Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   350 high starter choice? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/350-high-starter-choice-229015.html)

Jaykobo 01-31-2013 09:30 AM

350 high starter choice?

Hi all:)

I have 350 TBI engine with CR 10.5 cadillac RWD 1990

when the engine warm it's hard to crank as and looks like a dead battery..I replace it with new higher AMPs....it's help little but the problem is still

the starter is OEM GM and :rolleyes:...I bought another OEM and do the same

I think it's need high torqe starter:D

so which brand offer good new good starter.....I found many and don't know which to buy:drunk:

my engine have full length headrs.....and want one fit

vinniekq2 01-31-2013 09:55 AM

check the cables and clamps. I use the full size high torque starter that Warren Johnson uses.In car for 10 years now,bought it from Lukovich

cdminter59 01-31-2013 10:20 AM

350 high starter choice?

Do you know what flexplate you have? 153 tooth or 168 tooth. Does your starter have inline bolt holes or staggered.

Jaykobo 01-31-2013 10:32 AM

it's staggered bolts ....I already checked the cable......all are 100%

cdminter59 01-31-2013 10:36 AM

350 high starter choice?

Is the engine a 5.7 Chevrolet engine or Cadillac engine.

Jaykobo 01-31-2013 10:37 AM

Forget to told you the fly wheel is 168 teeth

I see in summit many starters......tuff stuff ,summit,Proform High-Compression Racing Starters

and most are the same gear ratio...4.40:1 ......and find 6:1 tuff stuff

does 6:1 ratio is good or too much for starting?cos the price is very cheep which is 119$ only

I,m looking for one not more than 160$ us

I google about summit racing about starters and see many gets problem with it....not many recommend it

I,m looking for good quality and sure saving bucks

cdminter59 01-31-2013 10:47 AM

350 high starter choice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykobo (Post 1640913)

I see in summit many starters......tuff stuff ,summit,Proform High-Compression Racing Starters

does 6:1 ratio is good or too much for starting?cos the price is very cheep which is 119$ only

I google about summit racing about starters and see many gets problem with it....not many recommend it

You still didn't answer the question is it a chevrolet motor or a Cadillac motor.

cdminter59 01-31-2013 11:12 AM

350 high starter choice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykobo (Post 1640913)

Good luck finding a high torque mini starter that is any good for $160.

Jaykobo 01-31-2013 11:13 AM

it's cadillac brogham 1990 RWD TBI .....it have the same engine and trans of chevy parts..nothing changed

cdminter59 01-31-2013 07:27 PM

350 high starter choice?

Check out these starters. These are 3 hp and should turn your motor with ease. The only thing it doesn't say if it's for staggered bolt pattern. You will have to call to find out. I read about them on chevelle and corvette forums which said the Tilton was the best. CHEVY SMALL BLOCK/BIG BLOCK 3HP TILTON STYLE HIGH TORQUE GEAR REDUCTION RACING STARTER - BLACK

cobalt327 01-31-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdminter59 (Post 1641121)
Check out these starters. These are 3 hp and should turn your motor with ease. The only thing it doesn't say if it's for staggered bolt pattern. You will have to call to find out. I read about them on chevelle and corvette forums which said the Tilton was the best. CHEVY SMALL BLOCK/BIG BLOCK 3HP TILTON STYLE HIGH TORQUE GEAR REDUCTION RACING STARTER - BLACK

To use that starter there needs to be the straight across bolt holes in the block in good condition (not stripped or cracked casting where the starter mounts), as used w/the 153 T flywheel/flexplate. The starter will work on either size fly/flex using the straight across holes by using the different holes in the starter's nose.

Jaykobo 02-01-2013 01:12 AM

thanks.but want to ask about something

does the higher gear ratio make a better crancking?and does it need more ampers?

I was looking in summitracing and see most use 4.40 gear ratio

Proform High-Compression Racing Starters 67050 - SummitRacing.com

Proform High-Compression Racing Starters 67052 - SummitRacing.com

Tuff Stuff Gear Reduction Starters 6550B - SummitRacing.com

the last is 6:1 ratio

I will just take a round and see what can I found...thanks for the CFR starter...I will thinking about too

cobalt327 02-01-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaykobo (Post 1641208)
thanks.but want to ask about something

does the higher gear ratio make a better crancking?and does it need more ampers?

I was looking in summitracing and see most use 4.40 gear ratio

Proform High-Compression Racing Starters 67050 - SummitRacing.com

Proform High-Compression Racing Starters 67052 - SummitRacing.com

Tuff Stuff Gear Reduction Starters 6550B - SummitRacing.com

the last is 6:1 ratio

I will just take a round and see what can I found...thanks for the CFR starter...I will thinking about too

The 6:1 starter is using that ratio to overcome having a less powerful motor. It will work on either size flexplate. The Proform starters have to match the size of the flexplate, they're not a "one size fits both" deal, but they're more powerful.

Besides the battery voltage, the amp draw of the starter will depend on the armature windings/field strength and the amount of load the starter sees. It would be expected that a gear reduction starter wouldn't draw as much current as a non gear reduction starter all else being equal, due to the mechanical advantage it has.

Jaykobo 02-02-2013 05:41 AM

I just buy 2 starters

will see which better

http://www.cfrperformance.com/CHEVY_...-s2107-pbk.htm

and the summitracing Proform High-Compression Racing Starters 67052 "china copy of denso starters" as I find in google

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-67052

thank you guys for your helps

gearheadslife 02-02-2013 07:21 AM

save you money, and just buy a remote starter selnoid kit.
it'll stop the heat soak hard starting..

jegs/summit/mad engineering. all sell them..
the kit is basicly a ford style selnoid and cables..
25-40 bucks..