Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 350 with odd casting number...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Chapter Founder

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I fail to see what the suffix code will tell you that is of any real value. Things like what foundry cast it, and the assembly month and day, and what vehicle the engine was installed in originally means basically nothing in the greater scheme of things.

What you want to know AFA for buying parts, etc. is the displacement and when the block was cast- and even the date isn't important if you can tell if the crank is a large or small journal, if it has a 1 or 2 piece rear main seal, and whether it is equipped to use a factory hydraulic cam.
It's displacement is 358, a 4 bolt main with a .480 lift cam and the casting number is still visible so I'll post those numbers soon. I really appreciate everyone's help, almost nobody I know knows about cars so extra advice is appreciated. Here is a pic of the flyer from when I bought it and the guy had no idea what was going on because he bought it and never started working on it himself.