Hot Rod Forum banner

350 identification

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  techinspector1 
#1 ·
So i have this block its a 350 4 bolt main externally balanced i think driverside dipstick it doesnt have very many miles i think it might be a roller block 1 piece rear main. My questions are should i use this block or my older 70's style high nickel block 2 bolt main plan on stroking it and throwing some afrs on it nothing to wicked crazy and is this a roller block

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes it's a roller block that was factory installed with a flat tappet cam. THe clue that gives it away is with the flat tappet cam the lifters aren't exposed outside the lifter bores. I stopped using flat tappet blocks a long time ago, don't care if they're high nickel, lo nickel, no nickel. Once you go roller you never go back. If you want to use the roller block then first make sure it has all the provisions, such as the cam retainer plate bolts behind the timing sprocket. If you plan to use a mechanical fuel pump make sure the fuel pump rod has been drilled. The date code of the block shows a casting date of
March 10th 1989 at around 11:30.

#4 ·
Yes it's a roller block that was factory installed with a flat tappet cam. THe clue that gives it away is with the flat tappet cam the lifters aren't exposed outside the lifter bores.
Yes, it is a roller block, but the flat tappet cam could also have been installed by someone who previously owned the block. Spot-faced lifter bores to accomodate dog bones and the 3 bosses on the center oil galley for bolting in the spider also ID it as a roller.

The OP says it is externally balanced. Is he seeing a 400 damper on the crank? Perhaps the previous owner installed a 3.750" arm and the motor is a 383?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.