Hot Rod Forum banner

350 hp?

3K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  BuzzLOL 
#1 ·
Hello guys...im new here....

I have a chevy 350 #3970010 bored .040 with stock 487 heads...comp cam #k12-600-4 and edelbrock performer torker ll intake manifold with edel brock 600cfm carb..also has headers...summit racing 8psi fuel pump and brand new distributor and wires an plugs...About how much horsepower could it be? At least 300hp? Idk ... Anyone know what a combo like this mite make?

This post has been deleted
#35 ·
Well its over kill but these pistons are flat tops that set .015 higher in the bore. So they change your deck to .010. Along with the flat top design you will get 9.6:1 with 72 cc heads. This should work out a lot of your issues. You may try calling the seller and ask if hes got a cheaper none forged set of pistons that will raise the compression like this set. At 400 bucks these forged units are over kill.

SBC Chevy 350 Wiseco Forged Pistons Rings 040 Over Flat Top KP422A4 4 040 Ft | eBay

If you got another 650 or so these will up the power level a lot more than those old cast iron heads.

NKB 200 Aluminum Heads 64cc Chambers 200cc SBC Chevy 327 350 355 383 NKB 200 272 | eBay

These two should do the job and plus some. These two could change the build to a fire breather Just depends if you got the bucks to spend. The forged pistons are just over kill but maybe you can find a similar set made in the hyper pistons.

Hope this helps.
Switching to those forged pistons is likely to run him into balancing issues depending the weight.They may be close enough not to matter.They would help the compression issue.

#36 ·
I bot the truck with the motor in it...and pulled it an so yaa...i dont realy kno the history of it to much... To answer your question joker.... But thanks guys you hav givin me all sorts of options on what to do to make it better...ill see what i can do....its no rush

#37 ·
You've got alot of options to choose from besides pouring alot of money into a flat tappet smog motor.When you get thru if done correctly, the block & crank will be the only original parts & the block is already .040" over.Depending on how much machine work is needed, you could easily sink $2000 into this real quik.
Another option would be a brand new L31/Vortec for approx $2000.This is a brand new motor complete with oil pan, valve covers,& balancer.It will have a roller cam/lifter setup,1 pc rear seal, Vortec heads & bolt rite into your truck.It will require a Vortec specific intake & a flywheel for 1 pc rear seal crank.With a good intake, carb,& exhaust, you will be in the 300 HP range.A mild cam swap can get you to 350 HP easily & still be very dependable & usable as a truck.Even buying a used L31 would be a much better platform to start with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.