350 - No oil pressure at 500rpm idling - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

350 - No oil pressure at 500rpm idling

I got some new guages in my 74 nova and just got all the tranny work done and some intake problems taken care of. I have a new electric oil pressure guage and it seems to be reading fine. When the car was idling in park I had about 10 psi oil pressure at around 750 rpm. Then once the engine warmed up(guage in head read 180) the car was idling at just over 500 rpm in first gear during rush hour and I had no oil pressure. The needle was resting against the pin. I ended up putting it in park and holding it at about 1200 rpm.

I'm thinking it may be the oil I'm using and my idle being really low but I'm not sure. It was 25 degrees celcius today and I was in rush hour traffic. At 1200 rpm the engine was putting 15-20 psi of oil. I had a really cheap guage in the car last fall but it seemed to be reading about the same.

I have a 2000-2500 stall in the car right now. I could easily bump the idle up. I'm a high school student and gas is at 1.13 a litre right now. Don't really enjoy getting 8mpg at that price though. I'd hate to see it after I bumped my idle way up.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

I know you said you do not want to raise the idle, but just as a test bump the idle up to 700-800 and take a look at the gauge and see if you have a safe amount of pressure.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

Might aswell ask now. What would a safe level be with a warm engine and a cold engine? Stock 350, edelbrock intake and 650 thunder carb. I'm running 10w30 oil right now. I'm thinking of switching to synthetic dynasaur goup.

Idling at about 700
Old 05-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Keep in mind most oil pressure gauges are not accurate below 10 psi, However, my 4.3 chevy V6 I just finished building idles around 700 rpm and has 35 psi oil pressure, if you rev up to 1200 RPM and have 15 psi, then I`d say the bearings are worn and it will soon need a rebuild. You can crutch things and run a thicker oil like 20w 50, and that may get you a few more psi, but if the oil pressure is that low then I`d say the writings on the wall. If you switch to synthetic and the engine has high mileage, it`s likely it`ll start to burn oil and the oil pressure won`t be any higher. How many miles are on the engine? If you raised the idle to 700 or so it won`t effect fuel economy.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

I'm not actually sure about the engine. I was told when I bought the car(engine was in the guys garage) that the 350 was rebuilt. I'm really starting to think that it was a spray can rebuild. There were signs the other day of blowby on the rings. Smoke was coming past the breathers.

I'm hoping the engine will last until the end of july. I'm a student but I have july and august off so I can work full time and afford the parts to build up an engine. I was hoping 383 but its looking like 350 with cam.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

I just remembered another discussion on these forums a while ago where people were removing the oilpans on vehicles with the motor still in. Once the oilpan is out it shouldn't be a problem getting the oilpump off and replaced. This should fix the problem shouldn't it?

I'm thinking it would be a weekend project to pull the distributor, take off the motor mounts and jack up the engine so I could take the oilpan off and replace the pump. Does this sound about accurate? I've bought some 20w50 motor oil and I'll use that this week for the mile drive to school and back ever day. I'm hoping I can just replace the oilpump next weekend.

Does this sound like something I should do? Would there be any benefit of going to a highflow oilpump and deep pan?
Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 PM

I had the same problem on a Ford 302. It didn't take long to lock the oil pump up and shear the driveshaft of the pump. Also was told it was newly rebuilt (was complete BS... ). I put a new oil pump in with the engine still installed, and still had the same problem. Defineately time for a rebuild......
Old 05-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Ford Man to the bone!!!

Last photo:

I had a 289 years ago with really low oil pressure. Even after new rings and rod/crank bearings. (A basic rebuild done in my garage by me.) It read 0 psi on a cheap gauge but had 5 psi on a good Stewart Warner gauge. I pulled the valve covers and could see oil getting to the rocker arms so I knew it was pumping oil.

When I rebuilt it again later I had the motor line honed and new cam bearings installed. Pressure went up to 25 psi at idle. If the rebuilder did a home rebuild and left the old cam bearing in then that would explain things.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Newskool

Last photo:

I'm planning on building up a new engine soon if I can. I'm only hoping to make this thing last until atleast the end of July or the fall. That way I can have a new motor ready.

I figure if I do go out and spend $200 on a deep pan and highflow oil pump it can be swapped to the new motor. Is this a good idea? I will be building up another 350 just with a cam in it. I'm thinking about redoing the cam in this motor aswell in the near future. If I do both shouldn't that solve the oiling problem? I noticed that the engine doesn't seem to be blowing smoke once its warmed up. So the rings shouldn't be too bad. Shouldn't they?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Thing is the problem isn`t the oil pump`s worn out, the problem is excessive clearences at the rod/main bearings and the cam bearings, a high volume oil pump is only a crutch and it likely won`t help any. For a street engine you don`t need a high volume oil pump as a standard oil pump works fine. The small block chevy oiling system is one of the best oiling systems ever, so a high volume pump on your new build is just wasted power, as it takes more power to drive the higher volume pump. As for your engines condition I wouldn`t worry about it, I would just go to heavier oil and run STP oil treatment, the thicker oil will help somewhat. I used to have a sbc 350 where the gauge went to 0 when the car was at idle and I ran it like that a long time. As long as you don`t hear the rocker arms clattering don`t worry about it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.