Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 Leak
Thread: 350 Leak
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2005, 08:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 Leak

I have a turbo 350 in my 72 Chevy Pickup and it had a cork pan gasket when I bought it that leaked badly. I replace the filter and put in a new thin rubber gasket that came with the kit. This one leaked as bad. I asked the guy at NAPA why it would be leaking and he said it was because I use RTV sealant with it. I thought Bull! I went to my local speed shop and he recommended a product called Right Stuff. I comes in a can and sprays out a bead like a caulking gun. I used it and let the car sit until the material hardened. I started it up and it looked good until I drove it around for awhile. The pan is still leaking but not as bad but in more places.

In each case I torqued the bolts down to 12 ft pounds per the specs in the kit. I went back and tightened them to 15 with the rubber gasket with no help. I hand tightened the Right Stuff gasket a little more with no help. The pan is in good shape. I dimpled the bolt holes a little before using the Right Stuff and put sealer around them.

Any suggestions on how to get this thing to stop leaking? Fluid is getting all over my new exhaust and burning on. Any suggestions on how to get that cleaned off?

Thanks for the help