350 Motor Carb/Motor trouble - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

350 Motor Carb/Motor trouble

Hello,

My name is bobby and i own an 85 Trans Am. I got the car a little over a year ago and it's has been a project by all means of the word.

A few days ago the cars pick up coil went out and the distributor was pulled and we finally got it back in. During this whole process we replaced the ignition module and the spark plugs. We set the timing to 8 where we had it before and it cranked right up. When it's idling in park it runs fine and you can step on the gas and it revs nicely. But when you put the car in gear and barely get into the gas the car tries to die and the smell of gas is overwhelming. Before pulling the distributor the car wasn't running rich it was actually running very lean. When we were adjusting the timing the car backfired a couple of times but the carb is a holley 670 street avenger and it has the power valve blow out protection system or what not. When you get on the accelerator and let off about 1/3 let offs there is a small backfire some come through the carb others through the exhaust. Anyone have a clue as to what might stop the backfiring and lean the carb back up when it's in gear? I would much appreciate the advice.

Chevy 350 out of a 77 el camino
Vortec Heads
Medium Sized Lunati Cam
Holley 670 Street Avenger electric choke and vacuum secondaries
350 Turbo transmission although i have a 700r4 i plan to put in soon

Thanks guys
Bobby

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicFirebird
Hello,

My name is bobby and i own an 85 Trans Am. I got the car a little over a year ago and it's has been a project by all means of the word.

A few days ago the cars pick up coil went out and the distributor was pulled and we finally got it back in. During this whole process we replaced the ignition module and the spark plugs. We set the timing to 8 where we had it before and it cranked right up. When it's idling in park it runs fine and you can step on the gas and it revs nicely. But when you put the car in gear and barely get into the gas the car tries to die and the smell of gas is overwhelming. Before pulling the distributor the car wasn't running rich it was actually running very lean. When we were adjusting the timing the car backfired a couple of times but the carb is a holley 670 street avenger and it has the power valve blow out protection system or what not. When you get on the accelerator and let off about 1/3 let offs there is a small backfire some come through the carb others through the exhaust. Anyone have a clue as to what might stop the backfiring and lean the carb back up when it's in gear? I would much appreciate the advice.

Chevy 350 out of a 77 el camino
Vortec Heads
Medium Sized Lunati Cam
Holley 670 Street Avenger electric choke and vacuum secondaries
350 Turbo transmission although i have a 700r4 i plan to put in soon

Thanks guys
Bobby
Sounds to me like you did blow out the power valve. And even though the carb has the blowout protection they will still blow out trust me and it also sounds like the timing may still be out too. JMO popping through the carb can also be the cam going flat or even a vacuum leak can cause it. But i would be checking into the power-valve and timing first IMHO and has anyone been trying to tune the carb?

Cole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.