Ok so i picked up a engine from a dude about a month ago for 100 bucks i know its a 350 flat top pistons cast crank 4 bolt. I was told its a crate engine. On the rear it is stamped hecho en mexico
So heres what i have
Block front MA14800
rear 3970010
heads 3998993 gone now are 2.02 that i put on
side 010 so i know its a 350 block
rear clock 11am-12noon
random rear number 86
4bolt main cast crank
Aluminum Flat top pistions
cam idk wanna find out
please can anyone help an please i dont wanna hear oh its a crap engine or crappy smog heads i just wanna know what this engine is. I think its a gm mr goodwrench but i also think its a target master

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 04:49 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

Goodwrench crate motor.4 bolt 350. 2 piece rear main. Dipstick on either side. (or both sides) I have one I am building now. Have heard good and bad about them. Clean it up, square it up, add studs, windage tray, and clean and polish and Glyptal the block. Drive it!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

see thats what i thought but my block only has one side dipstick.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:12 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt921
see thats what i thought but my block only has one side dipstick.
Are you sure? One hole is even with the head surface the other side has a boss cast in the side. Take a better look, I ll bet im right!!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

Last photo:

yeah I looked hard on both sides with the pan off to. Only one
Old 08-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It`s nothing special, but it does okay. Most of these engines didn`t come with flat top pistons. So I would bring one to top dead center and measure how far down in the bore the piston is. If it`s .045 or more then somebody has been through it before and installed "Rebuilder" pistons with a reduced compression height. These pistons kill compression and quench, they also make for a very lazy burn. With a large chamber 76cc stock head and a stock replacement head gasket that`s .041 thick, the compression ratio will be around 7.9:1. The casting number confirms it`s a 350, did you notice the 010 on the side of the block is also the last three numbers of the casting number? Also yes, the block is a target master. Not only does it say made in mexico but the M on the deck indicates GM of mexico and the numbers your engine carries are the same ones that came on TM engines.
Where the former poster said "clean polish and Glyptal the block" my advice is don`t waste your time. Using Glyptal does absolutely nothing in terms of helping oil return. The SBC has one of the best oil return systems out there and it does a good job in stock form. If you need more oil return then you simply clean out of the casting flash on the stock locations.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 PM

Last photo:

yeah i even looked again tonight even on the oil pan there is only one notch on it for one oil dip stick. Thats why im starting to think this is a targetmaster engine
Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleVision
It`s nothing special, but it does okay. Most of these engines didn`t come with flat top pistons. So I would bring one to top dead center and measure how far down in the bore the piston is. If it`s .045 or more then somebody has been through it before and installed "Rebuilder" pistons with a reduced compression height. These pistons kill compression and quench, they also make for a very lazy burn. With a large chamber 76cc stock head and a stock replacement head gasket that`s .041 thick, the compression ratio will be around 7.9:1. The casting number confirms it`s a 350, did you notice the 010 on the side of the block is also the last three numbers of the casting number? Also yes, the block is a target master. Not only does it say made in mexico but the M on the deck indicates GM of mexico and the numbers your engine carries are the same ones that came on TM engines.
Where the former poster said "clean polish and Glyptal the block" my advice is don`t waste your time. Using Glyptal does absolutely nothing in terms of helping oil return. The SBC has one of the best oil return systems out there and it does a good job in stock form. If you need more oil return then you simply clean out of the casting flash on the stock locations.
Yeah i was kinda leaning toward the target engine. I dont know there not really flat they look like this kinda

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.