350 head options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 head options

k i recently purchasd a 350 out of a 89 sierra its a tpi engine with the factory swirl port 193 heads i also have a 305 in my nova currently with 434 casting heads i know they both suck and im workin on getting a set of camel humps but i want to get the motor in the car its been rebuilt and ready to go i was wonderin if i should stick with the factory heads or switch to the 305 heads for ease of installation seeing as how i would need to drill out the 4brl intake to work with the factory heads just want to get my back on the road quickly i can always change heads after i have the new ones worked over thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnov73
seeing as how i would need to drill out the 4brl intake to work with the factory heads
I hope this makes sense to someone who can help you. It makes no sense to me.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

NO, tech, it's pretty garbled. Not only that but it is the ubiquitous 305 head on a 350 question. AGAIN.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

the 89 350 he has has the center bolt valve cover heads which have the different angle bolts in the center of the intake. What he is saying is he has an older engine with all the intake bolts at the same angle. The intake that he has is for the older style which would require him ablonging the holes in the intake to fit the center bolt valve cover heads

if he uses the 350 heads he will have to oblong the holes in the intake if he uses the 305 heads he will not have to do this.

You need to consider compression ratio here, the 305 heads are probably a 58cc head and the 350 heads are a 64cc head.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85
if he uses the 350 heads he will have to oblong the holes in the intake if he uses the 305 heads he will not have to do this.
Thank You.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:39 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnov73
k i recently purchasd a 350 out of a 89 sierra its a tpi engine with the factory swirl port 193 heads i also have a 305 in my nova currently with 434 casting heads i know they both suck and im workin on getting a set of camel humps but i want to get the motor in the car its been rebuilt and ready to go i was wonderin if i should stick with the factory heads or switch to the 305 heads for ease of installation seeing as how i would need to drill out the 4brl intake to work with the factory heads just want to get my back on the road quickly i can always change heads after i have the new ones worked over thanx
If time is important, just oblong the holes in the intake and find or make the angled "washers" to mate the different algled bolts to the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adaptor1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	47198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake-stock.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	47200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wedges3.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	47201  
Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Why does everyone want camel hump heads ?
Isīnt it better to go to an up to date aftermarket head ?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:04 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
Why does everyone want camel hump heads ?
Isīnt it better to go to an up to date aftermarket head ?
IMO, most guys generally don't want fulie heads- at least nothing like before the Vortec heads became available for a pittance.

Between the Vortec's and the cheap off-shore aluminum heads, fulies are further down the list than ever, unless it's a restoration.

Bad news for the guys who were hoarding double hump heads for decades, good news for those who know how to extract good power from them.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:30 AM

sry guys for being so umbled in my words and the reason im going with camel humps is i can get them cheap 100 which is why i need them reworked first and the 434 heads ar 62 cc 1.72in 1.5 ex compression is my main concern (yes ive read other posts about 305's on 350's) i dont care about performance with these heads i know i wint get what i want out of them im lookin for a easy solution to a basic problem. what i was wonderin is should i use a thicker head gasket like a .042 if i use the 305 heads to bring compression down in order save my mpg's or just stick with the 350 heads
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Wiki Edits: 1

350 head options

madnov73
as doc would have said, your basic problem is spelling, try the spell check at the bottom of the message mode. thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
WHO WHAT ME WAIT I DON'T KNOW.

Last journal entry: Door skins removed
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanier ledford
madnov73
as doc would have said, your basic problem is spelling, try the spell check at the bottom of the message mode. thanks
i didn't know spelling was graded... if so it sucks for me ill just take the f...
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 t
i didn't know spelling was graded... if so it sucks for me ill just take the f...
if clicking a button is too hard I can't imagine anything of quality coming out of your garage.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 PM

wow if had known all you guys cared about was spelling i might have tried harder im glad i learned that this is a place of criticism you probably dont like me cause im a noob and dont care about my spelling but i dont like u cause you're an a** i'll just look for another forum that actually helps people thanx to those who have helped
Old 08-06-2010, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Okay Im still a N00B at a lot of things; However, I plow through probably 80 emails a day and its frustrating to get someone who uses no punctuation, or capitalizes every word...or just plain can't spell. We're trying to help, but make our job a little easier please. My suggestion? 64cc vortec heads and an edelbrock etc vortec TPI base. check 3rdgen.org for used ones. I would also take the time with a die grinder and open up the upper plenum and open the upper plenum ports to match the runners if necessary.

you could get 88 and later corvette aluminum tpi heads, but you need the vette egr setup (its on the back of the vette tpi manifold)

If you want earlier heads...Dart IK180s are nice or the old standby iron eagles still get the job done. I still argue with my dad about "fuelie heads" He insists the cost of quality valves and aluminum heads doesnt outweigh the supposed intrinsic power of these 50yr old mythical junkers. ::shrug:: for a street car or a truck who cares either way. Make it work well.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:14 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

And once again a product of our modern education system and parents that just didn't give a damn whether their kid got good grades in school has left the building because nobody could understand his pathetic attempts at communicating with his fellow human beings. Gosh! I feel so bad about it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.