Hot Rod Forum banner

350 Motor ping only when I accelerating

26K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  BogiesAnnex1 
#1 ·
:welcome: my 1974 Chevy 350 motor pinging only when I'm accelerating?

#3 ·
low octane gas when you might need higher octane
I will Try a Can of Higher Octane 104
The 350 Motor sit in a 1951 Chevy Truck with Auto Trans, 4bl it just started doing the ping when I accelerating, we take the truck to show and it sit in a warn gargae maybe week at a times

#7 ·
Im having the same issue in my 50 Ford F1. I think mine is related to timing and Im going to recheck it tonight.

I replaced my valve springs and pushrods and now have this issue.

I also got it when I put bad 89 gas in it, before this valvespring replacement. I put the octane boost in and that did clear the issue too.

What about too much fuel pressure- Throwing too much gas into the intake?

just my two cents

#8 ·
At any given time, how old would the gas in the tank be?

The motor may be detonating at all engine speeds, not just when accelerating, but may be less loud so that you cannot hear it over the operation of the engine and drivetrain.

The reason you hear it better under acceleration is that the system is coming up on its efficiency and packing the cylinders better than it can at lower rpm's and a light throttle.

#9 ·
sbc pinging

I have a pinging problem in my 350/400 hp sbc. I currently have a mallory unilite distributor . I tried setting my timing at 35,34,33 total timing at 3,000 rpm and still have the problem then i tried base timing at 8 and 10 btdc and lower, the engine ran bad. i started adjusting the allan key adjustment in the vacum advance canister counter clock wise to reduce the advance curve and want to know if anyone agrees i am on the right track or if anyone has any suggestions. thanks vinny

#11 ·
I have a pinging problem in my 350/400 hp sbc. I currently have a mallory unilite distributor . I tried setting my timing at 35,34,33 total timing at 3,000 rpm and still have the problem then i tried base timing at 8 and 10 btdc and lower, the engine ran bad. i started adjusting the allan key adjustment in the vacum advance canister counter clock wise to reduce the advance curve and want to know if anyone agrees i am on the right track or if anyone has any suggestions. thanks vinny
Depends under what conditions it pings. Pinging under acceleration has different causes than at cruise or at WOT. The big players are compression ratio, ignition advance, and mixture ratio. Other players are engine operating temperature, intake air temperature, and gearing which includes the effects of tire diameter.

So having an understanding of the engine's and vehicle's configuration, and under what circumstances it pings is necessary information to figure out the whys and remidies.

Bogie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.