350 and good gas milage and a combo HELP - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 09:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 chevy help pick some parts forget gas milage

i was searching on these forums for some good threads on building a 350 chevelle 1960-1970 something body (im still hunting for a chevelle with a title that can be fixed up so if u live close to St. Louis or wihin a state or 2 or IL let me know) that can get good miles to the gallon, yet get some nice speed. i was wondering if anyone knew a good 350 engine carb and everything else combo and a good trans also for this type of car. dad knows alot about any car older then 85 as he has restored and rebuilt many engines and trans but since he hasnt done one for 10 years he doesnt know all the good equip anymore if u get what im saying. he knows what he would like to put in my car i wanna build but he is thinking theres better and easy to get parts to get a good gas to mile ratio. so if u get what im saying can you help us out.

Advertisement

Last edited by changer01; 09-22-2003 at 09:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2003, 09:31 PM

If you want good mileage and decent power look into a swap of a modern fuel injected 350. Go to the wrecking yard and get a motor from a 96 chevy p/u. They have Vortec heads fuel injection etc. Also get the computer, there are many places that sell wiring kits for this type of application, and presto you have decent mileage and decent power.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:50 PM

Dad was thinking about a fuel injector but as i said he knows much much more on 85 and down and kinda wanna keep it that way so hes wanting a engine, carb, trans thatll work good but also what parts in and on motor would play nice together for decent gas to milage it doesnt have to be incrediable just something that wont make me go bankrupt driving it around normally and filling it up constantly.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:31 PM

what about just rebuilding a good chevy 350? would a 750cfm carb and a summit cam shaft be good, if so which summit cam shaft? what would also be some good pistons the flat top's or doms?
Old 09-22-2003, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Building a chevelle from that year and getting good gasmilage will be tricky. You won't make it to 20 mpg but you can shoot for 15. Fuel injection would be the best and there are aftermarked fuel injectors (depending on how deep your wallet is) if nothing else I believe Q jets get the best gasmilage out of carbs with it small primarys and huge secondarys. Try to have a manual transmission because i have heard that auto's will just steal horse which means they will steal gas. If thats not the case try to find an overdrive automatic transmission that way you won't be buzzing the engine while you are going down the highway. Get a good ignition system with good plugs so you get a better spark which will burn the fuel more efficiantly. um... a tornado? I don't know what else... drop the cats if the engine had any. Have it well tuned. Another thing that good gasmilage depends on is how you drive it. i think thats all i can be of help.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:06 PM

yea me and dad have decided on just building a good solid chevelle car and imma keep my 92 oldsmobile cutlass surpreme and drive it when i cant afford the chevelle so know we just looking for solid pistons, cam shaft, and carb for the block. so if anyone wants to help a noobie help his dad picking out good parts then post any suggestions welcome.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

For decent mileage, I`ll lay out some parts here. this set up is with a carb, but would also work with fuel injection. this would be on a sbc 350.
A Rochester Quadrajet carb, small primary`s make for good mileage and throttle response. a edelbrock performer intake with a 4 hole carb spacer. a HEI with a pertronix flame thrower coil and module, a good set of spiral core plug wires, routed correctly. a comp cams 252 or 260H camshaft, a cloyes true double roller timing chain. a good set of closed chamber heads, vortec, camel hump heads or the like. a set of "D" dish pistons, do a mock up assembly to check how far the pistons are in the bore, have the block decked to the point the piston is about .007 in the hole. use a fel pro .041 head gasket, this will give you about a .048 Quench area, a set of tri-Y headers, and H pipe set at the exhausts hottest area on a dual exhaust set up, a set of low restriction mufflers. a 700R4 overdrive transmission, a set of 3.23 to 3.42 gears with royal purple synthetic gear oil in the rear, and lastly, drive it like it`s got a egg under the gas pedal, or install a vacuum gauge and drive at the highest vacuum point for your speed. this combo will give a pretty decent mileage and a outstanding throttle responsive engine with great low end torque. if you build this one, take the time to tune it in and good mileage and low end power will be the result, and it`ll run on 87 octane gas.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:05 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

A good setup I've had for power and milage is:
Stock rebuilt 350 shortblock w/ dished pistons
305 1.84 valve heads
Summit k1103 cam 214/224@050
Edelbrock performer intake
600 vacuum secondarie holley
1 5/8" headers duel 2 1/4
2200 stall converter in TH350
3.42 rear
26" tires
This netted me a traction limited 14.55@95mph and still got about 14-15mpg in a 3500lb 78 montecarlo.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.